Cast Aluminum 6.5-Inch Buyout Woofer with shorting ring. First Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast Aluminum 6.5-Inch Buyout Woofer with shorting ring. First Test

Here is a non-scientific, non-rigorous comparison of Klipsch 6.5-inch buyout woofer vs Infinity Primus 162 at a distance of 1 M using Radioshack analog sound meter (uncalibrated and approximately pointing to the woofer) and Stereophile Test CD #2. I also included Stereophile lab test of P 162 as a reference. The Klipsch 6.5 is placed in a factory JBL LX 22 vented enclosure (0.45 ft3, with a 2-inch vent 4.5-inch long in the back), also unaltered except for closing the tweeter holes with pieces of plywood.

http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/...eries%20om.pdf
    Attached Files

Re: Cast Aluminum 6.5-Inch Buyout Woofer with shorting ring. First Test

It's really cool that you did that, Ligs.
    I might give it a try, but I can't today.
    When I do, I'll post it in this thread.

Comment

Excellent. Can't wait to see more about it

Comment

Cant' resist doing more measurements. I added the Infinity Perfect 6.1 woofer only(in 0.4 ft3 vented, vent is 1.5 inches by 6 inches long), AR 18 with EPI woofer( EPI woofer has 20 mm long VC winding vs 8-10 mm for AR 18 woofer) in 0.4 ft3 sealed enclosure(EPI woofer works best with 0.75 ft3 or lager with its 18 Hz free air resonant frequency). Both 8-inch AR and EPI woofers have natural rolloff around 2k hz, hence driven directly by the amp, the AR tweeter has a simple 5-6 uf cap, a really minimist approach. It is interesting Infinity 6.1 woofer seems to have a less pronounced 5 k hz peak than Klipsch's.
        Attached Files

Comment

I'm confused... which graph represents the buyout driver?

Comment

The pink line that is marked as Klipsch woofer.

Comment

Check out the response a typical of that RS meter: http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/...a/koya2811.pdf

That probably has much to do with the graphs you are making. Great job BTW! Thanks for those.

You can get a generic cal file for that meter here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...oads-page.html

Dan
              "guitar polygamy is a satisfying and socially acceptable alternative lifestyle."~Tony Woolley
              http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/
              http://soundcloud.com/dantheman-10

Comment

Thanks for the article. That explains the mysterious high frequency peak(s). I included P 162 measured under the same condition and that represents a fairly flat speaker so we can compare to that.

Comment

You're welcome. I know I've seen many graphs of that meter around the web and they certainly do have quite a bit of variability. Yours looks to fall somewhere in the norm. They are really not that bad. I've never really bothered to see how mine does vs. my calibrated mic. It would be nice to know. I should stop being so lazy.

Dan
                  "guitar polygamy is a satisfying and socially acceptable alternative lifestyle."~Tony Woolley
                  http://dtmblabber.blogspot.com/
                  http://soundcloud.com/dantheman-10

Comment

edit: my bad

still sux their promoting the crap out of this garbage speaker though

Comment

Originally posted by ARSIS View Post
                      wow.. the mods erased a majority of this thread because people dont care too much for these crappy drivers. that's sad as hell. i want buy a fvcking thing from parts express ever again. this place reeks of fail
                      Are you sure you got the right thread?
                      Perhaps you meant this one.

Comment

Huh
                        Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by PassingInterest View Post
                          Are you sure you got the right thread?
                          Perhaps you meant this one.

yeah... my bad

Comment

Originally posted by ARSIS View Post
                            edit: my bad

still sux their promoting the crap out of this garbage speaker though
                            Wait, I'm confused.
                            I thought your complaint was against the Infinity Perfect Components, not these Klipsch drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by PassingInterest View Post
                              Wait, I'm confused.
                              I thought your complaint was against the Infinity Perfect Components, not these Klipsch drivers.
                              He's just trying to troll a forum of people that have been around too long to let it get their goat. The internet is full of them - people who's sole joy in life is trying to incite rage in others. When they stop getting nibbles, they generally move on.

He picked me for some strange reason (I think he thought a comment made by another poster was made by me), but I have been around the interwebs long enough to know his kind.
                              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X