Does precison port change tuning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does precison port change tuning?

I'm working on building the Copper project and have a quick question about the ports before I place my parts order. The design is using the PE standard 2" ID port at 5" long. Since the port is on the front baffle I want to use a 2" precision port recessed. Will I need to adjust the length due to the flares on the ends?

Thanks

Re: Does precison port change tuning?

I want to say no but I am not the best guy for info on ports. someone will chime in.

Comment

i believe yes. iirc, for each flare you figure 1/2 of whatever the flare radius is gets added to the length of the straight section, to calculate the effective length. so say you have a port where the total length is 6" and each end has a 1" radius flare. that means that your straight length is 4" and you add 1" ((1" radius / 2) * 2 flares) for an effective length of 5". in your case, since you're starting with a required effective length, you'd want to use that, along with the radii, to calculate straight and/or total length.

Comment

Precision's Calculator
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by jettore View Post
          I'm working on building the Copper project and have a quick question about the ports before I place my parts order. The design is using the PE standard 2" ID port at 5" long. Since the port is on the front baffle I want to use a 2" precision port recessed. Will I need to adjust the length due to the flares on the ends?

Thanks
          In short no it won't change tuning but you need to use their port calculator to calculate for the right length you need. The send instructions on how to properly cut them.

Unlike a straight port half of the flared area is not counted in the port length. But that is explained in their instructions.
          Dave

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
          If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran

Comment

...and the design is so elegant, the designer so handsome....uh, wait a sec....never mind. :p

Comment

Working...
            X