Please recommend a HT receiver for $350 or less

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please recommend a HT receiver for $350 or less

I've had Yamahas for years, and they've been great, but the menu system for changing settings on every Yamaha receiver I've ever had leaves a lot to be desired...

Needs to be at least 5.1, don't need 7.1, definitely need HDMI inputs, want Dolby TrueHD capabilities. Not interested in theatre effects, they always sounded odd to me, I always just left it on "Standard 5.1" on my Yammy.

Stick with Yammy? Onkyo? Denon? Sony?

Thanks

Re: Please recommend a HT receiver for $350 or less

If you're ok with a refurb you can get an Onkyo 608 in that budget. Still comes with factory 1 year warranty.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Comment

i second that lunch. its a 7.1 but you can use the others for biampin the mains.
      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

I didn't "need" 7.1 either, but then I found an Onkyo HTIB receiver that had it, at a price that I couldn't pass up...

Now I won't go back. The thing I'd want in the future would be that .2, stereo subs, yum!

I really like the Onkyo that I've got, but it was a serious step up in quality from what I had, so YMMV. If you've had (and loved) Yammies, then they might be the ones to check out. The menus might be wonky, but you're used to them, and I've never heard a bad word about their sound. John Stockman is a big Yammie fan, IIRC, and his is an opinion that I trust pretty implicitly, based on his experience. My only problem is I can't afford most of what he recommends...:D

Good Luck!

Mark
        You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Hey Lunch.....Given you're a DIY speaker guy which sometimes requires some addl amps and other gear....let me STRONGLY suggest you look for an AVR with Pre-Outs for connecting addl amplifiers if needed. There's a few specials out there in your price range that include this....a great AVR at a great price. You're already familiar with Yammy quality so.....

http://www.electronics-expo.com/make...XV765BL/1.html

It's a few bucks more than you spec'd but it does A LOT more than comparably priced units. The iPod docks used with these are really nice as well with the ability to display your catalogue, album artwork, etc.....which given the multi room feature, a small flatscreen monitor and a nice 2.0 music setup..........yeah babiee!

Comment

If you are into shopping for bargains, keep an eye on the Onkyo TX-SR707. I just bought one for under $450 (brand new from an authorized dealer, not refurb, demo or blem). I know this is above your price range, but Onkyo is coming out with a newer model, and this one will be discontinued soon, so better prices may come soon. This model was $600 just a few weeks ago. I would think finding just a 5.1 receiver might be tough, as most are 7.1 these days (the TX-SR707 is 7.2).

The TX-SR707 has 4 ohm capability and pre-outs. It's the least expensive Onkyo to have these 2 features...nice features to have for future expansion. It has the HDMI and Dolby TrueHD you want.

Nice to see you are back on the forum. I hope everything is going well.
            Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

Check the Harman Kardon Ebay Store Every Refurb comes with full factory warranty. Got my AVR-154 for $160. Take HK wattage rating and double it to compare to other brands. Quite a bit of turnover on products.
              Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
              "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
              Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

As John said, if you can bump the budget a little the 707 has some nice additional features and pre-outs. The refurb is $399.

LouC is correct about the HK's on EBay also. I picked up an AVR-254 for $165 and it has pre-outs also, but no HD decoding. I can do the decoding with the Blueray so not a big deal. One thing about the HKs, they can be a little buggy. I read and knew all of the potential problems before buying and since it's not a main system wasn't a big deal for me.

Comment

Originally posted by jettore View Post
                  As John said, if you can bump the budget a little the 707 has some nice additional features and pre-outs. The refurb is $399.

LouC is correct about the HK's on EBay also. I picked up an AVR-254 for $165 and it has pre-outs also, but no HD decoding. I can do the decoding with the Blueray so not a big deal. One thing about the HKs, they can be a little buggy. I read and knew all of the potential problems before buying and since it's not a main system wasn't a big deal for me.
                  slight correction - the H/K 254 does decode bitstreamed trueHD and DTS-HD MA. however, depending on your setup and uses, "a little buggy" can be quite an understatement, in the context of the 254. like you said you did, knowing all the potential problems and making sure they won't affect you is the key.

Comment

Originally posted by LouC View Post
                    Check the Harman Kardon Ebay Store Every Refurb comes with full factory warranty. Got my AVR-154 for $160. Take HK wattage rating and double it to compare to other brands. Quite a bit of turnover on products.
                    I'd second Lou's HK recomendation I've bought 3 recievers (2 for me and 1 for my brother) from them and been happy with all of them at reasonable prices.

Take it easy
                    Jay
                    "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
                    Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
                    Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
                    Levitation TM
                    - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

Newegg has the YAMAHA RX-V765 7.2-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver $350 after using coupon code RECEIVER713A at check out. Seems to be a good value has preouts and all of the new formats.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

That refurbed Onkyo looks pretty nice...

Comment

Never thought I'd say this, but I really miss "effects loops."

I got a Yamaha 7.1 channel job for my A/V setup and thought it'd be novel to be able to use an active crossover with it .. but alas, impossible. Unless it had an effects loop.
                          I am trolling you.

Comment

I have allways liked the Yammi's! I have to agree making menu changes is a pain in the @#$*&!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
                              I've had Yamahas for years, and they've been great, but the menu system for changing settings on every Yamaha receiver I've ever had leaves a lot to be desired...

Needs to be at least 5.1, don't need 7.1, definitely need HDMI inputs, want Dolby TrueHD capabilities. Not interested in theatre effects, they always sounded odd to me, I always just left it on "Standard 5.1" on my Yammy.

Stick with Yammy? Onkyo? Denon? Sony?

Thanks

I'm with you, always preferred the no-effects setting with my Yamaha HTR, but never used it much anyway. Onkyo, very solid, reliable unit. On par with the others mentioned. Shoponkyo.com has some good prices. Lou's link is the one for HK. Currently I have an HTR-5240 Yamaha that sees only 2-channel duty. It looks like the Yamaha RX models are a step up in quality. The Yamaha menus: seem to be more difficult than needs to be. With one of the new Onkyos you get the calibration system...which is the way to go for setting up all the speakers. I think the Yammie has a proprietary system, but the Onkyo has Audyssey.

http://www.shoponkyo.com/detail.cfm?..._id=1&detail=2

Well, 7.1, but great connectivity and the stuff you want. I'd have a hard time deciding between the HK and the Onkyo. HK probably has the better amp section. They're known for their honest, solid specs.

John A.
                              "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                              Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                              Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                              Pioneer TX-9500 II
                              Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                              Statement Monitors
                              Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                              Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                              Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Working...
                              X