Unattractive Neo3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unattractive Neo3

I'm building some HT speakers with the BG Neo3 tweeter and have run into a problem with the way I intend to mount them. I didn't like the BG or Miniscus face plates because they are so big that I didn't find the aesthetics very pleasing doing an MTM with smallish woofers. I decided to buy the Miniscus face plates and counter sink them into the face of the cabinet and veneer over them. That came out pretty well but now I find I have two problems. The face of the tweeter is about .020 behind the face of the faceplate and the gap around the tweeter looks unsightly to me.

The Neo3 is held together with pop rivets and the first question is how much trouble will I get into masking off the front of the tweeter and trying to file down the pop rivets so I can get the tweeter flush with the front of the speaker? As near as I can tell there's not much of a magnetic field anywhere but right in front of the openings in the face of the tweeter.

Any ideas on how to deal with the gap around the face of the tweeter? It may not look so bad if I can bring the tweeter forward but it would be nice if it wasn't there.

Why BG can't make a little trim piece the size of the tweeter so you can just counter sink this into the face of a speaker is beyond me.

Ron
    Attached Files
    C-Note Iron Driver Build
    The Lydias
    The Cherry π's
    The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
    My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Re: Unattractive Neo3

Some options:

Black or wood color silicone rubber
    Wax wood filler
    A very thin felt strip or cord
    Little strips of veneer cut with a very sharp blade
    Thin black leather trim gasket
    "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Do the Meniscus face plates have matching counter sink holes for the protruding rivets on the back of the plates ??

If not, make your own matching counter sink holes for the protruding rivets on the back of the plates and the Neo3 should then come forward a bit.

Just a thought......

Comment

Good ideas. I can't easily counter sink the faceplate with it in the cabinet but I do have a right angle attachment for a Dremel tool that may let me grind some divots in the back side.

Thanks,
        Ron
        C-Note Iron Driver Build
        The Lydias
        The Cherry π's
        My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Comment

I've rear mounted them on 1/4" baltic before. Just chamfer the opening. Then attach the 1/4" to the box front. Might not work for your boxes though.
          Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
          "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
          Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

It it were me, I would have used the (large) round BG faceplates and let my router take out a radius from the top and bottom so that the woofer C-T-C spacing could be reduced as much as possible.

Comment

Ron

I can't make any claims as to the acoustic properties of your mounting method, but as far as aesthetics go, your installation is about the cleanest I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg01 View Post
                Ron

I can't make any claims as to the acoustic properties of your mounting method, but as far as aesthetics go, your installation is about the cleanest I have seen.
                Thanks.

I need to finish the finishing before I try to deal with the problems but I'll post some pictures when I'm done. Company coming this week and a wedding I have to prepare for that will keep me from doing much for a couple of weeks but I plan to bring these to DIY Iowa if I can.

Ron
                C-Note Iron Driver Build
                The Lydias
                The Cherry π's
                My Projects Page

Comment

I ended up putting a Dremel grinding wheel in my drill press to grind down the heads of the rivets so I could mount the tweeter just proud of the front baffle. While I was trying to see how flush the tweeter was with a transfer punch I discovered that the magnetic field made a nice clamp to hold the Neo in place while the glue dried. I blackened the edge of the veneer with a felt tip marker before I installed the tweeter and the seam pretty much disappeared. I'm happy and I think I'll call them the Krystal's. Now all I have to do is design the crossover.

It's 4 inches from the edge of the Neo to the center of the woofer. I'm thinking of crossing them 24 db/oct LR at 2K. Could I cross them higher if I never plan on laying them on their side for HT use?

Ron
                  Attached Files
                  C-Note Iron Driver Build
                  The Lydias
                  The Cherry π's
                  My Projects Page

Comment

Good lord that is fine cabinet work
                    I am trolling you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron_E View Post
                      It's 4 inches from the edge of the Neo to the center of the woofer. I'm thinking of crossing them 24 db/oct LR at 2K. Could I cross them higher if I never plan on laying them on their side for HT use?
                      Will both woofers be used all the way up to 2Khz? If so, you want to consider the C-T-C distance of woofer to woofer.

If you instead roll off one of the woofers sooner, then the wide spacing would be less of an issue...

The cabinets do look very nice, which makes me hesitate to recommend spacing the drivers close together. A little late for that now... Luckily, I've seen various folks commenting that the Neo3 sounds good crossed at, and below, 2Khz.
                      "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Originally posted by critofur View Post
                        Will both woofers be used all the way up to 2Khz? If so, you want to consider the C-T-C distance of woofer to woofer.

If you instead roll off one of the woofers sooner, then the wide spacing would be less of an issue...

The cabinets do look very nice, which makes me hesitate to recommend spacing the drivers close together. A little late for that now... Luckily, I've seen various folks commenting that the Neo3 sounds good crossed at, and below, 2Khz.
                        I plan to use both woofers together. I would have liked to put them closer together but I used that big metal faceplate. I'll make some measurements and see what happens.

Ron
                        C-Note Iron Driver Build
                        The Lydias
                        The Cherry π's
                        My Projects Page

Comment

Originally posted by MSaturn View Post
                          Good lord that is fine cabinet work
                          Thanks for the kind words. They wouldn't look nearly so good except for the excellent tips I find on this forum.

Ron
                          C-Note Iron Driver Build
                          The Lydias
                          The Cherry π's
                          My Projects Page

Comment

I am acually working on some speaks with those tweets. I routed out a hole in the box for the tweet, and I am going to use some laminate probably with some veneer for a cover plate. If you are router skilled, you can figure the exact depth you need to put on a faceplate over the whole thing. I am acually going to route in the faceplate also. When I get home from work I can shoot a pic- I was able to do very close c-c spacing.

Cliff

Comment

Originally posted by Ron_E View Post
                              I'm building some HT speakers with the BG Neo3 tweeter and have run into a problem with the way I intend to mount them. I didn't like the BG or Miniscus face plates because they are so big that I didn't find the aesthetics very pleasing doing an MTM with smallish woofers. I decided to buy the Miniscus face plates and counter sink them into the face of the cabinet and veneer over them. That came out pretty well but now I find I have two problems. The face of the tweeter is about .020 behind the face of the faceplate and the gap around the tweeter looks unsightly to me.

The Neo3 is held together with pop rivets and the first question is how much trouble will I get into masking off the front of the tweeter and trying to file down the pop rivets so I can get the tweeter flush with the front of the speaker? As near as I can tell there's not much of a magnetic field anywhere but right in front of the openings in the face of the tweeter.

Any ideas on how to deal with the gap around the face of the tweeter? It may not look so bad if I can bring the tweeter forward but it would be nice if it wasn't there.

Why BG can't make a little trim piece the size of the tweeter so you can just counter sink this into the face of a speaker is beyond me.

Ron
                              Here is a really ugly Neo3.

Becasue I am not good at working with router, I cut a square hole into the front of the baffle, seal the back of the hole with a piece of plywood and fasten Neo3 to the plywood with a rubber band. I put some foam strips(aka Acoustic blanket) around the Neo3. In theory I could flush mount Neo3 if I want to
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X