The new Poor Plumber's Pluto, a novel DIY project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new Poor Plumber's Pluto, a novel DIY project

Some of you may be familiar with Siegfried Linkwitz's web site and his Pluto loudspeaker system.
    http://www.linkwitzlab.com/Pluto/specs.htm

The Pluto design has garnered quite a following with many having built or bought his design outright. A user/builder forum also exists.

I've taken a few of his ideas (namely the drivers) and developed a TL design with powered sub to fill in the low end that can be built for about 10% of what his sells for assembled.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/pluto-wa_2.htm

Attached is a picture of the PPP pair. PM me for details, more pics and test data. Some of the test data shows direct comparisons between SL's published Pluto data and the PPP. You'll be surprised how similar the PPP data is to his! Also, his data is copyrighted and so the reason for the PM.

If you're interested in building your own PPP, contact me.

If you're wondering who I am, visit http://www.classicloudspeakerservices.com/
    Attached Files
    Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Re: The new Poor Plumber's Pluto, a novel DIY project

Thanks for sharing this! I will unfortunately never know how they sound because I have to say it, those are some ugly speakers! :D

-David

Comment

That tired old metaphor certainly applies - thinking outside the box.

Comment

Wouldn't it just be easier to build a set of speakers with the originals' general design and a passive crossover?

Comment

Interesting.

Is the x-o passive?

Why did you choose to fire the woofer forward?

How much stuffing did you use?
          "Looks like you may have to design your own speakers. Its not that hard." -DE Focht

Diffraction Happens

Comment

Why would one build a second rate (and bu*t ugly) imitation when one can build the real thing? And if you're not stealing something why the "PM" secrecy?

There's no law against designing a loudspeaker (and crossover) using readily available retail market drivers. Nor is there anything "secret" about active crossover topologies . . . every circuit used in PLUTO is freely available on the linkwitzlab site, as is the complete circuit description for the crossover/amp boards. Or the desired response can be created using a DCX2496 and "store bought" amps. One could probably come close with a "passive" crossover, though with some (significant) loss of quality.

But why ? ? ?
            "It suggests that there is something that is happening in the real system that is not quite captured in the models."

Comment

Originally posted by marscoast View Post
              That tired old metaphor certainly applies - thinking outside the box.
              Yes, that's true and it was done on purpose. The main reason being eliminating all the baffle board hassles - the biggest being BB diffraction issues. In the process one gives up (all speakers are compromises) 2 pi bass response and thus the need for the powered sub.

Comment

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
                Wouldn't it just be easier to build a set of speakers with the originals' general design and a passive crossover?
                Probably not. Which is why SL spent many hours desigining his electronic xover to address the response anomalies of these drivers.
                I have to admit I spent many hours tweaking my passive xovers to get these babies to sing!
                Last edited by carlspeak; 08-03-2010, 07:50 AM. Reason: added info.

Comment

Originally posted by jbruner View Post
                  Interesting.

Is the x-o passive?

Why did you choose to fire the woofer forward?

How much stuffing did you use?
                  1) Yes, but complex to address the driver's inherent response anomalies.
                  2) The bigger questions is, why did SL choose to fire his bass/mid upward at the tweeter? He never answeres that question on his web site.
                  3) Acousta-stuff about 3/4 the length of the pipe

Comment

Originally posted by Deward Hastings View Post
                    Why would one build a second rate (and bu*t ugly) imitation when one can build the real thing? And if you're not stealing something why the "PM" secrecy?

There's no law against designing a loudspeaker (and crossover) using readily available retail market drivers. Nor is there anything "secret" about active crossover topologies . . . every circuit used in PLUTO is freely available on the linkwitzlab site, as is the complete circuit description for the crossover/amp boards. Or the desired response can be created using a DCX2496 and "store bought" amps. One could probably come close with a "passive" crossover, though with some (significant) loss of quality.

But why ? ? ?
                    This is a fun hobby for most of us. I thought I'd try and see how close I could come to his results with a more conventional driver placment configuration coupled with TL.
                    BTW, these things sound great.
                    For those handy with sourcing parts and soldering, here's a quick link to SL's Pluto 'supplies' page http://linkwitzlab.com/Pluto/supplies.htm. Knock yourselves out.

For those interested in an easier-to-build PPP with it's inherent 'conversatioin piece' looks, contact me.....
                    Last edited by carlspeak; 08-03-2010, 08:34 AM.

Comment

I like the idea of something besides a monkey coffin for a speaker. Don't get me wrong, I have, and enjoy, several pairs of monkey coffins. I just think it's great to see innovative ideas and outside-the-lines thinking.
                      Cool stiff!
                      Mike
                      Last edited by mikejennens; 08-10-2010, 08:07 AM.
                      "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                      Bismarck, North Dakota
                      My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers
                      My Garage System TPS3116D2 Amp, DIY PS 95 Speakers, DC 130 Sub

Comment

You have got to bring these to the next New England DIY speaker gathering!!!!!!!
                        Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

Originally posted by john trials View Post
                          You have got to bring these to the next New England DIY speaker gathering!!!!!!!
                          When? Where?

As it happens, my PPP's will be auditioned at a Connecticut Audio Society meeting this weekend. I'm expecting some laughs, but that's okay. That's part of the fun hobby.

Those who live close by are welcome to come and give a listen. PM me for directions to my home.

Comment

Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
                            When? Where?
                            That will in all likelihood be in October, date not yet determined. It will be at my place, always done as an informal gathering, no competitions. I'm sure we'd all like the opportunity to hear this.

I will eventually post queries about the date (always a Saturday) as October approaches. I try to coordinate between my wife's schedule and regulars who attend.

There's info here.

dlr
                            WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
                              1) Y
                              2) The bigger questions is, why did SL choose to fire his bass/mid upward at the tweeter? He never answeres that question on his web site.
                              I thought the whole point of the pluto is to make it semi-omni, thus the upward woofer.

Comment

Working...
                              X