Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VERY specific needs ... Which DIY design for me .... Help appreciated

OK ... Let me start again.

I travel in the medical field .... therefore floorstanding speakers are out for me.

Having said that, I do not want wimpy sounding bookshelf speakers though. I need a design that kicks ****. I can go as large as the larger curved PE cabinet, so a MTM is even a possibility.

My electronics are VERY, VERY high end, and I need a speaker that does them full justice. I was looking at Zaph's Revelator towers, but he does not make a 2 way bookshelf version.

Money is not an object, but I definitely want DIY ....

So please, I am looking for stand mountable speakers of the highest quality resolution and musicality.

Thanks

Re: VERY specific needs ... Which DIY design for me .... Help appreciated

Well, a good number of frequenters to this forum have started hyperventilating....

I will let them answer....
    My projects
    https://picasaweb.google.com/112307725038877176664

Comment

Originally posted by BELAMP View Post
      OK ... Let me start again.

I travel in the medical field .... therefore floorstanding speakers are out for me.
      Thanks
      Does this mean your audio gear travels with you?.......
      Not trying to be funny, just understand your needs a bit better.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
        Does this mean your audio gear travels with you?.......
        Not trying to be funny, just understand your needs a bit better.
        I carry a stripped down version with me ... yes. Amp, DAC, Preamp, transport and all cables.

Comment

You should check out Clearwave Loudspeaker Design's Minuet 5b.

Comment

This may be controversial.....

the Black Box, by Tony Gee

http://www.parts-express.com/project...oject=blackBox
            My projects
            https://picasaweb.google.com/112307725038877176664

Comment

Originally posted by BELAMP View Post
              I carry a stripped down version with me ... yes. Amp, DAC, Preamp, transport and all cables.
              Your answer lists everything but what we need, the speakers. Once again, are you looking for a portable speaker design or are you looking for relatively small stand mounted speakers?

If a home system, are you looking for high quality limited response (bass) or full range? If full range and you want to go small (. 75-1.0 ft3) then you will need a subwoofer or two.

There are many small high quality 2-way plans available. Do you want to build your own cabinets or use premade cabinets. PE's are very nice and there are a number of plans designed around the baffle width.

What kind of music do you listen to and how loud?

Comment

Originally posted by dwigle View Post
                Your answer lists everything but what we need, the speakers. Once again, are you looking for a portable speaker design or are you looking for relatively small stand mounted speakers?

If a home system, are you looking for high quality limited response (bass) or full range? If full range and you want to go small (. 75-1.0 ft3) then you will need a subwoofer or two.

There are many small high quality 2-way plans available. Do you want to build your own cabinets or use premade cabinets. PE's are very nice and there are a number of plans designed around the baffle width.

What kind of music do you listen to and how loud?
                I am looking for stand mountable speakers, but they can be fairly large. That is, I could go as large as a MTM using a pair of 7" drivers.
                I will build my own cabinets, as I have a custom cabinet maker friend.

I listen mostly to complex music such as Tool etc, but have 6000 CDs of every kind of music. I am looking for VERY high resolution, yet strong dynamics and punch.

Comment

Originally posted by ckmoore View Post
                  This may be controversial.....

the Black Box, by Tony Gee

http://www.parts-express.com/project...oject=blackBox
                  Hmmmm.........good recommendation based on his budget. I'd love to have a small speaker like that, but I can't afford it.

But yes, VERY controversial. I'd imagine they sound pretty [email protected] good though.
                  Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.

Scanspeak Revelator R2904/7000's, Scanspeak Revelator 15M/4531K00's, Scanspeak Revelator 22W/8857T00's, Eminence NSW6021's.
                  MiniDSP 4x10HD. ICE Power amplification and an iNuke 3000.

Sennheiser HD650's powered by TEAC amplification.

Comment

The Zaph ZRTs can be built in smaller cabinets just fine - just make sure you adjust the tuning frequency proportionally. Perhaps some aperiodic boxes might be in order?

Comment

The Clearwave suggestion is certainly a good one. The Symphonia 7 would be worth considering too.

Curt's Statement Monitor would merit consideration.

Don't know if Salk Sound does kits, but his work is impeccable. The Ellis 1801 is top notch.

Don't think anything I have would be upscale enough for what you want.
                      Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
                      "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
                      Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

I wanted Symphonia 7s, but the Accuton woofers used in it are back-ordered for an unknown time, and I am told it may be a long time at that.

I'm afraid I do not know anything about the drivers used in the statement monitor .... Do you think it could actually compete with a Revelator / AirCirc system ? I would be shocked to think so, but then I am just a newb.

Comment

Eton S7, Symphony 7" 2-Way Kit
                          No matter where you go, there you are.
                          Website

Comment

Have you looked at the TriTrix?

Kevin

Comment

The best, no compromise 2-way speaker can be had here. There is no DIY, or retail speaker that is a 6.5" bookshelf I have EVER hear at ANY price that compare. End of story. You would be short-selling yourself otherwise.

http://www.tweekgeek.com/_e/Vivid_Au...udio_V_1_5.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X