RS150 implementation thoughts....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS150 implementation thoughts....

So I picked up a pair of RS150's and am going to be giving them to my dad in the form of new mains for his H/T.

We aren't looking to be cheap but certainly would like to keep the cost under say $200 total.

Right now I am thinking about building the RS150 TM's.
    http://htguide.com/forum/showthread....6&page=1&pp=35

The reviews seem good, and one thing I really like is that imaging was referenced as being real good. This is important since the potential space for the center channel has a max height of 6 7/8", though my mother would like it gone altogether.:rolleyes:

Also real nice is that there is a no BSC crossover design. This works well cause my dad would like them in the wall/recessed.

If I do go with the RS150 TM I'm not sure which tweeter to go with either.

The room is about 12 x 14 with the tv on the 12ft wall and opens almost entirely into another room that is the same size.

Whaddya think? This is finally going to happen! I swear.
    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Re: RS150 implementation thoughts....

howhttp://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=277-010&utm_source=Flyer&utm_medium=Print&utm_content= 277-010&utm_campaign=Flyer_10D about this one?
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Would I need to redesign the crossover?
      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

what kind of in-wall space do you have? i'm just finishing putting together an RS150-4 based TL inspired by the Copper Project and my overflowing shelf of drivers. I also put together an RS150S-8 & Vifa BC25SC06 bookshelf MT as a christmas gift (that was cheap and sounded good, but probably not as good as the seas tweeter versions) but the TL bass is impressive in comparison to the vented bookshelf.

I think the TL cabinet turned out to be about 34-36" h x 7.5" w x 8 3/4" d. the interior is an estimate because they're 40" tall with a separate tweeter compartment to keep it out of the line and about 2" worth of sand at the bottom as ballast.

just a thought....
        TM (RS125/TB25-302), TM RS150S / Vifa BC25SC06, RS150-4 / Vifa ML-TL, 3CR-AL Ultra Budget: Electric Blue TM, TMM, MTM, Dragonflies , Mounties: Mini HT Satellite,sub for minions

Comment

How about the C-Killas? If you want to do them, I could probably reduce baffle step for you.
          Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
          "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
          Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

Thanks for the idea Patrick but that is way too large for the space they have. Would love to try them for myself sometime though!

Lou, those C-Killas look like they may work perfect. Can I squeeze the depth and make them taller and throw the port on the front?

Comment

So I spoke with dad and he says the maximum space available when he puts the windows in is about 16" of width, 3.5" of depth and no more than 24" tall.

The cab's can stick out a bit so I was thinking a cabinet of 7" wide, 5" deep, and 24" of height and a modified port tube.

Any thoughts on this?

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                So I spoke with dad and he says the maximum space available when he puts the windows in is about 16" of width, 3.5" of depth and no more than 24" tall.

The cab's can stick out a bit so I was thinking a cabinet of 7" wide, 5" deep, and 24" of height and a modified port tube.

Any thoughts on this?
                i think lou's design is a good one. i built something pretty similar last year but with a vifa tweeter and a 2.8k crossover and it has been an extremely well-received christmas present. (the TL is also meant for the unshielded RS150, but the 24" height probably means you'd have drywall as two sides of the cabinet, and probably not the best idea). i think you could probably manage to squish the ported design a little further into the wall if you make it wider... as long as the volume is basically the same and you don't have something like a tall thin tube to set up a standing wave, i don't think a wider enclosures would hurt you.

these also looked pretty decent for that kind of installation:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=302-520
                TM (RS125/TB25-302), TM RS150S / Vifa BC25SC06, RS150-4 / Vifa ML-TL, 3CR-AL Ultra Budget: Electric Blue TM, TMM, MTM, Dragonflies , Mounties: Mini HT Satellite,sub for minions

Comment

Thanks for the idea Patrick but that is way too large for the space they have. Would love to try them for myself sometime though!

Lou, those C-Killas look like they may work perfect. Can I squeeze the depth and make them taller and throw the port on the front?
                  Keep the driver spacing the same and you should be just fine. You might consider a slot port (it could even be down firing). My only concern would be the 5" deep part. Doesn't leave you much inside to pad & damp behind the woofer. I'd look at 1/2" baltic with bracing instead of MDF. Maybe laminate a 1/4" piece of masonite or plywood right behind the woofer

Based on the installation you've described, I don't think you'll need to modify the crossover. Two 1" X 4.25" ports would give you the same tuning. You could use 1" ABS or PVC pipe with an elbow to fit the ports inside the box.

Comment

Originally posted by LouC View Post
                    Keep the driver spacing the same and you should be just fine. You might consider a slot port (it could even be down firing). My only concern would be the 5" deep part. Doesn't leave you much inside to pad & damp behind the woofer. I'd look at 1/2" baltic with bracing instead of MDF. Maybe laminate a 1/4" piece of masonite or plywood right behind the woofer

Based on the installation you've described, I don't think you'll need to modify the crossover. Two 1" X 4.25" ports would give you the same tuning. You could use 1" ABS or PVC pipe with an elbow to fit the ports inside the box.
                    Yes, I wouldn't change driver spacing and was planning on using 1/2" stock for the enclosure with bracing. What happens if instead of stuffing behind the woofer I do so immediately around the motor?

I will have to make a decision on the porting, which I think will be determined by how I want to finish these. Not sure if I want to go wood grain or paint or what. I'll have to confer with the owners.

Thanks Lou.

Comment

Although it's not the least expensive I like the RS28 with the RS150, crossed 4th order at 1400-1500 Hz. It's what I use for surrounds. For HT I have to assume you'll be using a subwoofer, so there's no need to port, in fact a sealed enclosure will sound better. The in-wall space with 16" OC studs is not 16" . . . you can only really count on a bit over 14". You can use a baffle that stands proud of the wall, but taper the edges to the wall rather than having an abrupt offset (to avoid diffraction at the baffle edge). While it is generally better to build a box and slip it into the stud pocket (especially if you can poke through the other wall) it is also possible (a lot depending on that other wall) to use the stud pocket itself as the "enclosure" (closing top and bottom as with fireblocks) and simply screw the baffle to the studs/blocks (gasket all around).

Downsides of in-wall include the fixed location and possibly less satisfactory "sonic image" for music, and less flexibility for "upgrades". Upsides include high WAF and lack of "speaker clutter". I've heard some in-walls that sound quite good . . . much better than TV speakers or most inexpensive AV speaker packages.
                      "It suggests that there is something that is happening in the real system that is not quite captured in the models."

Comment

So I picked up a pair of RS150's and am going to be giving them to my dad in the form of new mains for his H/T.

We aren't looking to be cheap but certainly would like to keep the cost under say $200 total.

Right now I am thinking about building the RS150 TM's.
                        http://htguide.com/forum/showthread....6&page=1&pp=35

The reviews seem good, and one thing I really like is that imaging was referenced as being real good. This is important since the potential space for the center channel has a max height of 6 7/8", though my mother would like it gone altogether.:rolleyes:

Also real nice is that there is a no BSC crossover design. This works well cause my dad would like them in the wall/recessed.

If I do go with the RS150 TM I'm not sure which tweeter to go with either.

The room is about 12 x 14 with the tv on the 12ft wall and opens almost entirely into another room that is the same size.

Whaddya think? This is finally going to happen! I swear.

I built those a couple of years ago and they still sound fine as my HT mains. I used the D28A tweeter. I think the newer D28F are pretty much the same with better hi-end so I would go with them. I put them in the PE curved black gloss .25cf cab
                        BEER: Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I've measured many things I cannot hear; and heard things I cannot measure...

Comment

Yes, I wouldn't change driver spacing and was planning on using 1/2" stock for the enclosure with bracing. What happens if instead of stuffing behind the woofer I do so immediately around the motor?

I will have to make a decision on the porting, which I think will be determined by how I want to finish these. Not sure if I want to go wood grain or paint or what. I'll have to confer with the owners.

Thanks Lou.
                          I'd put some extra mattress topper, fiberglass or foam directly behind the woofer. You're only going to have an inch or two clearance. You might get some back wave reflections in the 2500-3500 range that might make things a bit edgy. The Sonic Barrier does a nice job too. I'd probably add some half depth bracing at odd angles to break up standing waves.

Comment

Oh ok no problem... I can do that no problem. I can do some wicked bracing to break that up. ;-)

Thanks Lou!

Comment

Maybe I am missing it, but I can't find a 5uf cap at PE. Can I use a 5.6uf or can someone link a 5 uf cap? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X