X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewski
    replied
    Re: 2.5 way project SB29/FW168

I had a PM on how these would look with the SB25 tweeter in them so did a model before crashing. There's a 3DB shift from 3K to 4K that was a compromise between the Impedance dip in the high pass and the frequency shift. I've added the schematics for the SB25 version that was inquired about.

Take it easy
    Jay
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brewski; 07-17-2010, 09:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

Originally posted by gc1 View Post
    Well those worked out real nice!! Love those Advent cabinets!!
    Thanks they've been a fun if not somewhat painful introduction to DIY. Once I've really got the finish finished I'll add some pictures to the projects gallery. I still want to repaint the black veneer and make a small base for them to sit on.

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Well those worked out real nice!! Love those Advent cabinets!!

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    started a topic 2.5 way project SB29/FW168

2.5 way project SB29/FW168

The project started off as purchasing a set of advent laureates for the cabinets so the speaker's external dimensions are 9" wide x 33" tall x 12" deep. The internal volume is 1.4 cubic feet. A rear port was added that is 2" wide by 4" deep to the back. My recommendation if building these is to build your own cabinet rather than retrofitting the advent cabs it will be less painful in the long run.

The tweeter is the SB 29RDCN ring radiator and the woofers are Fountek FW 168's. I ran a few models of the crossover past Wolf seeking help taming the woofers breakup. With his help the crossover components are as follows.

Tweeter high pass:
    *R10 2.7 Ohms
    C9 15 uF
    C10 27 uF
    L9 0.15 mH
    R3 3.3 Ohms
    C12 4 uF

Woofer pass:
    L1 0.8 mH
    C2 25.0 uF
    C5 8.0 uF
    R3 8.0 Ohms
    L5 0.05 mH

.5 Woofer
    L18 2.71 mH

*This resistor could be increased to pad the tweeter slightly more I'm going to experiment but my current thinking is it's offsetting the floor bounce peak and woofer's lower measurement peak.

Additional info and pictures can be found on the following links:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?albumid=311
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?b=117
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?b=118

Take it easy
    Jay

Notes on the measurements:
    Both Holm and Arta were used during measurements that were taken in my garage. My mic cal file was loaded in Arta which shows that the tweeter measurement is flat but due to ambient noise gating that was occurring at 1000 Hz in Holm I was sceptical of Arta's readings below 1000 Hz. The dip at 300 and peak 600 I'm attributing to floor bounce. The blue measurement is with the port sealed and the red is with the port left open. I'm currently running them port open.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brewski; 07-06-2010, 02:27 AM.
Working...
X