Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Parts Express Home Page Design - PREVIEW

Dear Tech Talk Members,

We are launching a new design for the Parts Express home page and we would like for you to preview it today. We would appreciate your feedback prior to launching it to the rest of the world. Our plan is to roll out the new design in the next 24 hours to the world.

You can preview it by going to http://www.parts-express.com/new_home.cfm

Our goal is to upgrade our overall look and make the design cleaner and easier for our visitors to see items that on sale or featured and make it simple to find important resources on our site.

You may also notice that we redesigned the footer of the site a few weeks back - again trying to make the site more intuitive and consistent.

We will be upgrading all areas of our site over the coming months. We definitely value our customer's feedback and suggestions. We may not be able to tackle everything at once but I assure you that we listen.

Thank You,

Steve Sunshine
    Ecommerce Director
    Parts Express
    [email protected]

Re: New Parts Express Home Page Design - PREVIEW

Looks good!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Will it have an "Empty Shopping Cart" with one click option?
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Re: Not completely unrelated . . .

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        Dear Tech Talk Members,

We are launching a new design for the Parts Express home page and we would like for you to preview it today. We would appreciate your feedback prior to launching it to the rest of the world. Our plan is to roll out the new design in the next 24 hours to the world.

You can preview it by going to http://www.parts-express.com/new_home.cfm

Our goal is to upgrade our overall look and make the design cleaner and easier for our visitors to see items that on sale or featured and make it simple to find important resources on our site.

You may also notice that we redesigned the footer of the site a few weeks back - again trying to make the site more intuitive and consistent.

We will be upgrading all areas of our site over the coming months. We definitely value our customer's feedback and suggestions. We may not be able to tackle everything at once but I assure you that we listen.

Thank You,

Steve Sunshine
        Ecommerce Director
        Parts Express
        [email protected]

but the OLD (2009?) "Search" on the homepage used to work MUCH better.
        Also, today if I want to see the DA driver "lines", I don't know how to do it. If I go to select by "Brand" (or whatever) and go to Dayton Audio, I've get like 1000 items (unmanageable, ESPecially with dial-up!). It USED to go into Dayton Audio, then breakdown into (for example): Plate Amps, Drivers / Reference Series (or Reference Subs, or Titanic Line, or Neo Woofers, etc.).

Also, I know that I'm the last guy on the planet (Earth, anyway) to use dial-up, but I almost can't go to your homepage 'cause of all the graphics that HAVE to load (DOTD pics, little movies, and whatnot).

Also, it would be great if when a new flyer comes out, that I could grab it as a PDF file (and go off to eat dinner). Having an "interactive" flyer (or catalog, for that matter) where I can thumb "flip" through the pages might seem like a cool idea, but it uses up WAY more bandwidth than I can manage, for NO ADDITIONAL VALUE to ME, when really all I want to do is see some driver parameters, or check a price or availability (not spend me time watching a little "movie" effect of pages blowing in the wind).

I'm done. Thanks.

Chris

Comment

To echo Chris' sentiments, I would also like a "low bandwidth" option for PE.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
            To echo Chris' sentiments, I would also like a "low bandwidth" option for PE.
            Along the same sentiments, a mobile mode would be nice.
            "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Face View Post
              Along the same sentiments, a mobile mode would be nice.
              Same here. Livin in the boonies with Dial-Up.

Comment

My two cents.

Where are the links for speaker buyouts and closeouts?
                (oh they're at the top, I had to use edit->find to find them)

And where is the link to the projects showcase, it should be right up front and easy to find/use.

Yeah looking at them side by side I'm not sure I see a usability advantage to the new one. Maybe a new user would but I don't.

Also there are 2 large Tech Talk icons on the page within a few inches of each other (one in the middle lower left, and another below it towards the bottom)

Comment

Realizing that I am an old fuddy-duddy,( but I'm also a web designer who does a lot of SQL/ASP). I think all the embedded graphics and crosslinks/popups to Verisign, twitter, facebook etc. drive me nuts. At least with Firefox, NoScript and AdBlock I can shut them all down. (BTW, check your CSS settings, the silver top menu bar items at the top float all over the place in Firefox)

I think all the Flash/Shockwave is going to drive IPhone, Apple, Ubuntu etc. users nuts, along with other alternative browsers. Personally, I think it's just a bandwidth hog and security risk. At least with clearance center, we can choose.

You guys have a huge site with lots of content. Navigating will never be easy. Personally, I don't mind clicking through a few extra quick pages to get where I want to go. (beats those floating javascript menus)

All the gee whiz stuff is great - once. I think you need to decide if the website is primarily to attract new customers, or to facilitate returning customers. I'd guess the latter or you wouldn't be asking us. IMO, simple text centric pages are easier to deal with. If I want to see videos, then show me where they are, don't make me watch them.

Good luck with your thankless task! ;)
                  Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
                  "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
                  Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

I like the basic layout because it shortens the top to bottom scrolling distance.
                    Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Comment

Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
                      I like the basic layout because it shortens the top to bottom scrolling distance.
                      Same Here~Shorter

Comment

I echo the sentiment of making your web site load faster. Although I'm not on dial-up, my connection isn't that great and this web site is one of the three slowest I go to.

Comment

Ugh, the "New Products" page is still awful. We've asked for the ability to sort products by when they were added, we don't want to see just a few "featured" products, we want to just see ALL NEW products. That way, we could quickly look at all the new woofers/tweeters whatnot that we might not have tried yet.

Did I miss this? Is it there somewhere?

Thank you.

Also: The "See All Woofers" link is still that annoying popup which just goes away as soon as you move your mouse off, rather than bringing you to a page with links to all the categories the way it used to be (good).
                          "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Re: Not completely unrelated . . .

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                            Also, I know that I'm the last guy on the planet (Earth, anyway) to use dial-up, ...
                            No you aren't, and mine is worse than yours due to low quality phone lines in my rural area. The old homepage takes several refreshes to load due to time outs and the entire process can take a good 5 minutes or more to get the page mostly loaded. I avoid the homepage when possible.

I understand that the internet in general is getting very unfriendly to us dial up users but it doesn't have to be that way. For example, the fact that this forum loads much more quickly than most is within the top 3 reasons I come here. IOW this issue is extremely important to dial up users and there are a LOT of us still out there.
                            Don't even try
                            to sort out the lies
                            it's worse to try to understand.

Comment

I wish the DOTD was what showed up on the banner by default. When I view the page on my iPhone, which doesn't support Flash and thus does not let me see the multiple slides of the banner, I can only see the default picture which right now is the Peerless sub. It would be nice to be able to check the DOTD very quickly with my phone.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X