Hopes of doing my first design... dashed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopes of doing my first design... dashed

reading paul's latest faq led to reading wolf's "tips" blogs, and the combination of the two led to the requisite knowledge and desire to start playing around in jeff's software. this all coincided with seeing someone mention that zaph had measurements for the super cheap jamo 24394 buyout woofer, so i decided to make that the subject of my tinkering. spent a good amount of time over the last week-or-so working on a 2-way using that woofer, in combination with the vifa bc25sg15-04 that is also cheap and has been measured by zaph. i felt like i was really getting somewhere and for the last couple days i've been intending to post my progress and ask for opinions/advice/etc... and now today i see that the jamo is sold out. grrrrrr . i guess thats the way it goes when it comes to designing with low stock buyouts.

can anyone suggest an alternative cheap, somewhat easy to use but not too popular woofer, thats been measured and might work well in a guys first design? i know thats like asking to have your cake and eat it too, but i figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Re: Hopes of doing my first design... dashed

I'm partial to the peerless 835004 6.5" mid woofer as a buyout speaker. I think a few have had good luck with the bravox speakers but I'm not sure if they've been posted in a measurement thread like the peerless.

Take it easy
    Jay
    "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
    Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
    Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
    Levitation TM
    - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

The Audax/Max Fidelity buyout is nice and super easy to work with. My Iowa project is using that and the $10 Vifa buyout tweeter.

The $10 Peerless 6.5 looks most excellent, as well.
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I had just finished working up a design for a friend with very little cash using those same woofers. It was finally taking shape after a few pointers from Wolf. Then, like you, found that they were no more!:( I'm not sure I trust my own meager measurements yet to go it alone with the 20394, but if I have to order anything in the next few weeks, I'll probably throw a few of those in my cart. I hope they share the same genetic traits as their brother.
        Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

yea, i think it was you that i was referring to in the OP that turned me on to these, tom. so i blame you tom, you. ;) just kidding of course. it was fun and good experience starting a design, even if building is no longer feasible.

i noticed that peerless as i browsed the remaining buyouts, but then i remembered it's what lou used in his lecbos, and the tweeter he used in those (bc25tg19-04) is very similar to the one i've been working with (bc25sg15-04). i felt like i'd be pretty unoriginal going that route, since i'd essentially just be designing a lecbos mt. on the other hand, the advantage would be that thanks to lou, there are readily available measurements of the peerless.

johnny, is this the max fidelity you're talking about? if so, do you happen to have any frd's and zma's you could share?

i also noticed the peerless 850443 that zaph has on his site, that he says is nht surplus. i bought a foster plate amp from jack a while ago, and he seemed like a very nice, helpful guy, so i'd be more than happy to buy from him again. problem is, zaph doesn't list the nht part numbers and jack doesn't list the peerless part numbers. does anyone know which nht this might be? maybe the 081?

Comment

Yep, that Jamo woofer has potential and the price was sure right!

problem is, zaph doesn't list the nht part numbers and jack doesn't list the peerless part numbers. does anyone know which nht this might be? maybe the 081?
            Looking at the T/S parameters listed on Jack's spreadsheet compared to Zaphs measurements, it looks like it's the 080. I don't know how often Jack updates the spreadsheet, but it only lists 25 left in-stock. I have been wondering about those AR 12" for quite some time....I should probably just buy them and stop wondering!:D
            Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

If your gear can handle a 4 ohm load (use 20 ga coils and it will) I'd second the Peerless 835004 & an easy to use tweeter (Dayton Silkie, or ND28, HiVi SD1). You'll have plenty of wiggle room for the crossover. I know somebody besides me has used that woofer. Spend a few more $$ on drivers and you'll save it on crossover parts.
              Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
              "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
              Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

Originally posted by absolootbs View Post
                yea, i think it was you that i was referring to in the OP that turned me on to these, tom. so i blame you tom, you. ;) just kidding of course. it was fun and good experience starting a design, even if building is no longer feasible.

i noticed that peerless as i browsed the remaining buyouts, but then i remembered it's what lou used in his lecbos, and the tweeter he used in those (bc25tg19-04) is very similar to the one i've been working with (bc25sg15-04). i felt like i'd be pretty unoriginal going that route, since i'd essentially just be designing a lecbos mt. on the other hand, the advantage would be that thanks to lou, there are readily available measurements of the peerless.

johnny, is this the max fidelity you're talking about? if so, do you happen to have any frd's and zma's you could share?

i also noticed the peerless 850443 that zaph has on his site, that he says is nht surplus. i bought a foster plate amp from jack a while ago, and he seemed like a very nice, helpful guy, so i'd be more than happy to buy from him again. problem is, zaph doesn't list the nht part numbers and jack doesn't list the peerless part numbers. does anyone know which nht this might be? maybe the 081?

That's the one, but i don't have any FRd files you would find very useful. Mine are in-box and in-room specific.

Comment

Originally posted by absolootbs View Post
                  For the Peerless 850443 and practice using PCD here's a thread you should take a look at. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216158

You could work with the same files and parameters posted in that thread. Start off not looking at the designs posted and design your two way. Then compare what you did with what other designers at PE posted in the thread. By the same token you could do that with the peerless 835004 comparing your PCD results with different designs such as Lou's results, my sims, and fish 24-7's sims.

Take it easy
                  Jay
                  "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
                  Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
                  Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
                  Levitation TM
                  - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

The nht 081 is the peerless 850443.

Comment

The Audax/Max Fidelity buyout is nice and super easy to work with. My Iowa project is using that and the $10 Vifa buyout tweeter
                      Johnny, Not intending to hijack the thread but what have you put together on the max fidelity/ vifa project? I bought 4 of the 5.25"ers and am now wondering what I intended to do with them.

Comment

Originally posted by 2leftthumbs View Post
                        Johnny, Not intending to hijack the thread but what have you put together on the max fidelity/ vifa project? I bought 4 of the 5.25"ers and am now wondering what I intended to do with them.
                        Kinda keeping it under wraps right now, not because of anything "top-secret" or anything. Just... because

After Iowa, I will release all details. It is looking very promising so far, though. I will post a FR measurement (still very much a WIP though) later this evening.

Comment

Working...
                        X