Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Peerless 6 woofer 3-way under way

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
    Pete, I REALLY like the look and idea of this speaker, but I'm curious as to why you're not lifting the top octave of that tweeter, as you suggested I do with my design using that unit. A niggling concern, I know, but I wondered, is all.;)

Mark
    They're running almost full open as it is, so very little left to lift, but I can try putting a cap around the small padding resistor to see if that would help. Looks like 8uF would be about the limit.

If I were to remove the 1.2 Ohm resistor, something very interesting happens. The impedance reacts with the input filter, causing a "boost" in the 4-10KHz region, with a subsequent plummeting of the impedance in that range. However, the last octave doesn't see any help, as the impedance is rising. I forgot what the impedance was like on this unit. It's a little more difficult to work with than the RS28. It becomes much simpler when crossed around 1500.
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

The boxes are ready for paint, finally. All the holes are cut, and mounting screw holes drilled. I inserted the mounting screws and then removed them, dripped some superglue into the holes to harden the the threads and make the MDF rock hard. Seems to work really well.

XO parts will be ordered today, and I should have them up and playing next week. I've got some voicing to do, and a good reference for comparison.
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Here's a shot of one with the drivers installed.

XO parts will be here next week, and voicing will begin.

Comment

Just prior to taking the picture, did you open a can of beer and spurt a few drops on the lower two drivers? :p
          Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by PWR RYD View Post
            Just prior to taking the picture, did you open a can of beer and spurt a few drops on the lower two drivers? :p
            You'll notice a couple of white spots on the middle woofer's surround. I had tried a little damp scrubbie to remove it. Guess a bit of latex paint from the remodel wound up on the woofer.

I will get it off, or I will paint it to match the surround.

Comment

The boxes are ready for paint, finally. All the holes are cut, and mounting screw holes drilled. I inserted the mounting screws and then removed them, dripped some superglue into the holes to harden the the threads and make the MDF rock hard. Seems to work really well.

XO parts will be ordered today, and I should have them up and playing next week. I've got some voicing to do, and a good reference for comparison.
              This build is chock full of really sweet ideas! That superglue trick will get used on my current build, believe it!

Mark
              You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

XOs got assembled today after the final part arrived this morning. Should have them up and playing by tomorrow at the latest. Still trying to decide on a finish, but there's plenty of time for that. Final sim with values as built. Box response is not represented in the sim.

Comment

very nice....
                  Dave

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
                  If you are reading it in English thank a Veteran

Comment

Excellent as always Pete. Love the boxes. Great work.

Paul

Comment

Pete,

I don't know if you've used the Peerless sandwich cone drivers or not yet, but in my experience they have some of the smoothest midrange I've heard. You should like them a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by nitroterror View Post
                        Pete,

I don't know if you've used the Peerless sandwich cone drivers or not yet, but in my experience they have some of the smoothest midrange I've heard. You should like them a lot!
                        I'm very familiar with the CSX cones. I've used them many times in the past. That's the main reason I had so many laying around.

I'm anticipating some excellent midrange reproduction from this set up. The bass performance of these drivers is good as well, if not very deep. I'm sure I'll be doing some tweaking once the initial listening sessions are under way.

Comment

+1 on the bass response. I have a set of the 6-1/2" CSX a few years back and long story short, I wish I still had them. As long as theyre tuned around 45 or so they are hard to beat especially in that price range. I've designed and built many since those and I still feel like they were some of the best I've used.
                          Your results may vary.

Comment

Well, one of them is up and playing, and I'm liking what I hear so far. After the pair is up, then some voicing might take place, depending on how the overall balance between mids and bass turns out. So far though, with a few tracks of Diana Krall, Tori Amos, Nora Jones, Nils Lofgren, Johnny Adams, the balance seems right on for vocal reproduction.

Looks like tomorrow morning will be the stereo audition. Looking forward to that.

Comment

Stereo testing is finally underway. I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.

Comment

Stereo testing is finally underway. I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.

Great build Pete!
                                Last edited by zach_t; 08-24-2010, 09:13 PM. Reason: wrong name dumb a*s
                                Thanks,
                                Zach Tripp

Comment

Working...
                                X