Peerless 6 woofer 3-way under way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Peerless 6 woofer 3-way under way

Just completed assembly of the second cabinet, sans back panel. Gotta do a little edge finishing to get things smooth and then sanded all over.

I need to decide on a sealer coat that can take a bit of light sanding so I can get the surfaces smoooooth. I'd really like to try and get a glossy finish, but not if I can't get the seams well hidden.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Most of the outside work is finally finished. It's hard to keep the sweat from dripping onto the work. Humidity is sky-high, and temps are hovering around 98!!! :eek:

Got the ports mounted, rounded, sanded (overall length, 2.5" for a roughly 50Hz tuning). I'm leaning toward the round plate over binding posts. I suppose I've got two more holes to cut. I'll do that after I glue up the back and trim the edges flush.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Nice bracing!
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Great looking cabinets, Pete!
          Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's, Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Scanspeak Revelator 22W/8857T00's, Eminence NSW6021's.
          MiniDSP 4x10HD. ICE Power amplification and an iNuke 3000.

Sennheiser HD650's powered by TEAC amplification.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
            Nice bracing!
            It was easy enough to add all those pieces, so why not?!!!

Originally posted by Ray Tremblay View Post
            Great looking cabinets, Pete!
            Thanks Ray. I've put a lot of love into getting these looking good, despite daily temps in the upper 90s!!!

Now I just have to decide on a finish, and maybe add some grilles, though I've NEVER built a set of grilles.

Comment

Most of the outside work is finally finished. It's hard to keep the sweat from dripping onto the work. Humidity is sky-high, and temps are hovering around 98!!! :eek:
              It's August in Missouri, nothing more ;).

Nice trick with the quarter round edging the woofer flanges. Looking good!

Comment

Originally posted by turn2 View Post
                It's August in Missouri, nothing more ;).

Nice trick with the quarter round edging the woofer flanges. Looking good!
                Yeah, it was the lazy man's way of getting a perfect recess for those irritating truncated flanges. :o

Comment

Yeah, it was the perfectionists' way of getting recesses easily done for those irritating truncated flanges. :o
                  fixed
                  Brad
                  piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

Comment

Pete,

The woofers are 8 ohms, correct? How are you planning to wire them up? I've been wanting to do a slim tower with 3 woofers (maybe a 3 woofer version of the Thundersticks?) similar to the Klipsch Icon series but wasn't sure how you'd wire things up.

Comment

Originally posted by brianbunge View Post
                      Pete,

The woofers are 8 ohms, correct? How are you planning to wire them up? I've been wanting to do a slim tower with 3 woofers (maybe a 3 woofer version of the Thundersticks?) similar to the Klipsch Icon series but wasn't sure how you'd wire things up.
                      Nice to hear from you Brian!

To answer your question, they're not all playing the same range. Two are in parallel and will be running to 500Hz or so, with the top most doing 500-2500 as a dedicated mid. Impedance drops to around 3 Ohm just above 100Hz, but stays above 4 Ohm over 90% of the rest of the range.

I really need to post the modeled XO.

Comment

Pete,

So 2.5-way? Hummm...

Comment

Originally posted by brianbunge View Post
                          Pete,

So 2.5-way? Hummm...
                          No, a true 3-way.

Comment

It was easy enough to add all those pieces, so why not?!!!
                            How do you get them to stand up straight? (It's a serious question)
                            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                              How do you get them to stand up straight? (It's a serious question)
                              Well, a good square cut goes a long way. I clamped them for a few minutes, but the one's inside the mid chamber wouldn't let me get a clamp on them. I simply pressed them into place once they were damp with Titebond, held it for a minute or so, and let them go. Keeping them upright was not an issue. I did put another brace piece up next to each one as I set it in place to make sure they were square. They set up quite solidly, and I didn't see any gap on either side.

These are probably the most well fitting cabinets I've ever made myself. Having a good fence on the Delta really makes getting things tight, quite simple. Also, these narrow cabinets make it much easier. They're very solid.

Comment

Pete, I REALLY like the look and idea of this speaker, but I'm curious as to why you're not lifting the top octave of that tweeter, as you suggested I do with my design using that unit. A niggling concern, I know, but I wondered, is all.;)

Mark
                                You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Working...
                                X