X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filius
    replied
    Re: ZX Spectrum: HiVi M6A + BG Neo3 PDRW

Since my parts are on back-order I have nothing better to do, so I googled the drivers for the Spectrum. I found the spec sheet for the M6a, which says 14L is the recommended box size. Whereas the Spectrum's box size is 30L. ( http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=78 )

I'm not suggesting that the Spectrum's box size is wrong, just asking for educational purposes. What does HiVi base its recommended box size on? And is there really that much flexibility in suitable box sizes for a given driver, so that you can make it twice as big and still get a good result?

Leave a comment:

• Filius
    replied

I did google it. I had no idea this was going on. Good to know!

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

Google: "Loudness war"
    (sigh) very sad.

Leave a comment:

• Filius
    replied

Ahh! Excellent explanation, thanks! I will try to pay attention to that when I listen to my older CDs.

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

New recordings, with the general exception of jazz and classical, have the dynamic range (difference between loudest and softest sounds) greatly compressed to allow the overall recording to be louder. From a psychoacoustic perspective, the brain identifies louder as better. The compression of dynamic range results in losing a lot of nuance and detail. Easily demonstrated by comparing a new CD and a CD from the very early 90s or earlier.

Originally posted by Filius View Post
    What does "compressed" mean in this context? I assume you're not just talking about it being in MP3 format, or are you?

Leave a comment:

• Filius
    replied

Originally posted by Operandi View Post
    The thing is I listen to mostly modern music and while some of it has excellent recording and production most of it is pretty heavily compressed.
    What does "compressed" mean in this context? I assume you're not just talking about it being in MP3 format, or are you?

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

Operandi, from what you're saying, I think the ZX Spectrum will fit the bill just right. Let us know how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• Operandi
    replied

Just read the write up on your site, cool speaker Pual, thanks for sharing.

I'm looking to build a bigger two way this summer so this is going on my list. My goals are.

1. A lower distortion sound my TriTrix MT. The TriTrix are great speakers, I would consider their tonality to be just about perfect but they don't have some of the detail and don't disappear in the room the way some of the speakers with higher-end drivers do. I would assume that the Spectrum would be a big improvement over the TriTrix?

The thing is I listen to mostly modern music and while some of it has excellent recording and production most of it is pretty heavily compressed. I'm a bit afraid that something based on the RS drivers like the Amigia be a bit fatiguing for some of the music I listen to which led me to think the Spectrums would be a better choice.

2. I would like a bit more bass and quite a bit more output than what the TriTrix can muster. It seems like the Spectrums should have no problem in that regard.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Schumacher
    replied

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
    Nonsense!

I, for one, want to build a big 3-way called "The Colossus" and a single-driver speaker called the "Zuse".
    Would a pair of Colossuses be properly termed, Colossi?

And don't forget another famous computer.

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do . . .

Sorry Dave, I can't do that.

Dave? Dave's not here.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

See? I already thought of another question.

How vital is the flare? I foolishly went and ordered my parts before I got an answer to that question. Now if I order flared port tubes I won't get the free shipping on them, plus the fact that they're $10 each.

If the flares make a big difference I may go ahead and spring for them. But can I get by with plain unflared PVC? If so, what should the length be?
    Meh. don't sweat the flares. Mine are only 1/2" or so... probably not enough to make a noticeable difference. I pretty much just did it because it looked nice.

Leave a comment:

• Filius
    replied

See? I already thought of another question.

How vital is the flare? I foolishly went and ordered my parts before I got an answer to that question. Now if I order flared port tubes I won't get the free shipping on them, plus the fact that they're $10 each.

If the flares make a big difference I may go ahead and spring for them. But can I get by with plain unflared PVC? If so, what should the length be?

Leave a comment:

• Filius
    replied

Thanks a lot, Paul. I'll pester you again shortly no doubt.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

I'm getting ready to order parts and start building these. A few questions for Paul C. or anyone else who might know the answers:

Regarding the cabinets: The cabinet is the same as the TRS80/Amiga cabinet. Under the TRS80 write-up, it says that you have the option of putting in an internal shelf 22.75" down from the top, to make the cabinet volume 22 liters. The ZXS write-up says the cab is 30 liters but doesn't mention the option of making it 22 liters. Would the 22-liter cabinet work and is it recommended for any reason?
    If you look at the third paragraph, it describes a 22L enclosure...
    For a bookshelf design, you could build this into the Parts Express .75 cubic ft MTM enclosure. You will need a 2" diameter vent that is 3.5" long. This will get an F3 of 42 Hz. But fear not; these HiVi M6A have bass that kicks *** and takes names!
    You could do this in a bookshelf (PE dimensions), or the Amiga cabinet with a shelf--although honestly, if you have that extra room, might as well use the volume to gain bass extension.

Regarding the vent tube: The ZXS write-up says it should be 2" dia., 3.5" long. Am I right that there is no flare? I ask because the Amiga write-up mentions the same size tube but with a flare. Is the flare omitted on the ZXS on purpose?
    Sorry for the confusion. The vent has a slight flare... 3/8" or 1/2", I forget.

Regarding stuffing: The Amiga write-up mentions "There is also a wad of stuffing resting in the bottom 1/4" of the cabinet". By any chance did you actually mean stuffing in the bottom 1/4 of the cabinet? Or does it literally mean stuffing compressed to 1/4 of an inch of thickness?
    I mean putting poly fil lightly in the bottom 1/4 of the cabinet. Not 1/4"... thanks for catching the typo. I'll fix it.

Originally posted by parodielin View Post
    How does the Neo3 mount to the faceplate? Are there clicks or something for the Neo3 to mount to the faceplate? I think the screw holes I see on the faceplate are for mounting to the baffle.
    The tweeter screws to the back of the faceplate with very short screws.

Leave a comment:

• parodielin
    replied

Could I ask a dumb *** question?

How does the Neo3 mount to the faceplate? Are there clicks or something for the Neo3 to mount to the faceplate? I think the screw holes I see on the faceplate are for mounting to the baffle.

Leave a comment:

• Filius
    replied

I'm getting ready to order parts and start building these. A few questions for Paul C. or anyone else who might know the answers:

Regarding the cabinets: The cabinet is the same as the TRS80/Amiga cabinet. Under the TRS80 write-up, it says that you have the option of putting in an internal shelf 22.75" down from the top, to make the cabinet volume 22 liters. The ZXS write-up says the cab is 30 liters but doesn't mention the option of making it 22 liters. Would the 22-liter cabinet work and is it recommended for any reason?

Regarding the vent tube: The ZXS write-up says it should be 2" dia., 3.5" long. Am I right that there is no flare? I ask because the Amiga write-up mentions the same size tube but with a flare. Is the flare omitted on the ZXS on purpose?

Regarding stuffing: The Amiga write-up mentions "There is also a wad of stuffing resting in the bottom 1/4" of the cabinet". By any chance did you actually mean stuffing in the bottom 1/4 of the cabinet? Or does it literally mean stuffing compressed to 1/4 of an inch of thickness?

As always, your help is much appreciated!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X