Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ZX Spectrum: HiVi M6A + BG Neo3 PDRW

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
    No. Resistors do not change the slope/rolloff, but can change damping at the knee of the rolloff.
    Later,
    Wolf
    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ligs View Post
      I borrowed your high pass XO with a simple LC 2nd order electrical(1.8 mh, 15 uf and a tank of 0.68 uf--3 ohm across the 1.8 mH 14 AWG air core) to the K-6.5 woofer. The system sounds very smooth and quite polite and may need less attenuation to the tweeter? I can not find any irrating quality at all.

Let me know if and when you can go ahead with the design and I can act accordingly.
      So wait, you already have the Klipsch woofer and BG Neo3 hooked up and in a cabinet? If so, why do you need me? Seriously, though, if you're already that far along, you can just send me your project files and I'll help you out.
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
        So wait, you already have the Klipsch woofer and BG Neo3 hooked up and in a cabinet? If so, why do you need me? Seriously, though, if you're already that far along, you can just send me your project files and I'll help you out.
        Paul,

I have to confess that I am not savy enough to run computer sims nor I have the measuring capability at home:( But I like to tweak and I can solder therefore I did the following things:

K 6.5 is mounted in a 0.45 ft3 vented enclosure( 2 inch diameter rear vent 5 inches long). The baffle front is 10 inches wide. BG Neo 3 PDR is mounted on a separate baffle for now.

Version 1 using Ron E's Krystal XO.

Version 2 using your ZX Spectrum XO.

The woofer low pass is kept the same.

I believe the integration between woofer and tweeter needs some work. Any tip is highly appreciated. Thanks
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ligs; 01-10-2011, 07:44 AM.

Comment

I'm getting ready to order parts and start building these. A few questions for Paul C. or anyone else who might know the answers:

Regarding the cabinets: The cabinet is the same as the TRS80/Amiga cabinet. Under the TRS80 write-up, it says that you have the option of putting in an internal shelf 22.75" down from the top, to make the cabinet volume 22 liters. The ZXS write-up says the cab is 30 liters but doesn't mention the option of making it 22 liters. Would the 22-liter cabinet work and is it recommended for any reason?

Regarding the vent tube: The ZXS write-up says it should be 2" dia., 3.5" long. Am I right that there is no flare? I ask because the Amiga write-up mentions the same size tube but with a flare. Is the flare omitted on the ZXS on purpose?

Regarding stuffing: The Amiga write-up mentions "There is also a wad of stuffing resting in the bottom 1/4" of the cabinet". By any chance did you actually mean stuffing in the bottom 1/4 of the cabinet? Or does it literally mean stuffing compressed to 1/4 of an inch of thickness?

As always, your help is much appreciated!

Comment

Could I ask a dumb *** question?

How does the Neo3 mount to the faceplate? Are there clicks or something for the Neo3 to mount to the faceplate? I think the screw holes I see on the faceplate are for mounting to the baffle.

Comment

Originally posted by Filius View Post
              I'm getting ready to order parts and start building these. A few questions for Paul C. or anyone else who might know the answers:

Regarding the cabinets: The cabinet is the same as the TRS80/Amiga cabinet. Under the TRS80 write-up, it says that you have the option of putting in an internal shelf 22.75" down from the top, to make the cabinet volume 22 liters. The ZXS write-up says the cab is 30 liters but doesn't mention the option of making it 22 liters. Would the 22-liter cabinet work and is it recommended for any reason?
              If you look at the third paragraph, it describes a 22L enclosure...
              For a bookshelf design, you could build this into the Parts Express .75 cubic ft MTM enclosure. You will need a 2" diameter vent that is 3.5" long. This will get an F3 of 42 Hz. But fear not; these HiVi M6A have bass that kicks *** and takes names!
              You could do this in a bookshelf (PE dimensions), or the Amiga cabinet with a shelf--although honestly, if you have that extra room, might as well use the volume to gain bass extension.

Regarding the vent tube: The ZXS write-up says it should be 2" dia., 3.5" long. Am I right that there is no flare? I ask because the Amiga write-up mentions the same size tube but with a flare. Is the flare omitted on the ZXS on purpose?
              Sorry for the confusion. The vent has a slight flare... 3/8" or 1/2", I forget.

Regarding stuffing: The Amiga write-up mentions "There is also a wad of stuffing resting in the bottom 1/4" of the cabinet". By any chance did you actually mean stuffing in the bottom 1/4 of the cabinet? Or does it literally mean stuffing compressed to 1/4 of an inch of thickness?
              I mean putting poly fil lightly in the bottom 1/4 of the cabinet. Not 1/4"... thanks for catching the typo. I'll fix it.

Originally posted by parodielin View Post
              How does the Neo3 mount to the faceplate? Are there clicks or something for the Neo3 to mount to the faceplate? I think the screw holes I see on the faceplate are for mounting to the baffle.
              The tweeter screws to the back of the faceplate with very short screws.

Comment

Thanks a lot, Paul. I'll pester you again shortly no doubt.

Comment

See? I already thought of another question.

How vital is the flare? I foolishly went and ordered my parts before I got an answer to that question. Now if I order flared port tubes I won't get the free shipping on them, plus the fact that they're $10 each.

If the flares make a big difference I may go ahead and spring for them. But can I get by with plain unflared PVC? If so, what should the length be?

Comment

See? I already thought of another question.

How vital is the flare? I foolishly went and ordered my parts before I got an answer to that question. Now if I order flared port tubes I won't get the free shipping on them, plus the fact that they're $10 each.

If the flares make a big difference I may go ahead and spring for them. But can I get by with plain unflared PVC? If so, what should the length be?
                    Meh. don't sweat the flares. Mine are only 1/2" or so... probably not enough to make a noticeable difference. I pretty much just did it because it looked nice.

Comment

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
                      Nonsense!

I, for one, want to build a big 3-way called "The Colossus" and a single-driver speaker called the "Zuse".
                      Would a pair of Colossuses be properly termed, Colossi?

And don't forget another famous computer.

Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do . . .

Sorry Dave, I can't do that.

Dave? Dave's not here.
                      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Just read the write up on your site, cool speaker Pual, thanks for sharing.

I'm looking to build a bigger two way this summer so this is going on my list. My goals are.

1. A lower distortion sound my TriTrix MT. The TriTrix are great speakers, I would consider their tonality to be just about perfect but they don't have some of the detail and don't disappear in the room the way some of the speakers with higher-end drivers do. I would assume that the Spectrum would be a big improvement over the TriTrix?

The thing is I listen to mostly modern music and while some of it has excellent recording and production most of it is pretty heavily compressed. I'm a bit afraid that something based on the RS drivers like the Amigia be a bit fatiguing for some of the music I listen to which led me to think the Spectrums would be a better choice.

2. I would like a bit more bass and quite a bit more output than what the TriTrix can muster. It seems like the Spectrums should have no problem in that regard.

Comment

Operandi, from what you're saying, I think the ZX Spectrum will fit the bill just right. Let us know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Operandi View Post
                            The thing is I listen to mostly modern music and while some of it has excellent recording and production most of it is pretty heavily compressed.
                            What does "compressed" mean in this context? I assume you're not just talking about it being in MP3 format, or are you?

Comment

New recordings, with the general exception of jazz and classical, have the dynamic range (difference between loudest and softest sounds) greatly compressed to allow the overall recording to be louder. From a psychoacoustic perspective, the brain identifies louder as better. The compression of dynamic range results in losing a lot of nuance and detail. Easily demonstrated by comparing a new CD and a CD from the very early 90s or earlier.

What does "compressed" mean in this context? I assume you're not just talking about it being in MP3 format, or are you?
                              I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                              OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                              Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                              Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                              Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                              LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Ahh! Excellent explanation, thanks! I will try to pay attention to that when I listen to my older CDs.

Comment

Working...
                                X