Contimuum TL Done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contimuum TL Done!

Thanks to Jeff Bagby for kindly allowing me to experiment with his design. This is basically a Continuum baffle placed in a TL enclosure. The AC130/F1 does well in a TL as we know from the TzuJan's (Paul K's TL on the TzuJan's BTW). Jeff's Continuum is as nicely executed 2-way as I've heard. A match made in DIY heaven as it were.

Enjoy. Well, actually, I'll enjoy.

Full length:

Baffle:

Inside woofer press fit mounting:
    Last edited by maynardg; 12-11-2010, 09:19 AM.

Re: Contimuum TL Done!

ANOTHER flawless looking speaker. Amazing.

Comment

Wow. Beautiful work. If you care to send a picture, I will gladly add it to my gallery.
      Martin

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
      www.quarter-wave.com

Comment

Originally posted by martin View Post
        Wow. Beautiful work. If you care to send a picture, I will gladly add it to my gallery.
        Wow Maynard, another excellent build!

And BTW 'he' never asked to add the Copper Project to his gallery.....MRS. OLSEN!!! He hates my coffee!!!

:D

Marty

Comment

Just curious. I know the Continuum design relied on a "bump" in the bass response due to alignment, to aid in compensating for baffle step, among other benefits. Moving the bass cutoff with the TL should have had an impact on the overall voicing. Were any other mods to the XO applied to accommodate that change?
          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Just curious. I know the Continuum design relied on a "bump" in the bass response due to alignment, to aid in compensating for baffle step, among other benefits. Moving the bass cutoff with the TL should have had an impact on the overall voicing. Were any other mods to the XO applied to accommodate that change?
            Not yet, Pete. Sounds awfully good as is. Gotta get some hours on the woofers, then I'll do some direct comparisons with the TzuJan's and some measurements.

Comment

Are you hearing significant bass extension with the TL versus the closed small box?

Comment

Can't say with certainty. I don't have the original to compare with.

Comment

Originally posted by dian1511 View Post
                  Are you hearing significant bass extension with the TL versus the closed small box?
                  I would expect so. ;)

Do you remember hearing the TzuJan's in Ft. Wayne, Darren? Very impressive bass for a small speaker with a 5" woofer. That's why I was interested in trying this combination of Maynard's TzuJan and my continuum out when he approached my with the idea.

Although, I do believe there is a trade off in power handling. The small sealed box of the Continuum will control excursions very well on the AC130, allowing it to be driven fairly hard before we see/hear some real stress. I am concerned that this will occur at a much lower level with the MLTL design. But, the TzuJan's had very nice bass, and I love the mids and highs in my Continuums - I would expect this to be an excellent small footprint speaker.

Maybe there's a future for it out there somewhere. :D

Jeff
                  Click here for Jeff Bagby's Loudspeaker Design Software

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
                    Can't say with certainty. I don't have the original to compare with.
                    T/S parameters predict the AC130 will have an F3 of about 70Hz in the Continuum. Close-mic'd measurements in-room indicate about 65Hz, and it is already rolling off at 12dB/oct. I am sure you are getting more extension than that with the larger box and the MLTL tuning.

By the way, when Paul did the MLTL simulations did he use the advertised T/S parameters for the woofer, because the real ones are quite different than Aurum Cantus' published specs? I can post what I measured, but Zaph's measurements were essentially identical. My Fs was little lower, about 49Hz, but I broke the drivers in first.

Jeff

Comment

Pete, I believe with the changing of the frequency of the impedance peak there is a resulting smoothing of the bump in the upper bass when it is placed in the MLTL. I think Maynard's bass will be smoother and more extended. I would prefer flatter if more extension is available too.

Comment

He used T/S taken by me using WT3.

AC130/F1, after break in, tested by WT3

f(s) = 50.47
                        Q(ms) = 4.442
                        Q(es) = .578
                        Q(ts) = .511
                        V(as) = 14.42 l
                        n(0) = .31%
                        M(ms) = 7.83g
                        R(e) = 7.73 ohms
                        Z(max) 67.13
                        L(e) = .6 mH
                        C(ms)= 1.2 mm/N
                        BL = 5.76
                        SPL 86.95Db

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                        T/S parameters predict the AC130 will have an F3 of about 70Hz in the Continuum. Close-mic'd measurements in-room indicate about 65Hz, and it is already rolling off at 12dB/oct. I am sure you are getting more extension than that with the larger box and the MLTL tuning.

By the way, when Paul did the MLTL simulations did he use the advertised T/S parameters for the woofer, because the real ones are quite different than Aurum Cantus' published specs? I can post what I measured, but Zaph's measurements were essentially identical. My Fs was little lower, about 49Hz, but I broke the drivers in first.

Jeff

Comment

Maynard,

The speakers looks very nice. I hope you show it at Indiana next year.

Darren

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff B. View Post
                            I would expect so. ;)

Do you remember hearing the TzuJan's in Ft. Wayne, Darren? Very impressive bass for a small speaker with a 5" woofer. That's why I was interested in trying this combination of Maynard's TzuJan and my continuum out when he approached my with the idea.

Maybe there's a future for it out there somewhere. :D

Jeff
                            Yes Jeff. I certainly remember the TzuJan's. I thought they were amazing pair of loudspeakers. They certainly filled the room as well. I definitely think there would be a future for a Continuum version.

What about a three way Continuum similar to what Dennirs Murphy did to his MB0W1s.

Darren

Comment

Originally posted by maynardg View Post
                              He used T/S taken by me using WT3.

AC130/F1, after break in, tested by WT3

f(s) = 50.47
                              Q(ms) = 4.442
                              Q(es) = .578
                              Q(ts) = .511
                              V(as) = 14.42 l
                              n(0) = .31%
                              M(ms) = 7.83g
                              R(e) = 7.73 ohms
                              Z(max) 67.13
                              L(e) = .6 mH
                              C(ms)= 1.2 mm/N
                              BL = 5.76
                              SPL 86.95Db
                              Yes. Those are very consistent with mine and Zaph's as well. It's too bad Aurum Cantus and PE don't show parameters that are closer to reality, especially since the drivers are very consistent - just different than advertised.

Comment

Working...
                              X