X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone recommend a great preamp ?

Nevermind ... just found one.

Re: Anyone recommend a great preamp ?

Preamp? Who needs one ... all you need is a computer and an amp with plenty of gain in the output stage
    Vapor Audio

Comment

http://doddaudio.com/batt_pwred_preamp.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTap View Post
        Preamp? Who needs one ... all you need is a computer and an amp with plenty of gain in the output stage
        Amen!!!

Just got the ClassDAudio modules hooked up. Man does it sound good.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Pete, you and Doubletap surprise me a little bit. Your solution only works within some very limited parameters. As you well know everyone doesn't serve their music. Not everyone that serves their music (like me) uses a sound card. So at a miniumum we need some volume control.

Some of us still play vinyl as well as digital. Some of us like amps and preamps.

So your answers are kind of the same as recommending a 61/2 MTM for every speaker request.:rolleyes:

Amen!!!

Just got the ClassDAudio modules hooked up. Man does it sound good.
          I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
          OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
          Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
          Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
          Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
          LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
            Pete, you and Doubletap surprise me a little bit. Your solution only works within some very limited parameters. As you well know everyone doesn't serve their music. Not everyone that serves their music (like me) uses a sound card. So at a miniumum we need some volume control.

Some of us still play vinyl as well as digital. Some of us like amps and preamps.

So your answers are kind of the same as recommending a 61/2 MTM for every speaker request.:rolleyes:
            It still comes back to the question, why?

A PC/soundcard combo is capable of hosting every source you want, including vinyl. They have a thing called volume control as well. No need for pre-amp, CD player, DVD player. All of it is accomplished within the PC. I personally don't see the limit to the use. Everyone has a PC or laptop, so why not put them to some good use.

I know, some people still like dinking around with carburetors on their classic cars. Some people still like fumbling with all those interconnect cables and multiple pieces of gear. I'm simply suggesting a better, more efficient, method for delivering sound to the air.

For the money spent on a "good" pre-amp, you can build an entire PC with top quality sound card and 1+TB of storage, capable of holding a 1200+ CD library uncompressed. I personally don't see any advantage at all going the pre-amp route.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

For the money spent on a "good" pre-amp, you can build an entire PC with top quality sound card and 1+TB of storage, capable of holding a 1200+ CD library uncompressed. I personally don't see any advantage at all going the pre-amp route.
              Impedance mismatches, lack of gain, etc... Sometimes a preamp is needed, especially with hard to drive amps or amps with very little gain like some Pass amps. And as mentioned above, how about those with multiple sources(vinyl, SACD, etc...).

Sound cards have come a long way, but they still can't compete with high end DACs...yet.

With all that said, I have a PC with 6500+ lossless tracks on it. One rig still has an integrated amp, the other has a DAC with built in volume control.
              "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

What did you find that is great?

I use the 5687 version of the Aikido built from boards and PS kits. Wonderful pre.

Current kits and related products here:
                http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/aialls.html

Comment

I personally don't see any advantage at all going the pre-amp route.
                  My preamp doesn't have a fan.

Ron
                  C-Note Iron Driver Build
                  The Lydias
                  The Cherry π's
                  The Champs - Iron Driver 2015 Entry
                  My Projects Page

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. - Neil deGrasse Tyson
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuGCJJUGsg

Comment

I use a PC for all my media but I'll probably still go the preamp route. To use as an external DAC and do the sub XO and steer signals around, as in select from PC input or from Cable Box. Biggest PITA right now I have with using the PC is changing the receiver from 2.1 for music to 5.1 for movies. It doesn't take long but it'd still be nicer to find a solution that is a little more slick. I've been eyeing that emotiva unit for sometime, but I'll have to read the manual to see if it can do exactly what I need it too, but it certainly seems very capable at first glance.

Comment

I just can't imagine why anybody would want to spin discs anymore. Once the Squeezebox came out, having all my music so easily accessable revolutionized the way I listen. Using either a Squeezebox or a USB out into a DAC, you don't need external volume control. The Squeezebox has it's own volume control, and using the PC or Laptop USB out you use the volume control in Foobar. And I've been a part of numerous CD player vs Computer Audio comparisons, and it's usually not even close ... many many multi thousand dollar CD players have been humbled by the computer front end.

And once you get it all on your hard drive, you only have once source and don't need a pre anymore.
                      Vapor Audio

Comment

Two of these
                        http://octopart.com/3540s-1-103-bourns-105
                        with qty2 10 turn vernier
                        http://www.web-tronics.com/vediwispfor3.html
                        and a 4-pole (switch l/r hots and grounds separately) n-throw switch as a selector
                        http://www.grayhill.com/catalog/Rotary_53,57,59.pdf
                        and its an amazingly transparent and clean preamp. It allowed me to focus attention elsewhere.

Any decent source will drive it without issue but just make sure the amp has a high input impedance (>50k, or better) and the preamp cable lengths are less than 5' and not too capacitive.

It just sounds like nothing. I get <0.1db pk-pk error from about dc to 25kHz, in my application. I like having two separate mono pots with the verniers, the balance precision you can attain is amazing.

With the separate ground switch, my system is much quieter than with any preamp I tried since only the ground for the component in use is connected to the amp. Much less EMI. Also, if you wire it up carefully you can get >100dB channel separation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron_E View Post
                          My preamp doesn't have a fan.

Ron
                          Fanless PCs are available. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_M View Post
                            I use a PC for all my media but I'll probably still go the preamp route. To use as an external DAC and do the sub XO and steer signals around, as in select from PC input or from Cable Box. Biggest PITA right now I have with using the PC is changing the receiver from 2.1 for music to 5.1 for movies. It doesn't take long but it'd still be nicer to find a solution that is a little more slick. I've been eyeing that emotiva unit for sometime, but I'll have to read the manual to see if it can do exactly what I need it too, but it certainly seems very capable at first glance.
                            A PC does all the processing a receiver does. You don't need the receiver for anything but the amplifiers if you're using a PC for media.

Comment

Why would I need a preamplifier ? Some of us are VERY bad with a computer... and i mean REALLY bad.

Let me tell you a story .... My son gave me an 80g Ipod for Christmas two years ago. I started burning CDs like crazy to my computer, then loading them on to my Ipod. I still remember the magic number : 666 .... That is how many different songs I had on my Ipod when a friend explained to me that NONE of my songs on the Ipod were CD quality, because I had not ripped them in a lossless format !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fugging ****** off was what I was, and still am. That work took me 6 months to do, and is USELESS !

I don't know what Squeezebox is, or anything else for that matter, and I DO NOT understand how my laptop could replace both my CD player and my preamp.

Comment

Working...
                              X