Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally!! Could the gainclone really be done?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally!! Could the gainclone really be done?!

9 months in and almost a labor of love.. my amplifier is complete.

In my humble opinion, she looks as good as she sounds.

The case is Sepele (African, Tropical.. honestly had never heard of it). I didn't want the case to be too thick, i.e. 3/4" or 1/2".. wanted something in the 1/4" to 3/8" range. Not owning or knowing anyone who owns a planer, I trucked up to Woodcraft to see what they had in the back room. I came across two pieces of this stuff, 3/8" x 3" x 24". It didn't look extremely exotic, but it fit the bill dimensionally, and they were straight and true. After gluing the pieces together, cutting, gluing, I hit a left over piece with tung oil, then proceeded to have another one of my "holy crap!" moments. This stuff is really neat! The grain pattern reverses and shifts depending on viewing angle.. the pics don't really do any justice but I'm very happy with the results. 5 coats of Tung Oil over 5 days..

Quick specs: 250VA Toroid (18V+18V), Dual Power Supplies, LM3886 amp boards, 60~70W x 2, 4 ohm design, inboard USB DAC.

Final Dimensions: 8-3/4"W, 5-3/4"D, 4"H. Weight: Heavy! (as it should be... Muaha... hah.. hahaha)

11-21-2010 - Added a soft starter. Schweet!

Link to more: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=219191
    Last edited by WWWJD; 11-21-2010, 08:16 PM.
    ~Mark

Stuff I've builded http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...lies/smile.png

Re: Finally!! Could the gainclone really be done?!

So nice! How's the performance of the DAC?
    Mongo only pawn in game of life
    ____
    Ed

Comment

Originally posted by edlafontaine View Post
      How's the performance of the DAC?
      It's great! I don't have any point of reference to compare it to, but I think it does the job right.
      ~Mark

Comment

Beautiful job. It just says Classic. That wood is amazing.
        I hope to build one some day.
        cuggie
        "What's Time To A Pig?"

Comment

The case is Sepele (African, Tropical.. honestly had never heard of it). I didn't want the case to be too thick, i.e. 3/4" or 1/2".. wanted something in the 1/4" to 3/8" range. Not owning or knowing anyone who owns a planer, I trucked up to Woodcraft to see what they had in the back room. I came across two pieces of this stuff, 3/8" x 3" x 24". It didn't look extremely exotic, but it fit the bill dimensionally, and they were straight and true. After gluing the pieces together, cutting, gluing, I hit a left over piece with tung oil, then proceeded to have another one of my "holy crap!" moments. This stuff is really neat! The grain pattern reverses and shifts depending on viewing angle.. the pics don't really do any justice but I'm very happy with the results. 5 coats of Tung Oil over 5 days..
          That looks great! You did a fabulous job shoehorning all that into the new case. You could probably price it in the $2-4K range if was in a "hifi salon":D
          I don't know about pricing on the actual lumber, but Sepele veneer is priced about the same as Oak or Cherry on Formwood's overstock page. How was it to cut and sand?
          Co-conspirator in the development of the "CR Gnarly Fidelity Reduction Unit" - Registered Trademark, Patent Pending.

Comment

Looks good. Clean and simple. Is that a volume knob off of a HK receiver?

Comment

Originally posted by tom_s View Post
              I don't know about pricing on the actual lumber, but Sepele veneer is priced about the same as Oak or Cherry on Formwood's overstock page. How was it to cut and sand?
              The planks I bought were $10 each; finishing and cutting were pretty easy. Final sand before oil was 600 grit, and buffed with steel wool between coats of oil.

Killa, the details of knob construction are in the build thread.
              ~Mark

Comment

Very nice! You take great pride in your work.
                Tim

Comment

great looking amp. i'd been following the build in your other thread and have been looking forward to seeing it finished. now you just need a pair of these to go with it...

Comment

mark, nice job. now you can relax till fall, right?
                    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      mark, nice job. now you can relax till fall, right?

NEVER!!

Got parts for some MTM OS sitting on the front burner... No rest for the wickedly addicted.

Thanks for all the positive feedback everybody. This hobby has been the best time out of all of them I've tried... don't look to stop anytime soon.
                      ~Mark

Comment

Love the amp look!

Qtr-sawn, ribbon-stripped Sapele is really nice. I used it on my RJB Microbes and Cerberus sub projects:

I still have another 2x8 sheet for future projects.
                        Andy.

Comment

That's some beautiful work Andy. What was the BF price for the Sepele you bought? Just curious.
                          ~Mark

Comment

Originally posted by WWWJD View Post
                            That's some beautiful work Andy. What was the BF price for the Sepele you bought? Just curious.
                            I used veneer that I bought off the sale page at Formwood (http://www.formwood.com/index.php) great place to buy cheap veneer.

Underneath is the standard 3/4" MDF.

Andy.

Comment

That is absolutely gorgeous! I really like the minimalist styling. Classy, elegant, unobtrusive in all the best ways! I think it was very serendipitous to have found that sepele wood, it finished beautifully and I think the 3/8 looks perfect. I understand how you thought thicker would be an issue, but looking at it now it almost seems as if 1/4 would have looked a bit thin. It looks perfect.

And I'm pleased to see how attractive the sepelle finished on both your project and the other speakers... I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what kind of veneer to get for my first project as it's coming to an end. I want something affordable as it's my first time but also want something with a really nice finish - don't know how to explain what I mean... I don't need 500 dollar a sheet burl but I don't want to just slap oak veneer on the thing either.

Great work!

Comment

Working...
                              X