Dayton UA721CBK Speaker Kit crossover/balance question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton UA721CBK Speaker Kit crossover/balance question

Hello everyone, its my first post so here we go. I just recently purchase this kit

altough i wanted to diy something but hate woodworking and i knew i couldnt do such a great job as a kit. so i got the kit put it all together and it looks fantastic, but it seems that the sound is a lil off to what it really should be or could be. it seems to me that either they are not match well or something, but high frequencies seem to be a lil bright. can anybody help with this at all, modify the crossovers or something. Oh and i am running outlaw 990, ati 1505 amp, and should be getting oppo bdp83 any day now. i used yamaha m85 before and still the same fowardness with high frequences. please somebody help.
    Thank You

Re: Dayton UA721CBK Speaker Kit crossover/balance question

I doubt Dr. D'A. would design a bright sounding speaker. The published frequency response is pretty flat. More likely that something is not wired correctly in the crossover. Some things to check:
    • Do the right and left speakers have the same level of brightness when you apply the same signal?
    • The high-pass network has a 1.5 ohm resistor in series. Do you have the correct values there and are they wired correctly?

Comment

If your old speakers had the same forwardness you may want to check the settings on your pre amp. Does the pre have a crossover setting that is cutting bass?
      DP

Comment

I have heard that kit's sound described as "forward" and "analytical." If Jay were here, he could probably sim it for you and suggest some changes. I have never looked at the actual XO, but it might not be hard to tweak the sound somehow.
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

thank You you for your response, i checked and both speakers sound exactly the same, i played around without a preamp at all just straight from a laptop and its still the same. i didint check any internal networks tonight but i will this week if i have to. now i finally figured out how to tame down the treble in my outlaw 990, and now it definitly sounds much smoother and i can see the potential of these speakers, i got really excited that they sound that much better when i put down the treble. although this is only a temporary fix, i am happy till i find how i can alter the crossover network to perfect this speakers. also i have the crossover diagram that i can scan and post here if anybody can look at it and see something that could be done. once again i want to thank everybody in advance for giving me some help.

Comment

here is the crossover design, if anybody could just take a look at it and see if theres anything abvious that could be or should be changed, i would greatly appreciate.
            Attached Files

Comment

i guess no help, anybody would be interested to model the drivers for a crossover design and maybe making the crossovers for a fee let me know

Comment

The woofers are brand new, maybe they need a bit of a break in period to loosen up a bit. I've had a few woofers that sounded pretty weak until they were broken in, they beefed up quite a bit after a few hours. You may try playing some bass heavy music through them at a reasonable level (you don't need to rattle the windows or anything like that) for a few hours, maybe leave them on while you're at work or something like that. Then take a listen, see if the overall balance of lows/highs is better.
                My modest builds:
                Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
                Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
                Armadillo Center Channel
                Au-Rock-O Sub
                Tarkus
                Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Well, how far would you want to go in modding it? I guess I should also ask what "sounds" seem pronounced? Better yet, if you have a graphic EQ plugin for winamp or itunes or whatever you play music through, can you identify which region seems out of balance?

If so, I think I can suggest changing a few values of components to get a sound you like more. But until then, to say the sound is "bright" is hard to pin down, and we could be tweaking stuff all day and not be getting at the problem.
                  Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                  Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                    Well, how far would you want to go in modding it? I guess I should also ask what "sounds" seem pronounced? Better yet, if you have a graphic EQ plugin for winamp or itunes or whatever you play music through, can you identify which region seems out of balance?

If so, I think I can suggest changing a few values of components to get a sound you like more. But until then, to say the sound is "bright" is hard to pin down, and we could be tweaking stuff all day and not be getting at the problem.
                    Aren't those sealed? From the driver parms and box size, I figure they are. You're not just missing bottom end bass are you? IIRC, when I modelled that XO once, it SEEMED like the woofers had a rather Hi-Q rolloff (i.e. a bit of a rise, maybe around 1k to maybe 2k?) just before handing off to the tweeter. I've heard systems before with a pronounced mid that most (possibly less experienced listeners) would attribute to forward tweeters. If that's the case, you'd have to probably change out a coil or two to get a better damped shoulder there.

Chris

Comment

That's odd; mine never seemed "bright", but I've never turned off audyssey either. On the contrary, I've noticed that on mine, I need to pour the coals to them to brighten them up. My ears are kind of broke too though..

meh :rolleyes:
                      ~Mark

Stuff I've builded http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...lies/smile.png

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                        Aren't those sealed? From the driver parms and box size, I figure they are. You're not just missing bottom end bass are you? IIRC, when I modelled that XO once, it SEEMED like the woofers had a rather Hi-Q rolloff (i.e. a bit of a rise, maybe around 1k to maybe 2k?) just before handing off to the tweeter. I've heard systems before with a pronounced mid that most (possibly less experienced listeners) would attribute to forward tweeters. If that's the case, you'd have to probably change out a coil or two to get a better damped shoulder there.

Chris
                        hey i think you might be on something, i figured it may not be really a tweeter brightness, because the voices thats what really is too pronounced(or maybe 2k crossover is a lil too low for the tweeter, i am not sure really, it looks like those ushers could easily handle higher crossover point to make it easier for the tweeter). When i put treble on my outlaw 990 down all the way it is better, but i dont think its the right solution, and still feels that the voices should be a smoother.

Comment

Originally posted by WWWJD View Post
                          That's odd; mine never seemed "bright", but I've never turned off audyssey either. On the contrary, I've noticed that on mine, I need to pour the coals to them to brighten them up. My ears are kind of broke too though..

meh :rolleyes:
                          hey are you talking about audyssey EQ? what preamp and amps are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by exxtraa View Post
                            hey are you talking about audyssey EQ? what preamp and amps are you running?
                            Onkyo TXSR606
                            ~Mark

Stuff I've builded http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...lies/smile.png

Comment

do you guys think that Behringer DCX2496 could help me out in this case??

Comment

Working...
                              X