Home audio amps with highpass x-over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home audio amps with highpass x-over

Are there any non ht oriented amps with highpass crossovers? I guess what i am looking for is a home audio equivalent of the amplifiers commonly found in car audio. I am planning on building a 2.1 system with some bravox buyout subwoofers, an nht surplus plate amp, and a pair of zaph's bs3 fullrangers. I am looking for a means of powering the fullrangers and highpassing them at 150hz. It seems that most audio gear that find falls into 2 categories - plain ol' amps with no x-over , or HT recievers with x-overs, but with superfluous features I dont need. Does what i am looking for exist?

Re: Home audio amps with highpass x-over

Please pardon this single thread bump.......

Comment

This one allows crossover at 60, 80, or 100 HZ via a back panel switch.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html
      http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/2150manual.pdf
      9 out of 10 British housewives can't tell the difference between Whizzo Butter and a dead crab.

Comment

Something like this would work to go in front of any type of amp.

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=F-1M

Thats probably about as cheap as it'll get for what you're wanting to do, short of spending a lot of time waiting for a cheap HT amp with highpass capability to come out on ebay or cragislist.

Comment

I understand the not wanting "superfluous" features that come with a HTR, but most of those can usually be disabled/ignored and even the cheap ones have some sort of bass management. THe cheap Sony I am using for my PC system, for example (STR-K502) on the "small" setting, high passes the speakers at something around 150 Hz. It comes with the subwoofer pre-out, and if you use the analog inputs it acts just like an amplifier with a derived subwoofer output.

This day and age, dedicated amplifiers are losing out to the HTR. Stepping up to some of the mid-range Onkyo models gets you a bench measured 150 - 180 wpc (into two channels), low distortion, active "no touch" DSP/EQ and a plethora of other actually useful superfluous features.

The only thing better is to do what Pete Schumacher has done and that is to take the best platform for a pre/pro and stick an amp inside of it. The PC to a whole new level.

Anyways, I apologize for the mini-rant and wish I could help you more but other than the AudioSource I use for measuring and testing out in my garage I am a HTR guy all the way.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Build your own passive line level HP filter to place in front of the full ranger amp.
            http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/f...ssiveHLxo.html

I'd suggest trying the 2nd order HP network. All you really need to know is the input impedance of the amplifier...

C
            Curt's Speaker Design Works

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
            - Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
              The only thing better is to do what Pete Schumacher has done and that is to take the best platform for a pre/pro and stick an amp inside of it. The PC to a whole new level.

Anyways, I apologize for the mini-rant and wish I could help you more but other than the AudioSource I use for measuring and testing out in my garage I am a HTR guy all the way.
              Johnny, I've coined the name for it, and even registered a domain.

The PCeiver . . . what do you think? :D

Not sure when I'll get a site up, but I did register pceiver.com.

Up next is a full 5.1 version for the home theater that includes the amp for a sub.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Johnny, I've coined the name for it, and even registered a domain.

The PCeiver . . . what do you think? :D

Not sure when I'll get a site up, but I did register pceiver.com.

Up next is a full 5.1 version for the home theater that includes the amp for a sub.
                I think the world is ready, Pete. Will you plan selling plans, kits, assembled units or all three?

Comment

I don't know what your system is for, but you might consider the Dayton or Madisound 2.1 plate amp, and some better quality satellite speakers that will dig a bit deeper and allow a lower xover point.

I built two systems for bedroom and computer use with the Dayton amp and I am happy with them.

Otherwise, find an old HT receiver on ebay, there are dozens cheap as people upgrade to HDMI units. A 150 HZ xover might be hard to find. Again, better satellites for lower xover.

Comment

Here is another option. You'll likely need to get a few just in case as the specified frequencies won't be exact depending on the input and output impedances of your preamp and amp.

http://store.hlabs.com/pk4/store.pl?view_product=10
                    The first one through the wall always gets the bloodiest...

Comment

Originally posted by curt_c View Post
                      Build your own passive line level HP filter to place in front of the full ranger amp.
                      http://www.t-linespeakers.org/tech/f...ssiveHLxo.html

I'd suggest trying the 2nd order HP network. All you really need to know is the input impedance of the amplifier...

C
                      I've done that before Curt, presumably an F-Mod is the same thing (to the person who posted about F-Mods)

Tho I tried to use it as the low pass for my sub. I couldn't get the slope steep enough to make it non-locatable without attenuating the signal too far. However I suppose as a highpass for mains it might not be as bad. If he wants to go this route I got all the parts for less than $20 at Radioshack.

Comment

our gracious forum hosts also sell fmods. and a couple bucks cheaper too. fmods definitely are just pllxos, as i've seen documentation specifying that the advertised frequency is dependent on a certain amp input impedance. the same fmod documentation tells how the frequency adjusts for different impedances.

if you want to build your own, and RS doesn't have what you need, places like mouser and digikey are good resources.

EDIT: found the aforementioned documentation

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                          I think the world is ready, Pete. Will you plan selling plans, kits, assembled units or all three?
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...91#post1675591
                          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Well, I can certainly see the logistical problems of offering plans. This could very well be a nice side business, Pete.

Comment

Originally posted by evilskillit View Post
                              I've done that before Curt, presumably an F-Mod is the same thing (to the person who posted about F-Mods)

Tho I tried to use it as the low pass for my sub. I couldn't get the slope steep enough to make it non-locatable without attenuating the signal too far. However I suppose as a highpass for mains it might not be as bad. If he wants to go this route I got all the parts for less than $20 at Radioshack.
                              Insertion loss is definitely an issue with passive LP filters. HP on the other hand, has almost 0 loss, so it is a more atttractive option. I use regular crossover poly caps and 1/2 watt resistors for the HP. Obviously the Fmods use different values and tiny caps which makes me think the SQ will be better with the home built versions...

C
                              Curt's Speaker Design Works

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
                              - Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                              X