Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP - Connected a 2nd amp to tape out but not working right...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP - Connected a 2nd amp to tape out but not working right...

I have an Onkyo TX-SR806 receiver. I have a 5.1 speaker setup in my family room and 2 outdoor speakers in my backyard. The outdoor speakers have their own wall volume control and they are connected to the Zone 2 feature on the receiver. This all works fine.

Now for the problem: I also have 2 in-ceiling speakers in my kitchen which also have their own wall volume control. My kitchen and family room are open to each other so I just want to be able to play the same source through them. Onkyo told me to purchase a 2 channel amp and connect it to the tape out. This way the kitchen speakers will play whatever is on in the family room and since they have their own wall volume control there will be no issues. So I purchased a Audiosource AMP100 and connected it to the tape out. When the receiver is in tuner mode it will play the radio through the kitchen speakers, however, it will not play dvd,cd,or tv through the kitchen speakers. What do I need to do?

Please help... Thanks!

Re: HELP - Connected a 2nd amp to tape out but not working right...

Originally posted by tomk View Post
    I have an Onkyo TX-SR806 receiver. I have a 5.1 speaker setup in my family room and 2 outdoor speakers in my backyard. The outdoor speakers have their own wall volume control and they are connected to the Zone 2 feature on the receiver. This all works fine.

Now for the problem: I also have 2 in-ceiling speakers in my kitchen which also have their own wall volume control. My kitchen and family room are open to each other so I just want to be able to play the same source through them. Onkyo told me to purchase a 2 channel amp and connect it to the tape out. This way the kitchen speakers will play whatever is on in the family room and since they have their own wall volume control there will be no issues. So I purchased a Audiosource AMP100 and connected it to the tape out. When the receiver is in tuner mode it will play the radio through the kitchen speakers, however, it will not play dvd,cd,or tv through the kitchen speakers. What do I need to do?

Please help... Thanks!
    Onkyo helped you once, try them again.

You should be getting signal to the tape out from every source.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Some receivers only live-up the tape-out when in stereo mode. Try using the L/R pre-outs to power your new Amp.
      Ed

Comment

There is a pre-out for front speakers, but I assume that if I connect my amp to that then the real front speakers will stop being powered by the receiver. Is that what you are suggesting though?

Comment

Yes, try them. It should not effect your Amped output. Also test to see if you tape-out works in stereo mode.
          Ed

Comment

yea, i don't know why they would have suggested the tape out over just using the front l/r pre-outs. i've had several different receivers with preouts and i've never seen one cut the amped outs when preouts are used.

another thing to check re: the tape outputs is how your sources are hooked up (analog vs. digital). a lot of times the zone 2/3 outputs, tape outputs, etc. will only work with sources hooked up to analog inputs. if your dvd, cd, and tv are all hooked up using digital connections, that could be your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by absolootbs View Post
              yea, i don't know why they would have suggested the tape out over just using the front l/r pre-outs. i've had several different receivers with preouts and i've never seen one cut the amped outs when preouts are used.

another thing to check re: the tape outputs is how your sources are hooked up (analog vs. digital). a lot of times the zone 2/3 outputs, tape outputs, etc. will only work with sources hooked up to analog inputs. if your dvd, cd, and tv are all hooked up using digital connections, that could be your problem.
              Pre outs should be affected by volume, tone, and balance controls. Tape out shouldn't be.

Also, CD IS a stereo source. Don't see why the tape outs wouldn't work.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Pre outs should be affected by volume, tone, and balance controls. Tape out shouldn't be.

Also, CD IS a stereo source. Don't see why the tape outs wouldn't work.
                i thought about the fixed vs. variable issue just after i posted, but i assumed tape outs were variable just like pre-outs. admittedly i don't have much specific experience with tape anything... outputs or otherwise.

as far as cd being a stereo source, that may be true, but some cd players have a digital output, and regardless of how it's hooked up, being a stereo source doesn't necessarily mean it's being played in the receivers stereo mode, which is what ed was getting at.

Comment

If you don't mind having to adjust for volume on the second amp as you adjust the main amp, then the pre-outs should be the way to go.

Comment

If it's anything like my Rotel RC-1070 control amp, there's a separate switch for which source goes to the Tape Out jacks. That way you can listen to one source while recording a different one. You would then need to switch this control to whatever source you wanted to listen to as if you were going to record it.

John

Comment

Onkyo states that the tape out is analog only. So the problem is that my tv and dvd are connected via hdmi cables. The rep told me to keep the hdmi connected but to also connect the tv and dvd via rca cables, which I did and it still does not work.

Now I have purchased a separate 2 channel amp and rca cables to only be able to play my tuner.

I am going to have to play around some more.

When I connected the amp to the receiver front speaker pre out I got no sound at all.

Comment

Originally posted by tomk View Post
                        Onkyo states that the tape out is analog only. So the problem is that my tv and dvd are connected via hdmi cables. The rep told me to keep the hdmi connected but to also connect the tv and dvd via rca cables, which I did and it still does not work.

Now I have purchased a separate 2 channel amp and rca cables to only be able to play my tuner.

I am going to have to play around some more.

When I connected the amp to the receiver front speaker pre out I got no sound at all.
                        You could always build a resistive divider, using a 100 Ohm and 10 Ohm resistor, connected to the main left and right speaker outputs and use that to drive the other amp.

Comment

Sometimes you have to 'enable' the preouts in the on-screen menu setup if your receiver has one. Otherwise they will be shutoff in some cases.
                          Later,
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Solved the problem... I kept the 2nd amp connected to tape out. Then, the dvd player and tv which are connected to the receiver with hdmi cables stayed, but I also connected them with rca cables.

Problem solved!

Comment

Working...
                            X