X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: High End and the consumer

this is funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCBe7-6rw4M
    Some of my audio projects:http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Re: OT: High End and the consumer

Ha! I like it.

I actually just bought this and really like it:

http://www.ihomeaudio.com/ip1-studio-series

I'm going to try and make something exactly like it when I get back to Oklahoma in August.

Comment

I sold mid and hi-fi in the late 70's. I also sold bose products for a little while.

That you tube video was absolutely on target. That is your typical bose buyer. "I've heard bose is the best, so that's what I want - don't confuse me with the facts".

Comment

Just a little bit sexist, but otherwise, right on target!

Loved it!

At least once a month, after I've installed a customer's HDTV and cable, and after I've extolled the virtues of having a good surround system, I hear "You're right! That's why I've got a Bose system being installed!" :eek:

Marketing is all, apparently....

One wonders, why haven't Bose and Monster gotten together to rule the whole (uneducated) audio world?:rolleyes:

Mark
        You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
          One wonders, why haven't Bose and Monster gotten together to rule the whole (uneducated) audio world?:rolleyes:

Mark
          Aaagggghhh. Don't even suggest it, it might come true!

Comment

I hate to play devil's advocate, but I don't think there's anything wrong with what she wants. She's basically just in the wrong store.
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

i don't necessarily think there's a problem with what she wants, from a requirements standpoint (although i agree that shes definitely in the wrong store for it). i do, however, think theres a problem with how she's chosen the specific product she's looking for - believing marketing crap and people completely unqualified to give advice on a subject (eg. oprah on audio), and doing nothing to actually educate herself as a consumer. unfortunately, that describes 95% of consumers today.

my "on the other side of things" problem is with the typical sales person response of suggesting a solution that will cost "only a couple grand" right after she's specifically told him her budget is $500. what is it that sales people don't understand about budgets? i mean, i understand it's their job to try and milk you for all that they can, but am i the only one who sees it as kind of disrespectful and an insult to a customers intelligence when a customer gives a reasonable amount that they want to spend for something and the sales person completely ignores it and suggests something costing several times more? asking someone to bump their limit by 5 or 10 percent is one thing, asking them to double or triple their budget is another. on the rare occation that i deal with a sales person and they do that kind of crap, i just want to scream "MAYBE YOU DIDN'T JUST HEAR ME..."

Comment

That was awesome. As soon as my Statement Monitors are up and all my system is up and running I'm going to show everybody. That's all you can do, share and explain. That tard masses will still be the tard masses. Nothing you can do. There is something called a bell curve. It exists everywhere, even in audio. We get to be at the top. Just enjoy that much.

Comment

Hysterical and right on point.
                  "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

The problem with the piece is Cambridge soundworks make a perfect item for well under $299.00, this kills the bose

http://store.cambridgesoundworks.com...B0036UO7MS.htm

he merely had to offer this item. if she said no to this it would have been funny. Also i would have preferred the customer to be a white guy in his 50's that thinks he is smarter then the clerk (some like me).

Comment

Originally posted by absolootbs View Post
                      i do, however, think theres a problem with how she's chosen the specific product she's looking for - believing marketing crap and people completely unqualified to give advice on a subject (eg. oprah on audio), and doing nothing to actually educate herself as a consumer. unfortunately, that describes 95% of consumers today.
                      Maybe I'm just in the 5 percent that doesn't fall for the hollow marketing, but I've felt like I'm a much more informed consumer in the last 10 years or so since the widespread acceptance of the internet. It's easier than ever to get an opinion from someone who isn't a salesman. In the early 90's there was really no way to know how products rate other than to trust consumer reports, Oprah, friends and salesmen. I'd have said back then 95% did made purchasing decisions based on marketing rather than product performance, given the convenience and quality of third party product reviews available today the average customer is better prepared before making a significant purchase. The key word there is significant, for some people $500 isn't that big a deal, for others $500 represents months of savings. I believe the person who saves harder to make a purchase is also more prepared to make that purchase.

I've always thought owning something with the Bose name says something about your personality. I expect the guy who has a Barbie doll blond for a wife to have a Bose sound system. I worked with an interesting character who was a self proclaimed music snob, he bragged that he'd listened to music through thousand dollar reference monitors in recording studios played back exactly as it had been recorded. According to him Bose sound systems sounded good for their budget, he liked Sony as well. At that point I took any of his advice with a grain of salt.

Comment

Funny stuff. I think this may be a parody with an audio twist on the I want an Iphone. Salty language but funny as wellhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

Comment

... As soon as my Statement Monitors are up and all my system is up and running I'm going to show everybody..
                          Well of course THOSE will sound good...
                          they have a waveguide, don't they? LOL
                          BEER: Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

I've measured many things I cannot hear; and heard things I cannot measure...

Comment

I built my TriTrix with the TL cabinet instead of ported because I wanted a wave guide.

Comment

That link is hilarious. I don't consider it sexist: women are increasing rapidly as head of household wage earners and they're ready to drop dough just like that lady on 'high-end' gear.

But I can't bash or judge people for buying Bose. I mean look how many t.v shows and you tube vids and books/magazines there are on almost everything you spend money on: home-related, car-related, job-related, child-related, food-related, health. Nowadays everybody is so informed in some degree or another with all this sauration.

With the exception of audio and video. I'm not aware of an 'A/V' channel or cable programs or youtube guides (well there are some, like maybe C-Net, etc. but theire as likely to rec Bose as anybody else) that are accessible or in great numbers for the average consumer.

That isn't Ipod-related.

Audio/video is still this nebulous area where people are just completely uninformed. And what is the only commercial audio company with commercials? Bose.

I wonder why there aren't any A/V-centric channels or shows. You'd think a bunch of companies could get together and at least put together something.

Comment

Working...
                              X