First Look -- NaO Note

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Look -- NaO Note

For those interested. I expect to have it finished by mid September.

The picture shows the Note panel mounted on the NaO II U-frame woofers for evaluation. When the design is finished the Note woofer system will be buildable in one of three formats: Ported box, dual woofer U-frame, or dual woofer N-frame dipole.

John k.... Music and Design NaO dsp Dipole Loudspeakers.

Re: First Look -- NaO Note

Originally posted by johnk... View Post
    For those interested. I expect to have it finished by mid September..........
    Hi John,

Looks interesting - it's a bit narrower then I thought from the initial hints.

Is an "N" frame similar to a "W" frame?

Will there be an article or two forthcoming?

Look forward to learning more!

Regards,

Rob

Comment

Absolut Dipole

Very interesting. Is the N-frame similar to the GR-Research woofer kit, but with 10's? So it's partially vibration cancelling.

At one point I was thinking about a 4-way tower using the SS 22W woofer where you've got the two 7's. With the fiberglass cone it would match visually with the 10f. But it may not be the equal of these 7's.

Comment

Originally posted by weinstro View Post
        Hi John,

Looks interesting - it's a bit narrower then I thought from the initial hints.

Is an "N" frame similar to a "W" frame?

Will there be an article or two forthcoming?

Look forward to learning more!

Regards,

Rob
        An N frame is like an H frame with the divider angled so that the width can be reduced. Minimum width of an H with XXLS woofers would be about 12". I wanted 11" to match the max baffle width.

I'll be puting up more info about the system as it nears completion.

Comment

That looks really nice. If you could post close-up front and back shots of the baffle around the Neo3, I would be most grateful I'm sketching out ideas for putting a baffle around the Neo3 in my speakers, I don't really like how it looks right now.

XO points?

Absolut Dipole
          LOL

Comment

For those interested. I expect to have it finished by mid September.
            Looking forward to hearing it at DIY NE this year.

dlr
            WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

An N frame is like an H frame with the divider angled so that the width can be reduced. Minimum width of an H with XXLS woofers would be about 12". I wanted 11" to match the max baffle width.

I'll be puting up more info about the system as it nears completion.
              It would also seem to help control any cavity resonance.

Comment

Nice looking John! Can you share any more, like the drivers, crossover points and is the tweeter dipole also? Will it be a passive/active hybrid crossover this time around?
                Dan N.

Comment

Originally posted by dlneubec View Post
                  Nice looking John! Can you share any more, like the drivers, crossover points and is the tweeter dipole also? Will it be a passive/active hybrid crossover this time around?
                  XXLS10/ER18/SS10F/Neo3 all dipole. Crossed at 120/1khz/6khz. Active and passive.
                  "It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

A few questions,

1. Why are you using twin mid-woofer instead of one?
                    2. The N-frame polar response, will it be very different from that from U-frame?

Your response please.

Comment

Hi John,

Looking forward to learning more as you develop this speaker.

Comment

I'd like to follow in Jonasz' footsteps and field a question for John :D. If I get the N-baffle concept the baffle rotates somewhat to the side so that the overall width can drop by an inch. With two drivers the upper and lower can face away from each other, which is partially vibration cancelling. That is, less front-to-back vibration. If it operates only at low frequencies, say below 120 Hz, then there's probably no audible difference compared to an H with similar outside dimensions.

As for the dual mid-woofers, two are better than one, for sensitivity and output. The center-to-center is no problem here. But a single 8" might be fine too in this range.

Comment

I'll try to answer the questions I remember. I will be posting more pictures over time at my sight. Drivers are as Jonas mentioned. The crossover point are roughly 120, 1k, and 6k. The tweeter is symmetric, front/rear. The N frame below 120 will behave exactly as an H. It just allows me to make it narrower. I use two 18 cm instead of one 22 cm because they allow the narrower baffle and allow the polar response to be closer to pure dipole to a higher frequency than a single 22. The lower mid-woofer only comes in to fill in the upper bass. The panel is therefore sort of a 3.5 way affair. The N frame will allow the system to be build as a full range dipole. The U-frame format approximates a cardioid and will garner a few dB greater max SPL than the N. The ported option will allow use of a single woofer. The will be able to chose how you build it. The trade off should be obvious.

It is a hybrid design with active panel/woofer crossover and active eq. The panel is fully passive. There is only one resistor in the passive crossover and that is for a Zobel on the lower mid-woofer.

Still a lot of work to do on the woofers.

It will be at DIY NE this year.

Thanks for the feed back.

Comment

Definately looks different , I like different. I love the sound of dipoles myself.
                            Hope you get everything worked out . For now looks great.
                            Thanks ,
                            JB

Comment

This old Infinity must have been before it's time when it comes to baffle layout. I've never heard them myself but only heard good about them. I'm personally not so impressed by their newer efforts but it would be fun to listen to these old dipoles!

"It is only Scrooge McDuck and others with a personality disorder who have money as their goal"

Comment

Working...
                              X