Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Peerless 6 woofer 3-way under way

I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.

I'll bet you are. I hope you're liking what you're seeing as well. Those look nice! (The other pair ain't too shabby either.) -CJB

Comment

I can not wait to see them finished. I heard one playing this morning and it sounded really good, I bet a pair sound awsome.

Comment

Originally posted by CJB67 View Post
        I'll bet you are. I hope you're liking what you're seeing as well. Those look nice! (The other pair ain't too shabby either.) -CJB
        Even in their rough, unfinished state, they don't look too shabby do they. My mom doesn't know it yet, but these will be going down in her TV room. I can't believe it took me this long to build her a set. She's such a music lover, but never wanted anything more than her Bose radio. Well, the classic FM station here in St. Louis recently shut down, so the Bose radio is no longer used for music listening, and I can tell she misses it. These ought to open her ears to Hi Fi for the first time. Can't wait to give them to her. Hopefully, I can show them off in Iowa and give them to her right afterward. If I give them to her first, she'll not want me to take them out.

I just got through another couple hours of select tracks. Wow, are these things DYNAMIC!!! I was sitting slack-jawed at the reproduction of Chinese drums. These babies have some PUNCH!!! At the same volume setting, these slim towers put out a LOT more SPL than the Byzantiums. A 150W amp would be about perfect, though 100W will get them playing quite loud.

I'm very pleased with the overall result. Tweaking is still an option, but so far, I'm not sure what I'd change.

I need to talk to my mom and try and get her to tell me what kind of finish she'd like to see without giving away why. I need to get creative . . .
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by CWH&R View Post
          I can not wait to see them finished. I heard one playing this morning and it sounded really good, I bet a pair sound awsome.
          Huh?

Sorry, I couldn't hear you over the sound of how awesome they are . . . :p

But seriously, you wouldn't believe the bass performance with both of them playing.

Stop by again and grab an earful. :D

Nice to see you getting some pictures posted. I recognize the speaker in your avatar.
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I am alittle slow @ getting the X-overs together, But as soon as I get them together I will bring them over and make a day of it. I have one done one more to go, should be done tomorrow night. I did not get to listen yet, I have kids that need rides all over St. Louis. I will be tomorrow night :D.

Comment

Hey Pete, sorry for disappearing for the last 6 weeks ... just popped back in and saw this. You been busy! Did you actually cut wood this time :p

I'd like to come over and give these a listen, and your final voicing on the Parabola's (or whatever you call them). Now that it's cooled off I'm back making sawdust myself and have a few close to done.
              Vapor Audio

Comment

Looks darned good for "naked" cabinets. Mine in their unfinished state look like they FELL out of the white van while going down I-95.:D

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTap View Post
                  Hey Pete, sorry for disappearing for the last 6 weeks ... just popped back in and saw this. You been busy! Did you actually cut wood this time :p

I'd like to come over and give these a listen, and your final voicing on the Parabola's (or whatever you call them). Now that it's cooled off I'm back making sawdust myself and have a few close to done.
                  Any time Ryan. I was actually going to call you and see if I could arrange to bring them by your place. Would love to get your feedback on both systems.

Yeah, after I got the Jasper jig, I had to break it in, and these were the result.

Originally posted by CJB67 View Post
                  Looks darned good for "naked" cabinets. Mine in their unfinished state look like they FELL out of the white van while going down I-95.:D
                  Now that is a funny line . . . BWAHAHAHA

Comment

Nice Job Pete......looks awesome.

Comment

Any time Ryan. I was actually going to call you and see if I could arrange to bring them by your place. Would love to get your feedback on both systems.
                      That'd be great if you want to lug them out here, just let me know when.
                      Vapor Audio

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTap View Post
                        That'd be great if you want to lug them out here, just let me know when.
                        Only the towers. The beasts don't move!!!!! You have to come here to listen to them. :D

Comment

Pete,

So those are about ~38" tall?
                          Are you planning to paint them black except for the quarter round?

Super cool project

Louis

Comment

Originally posted by Ludo View Post
                            Pete,

So those are about ~38" tall?
                            Are you planning to paint them black except for the quarter round?

Super cool project

Louis
                            Good guess on the height. After I get the outriggers on, it should push it 40".

Still haven't decide on colors yet, but I'm leaning toward a black baffle, and maybe copper sides top and back.

Comment

"...the reproduction of Chinese drums" - I do think it would be fun to come over and meander through your music collection :D

Very nice build.

Comment

Re: Peerless 3 woofer 3-way under way

Since I had 6 Peerless 850439 laying around in various boxes that I'm not thrilled with, I decided to put them all together and go for a high sensitivity 3-way. 2 drivers in parallel for the woofer, crossed at 500Hz LR2 to another driver acting as a mid, crossing 2500Hz LR4 to the SEAS 27TBFC/G.

The woofers will be in roughly 1.5 cubic feet tuned to 50hz for F3 near 50Hz. After baffle step, these should provide in the neighborhood of 91dB/2.83V.

Well, one baffle is almost complete. I'm constructing them using oak quarter rounds to frame the baffle and offer diffraction mitigation. Progress is a little slow, but the wood accent should be visually appealing. I should have both done by the end of the day tomorrow. Then it's on to the rest of the box and bracing. I'll use those outrigger spikes to complete the look. Still need to decide on the overall paint scheme.
                                Have you tried the Peerless 830874 woofers? I'm going to be using a Vifa BC25SG15-04 tweeter and 2 of the woofers in a tower that's not too different in size/shape. It's for a customer and I let him try the pair I built with one woofer as a test and his immediate reaction was that he wanted that pair. I'll wire the woofers in parallel and just go with 4 Ohm impedance since he'll be using an Audio Research tube power amp. Any thoughts on this combo?

Comment

Working...
                                X