Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRD, ZMA driver data

Hi all..

I'm on a vacation :D right now, and am including "hobby" work as legal "Vacation" activities... ;)

I used to have, but don't seem to on this laptop, the large collection of FRD/ZMA data for Dayton (and other?) drivers. Was wondering if someone could point a source out for me. (I'm emailess at the moment, and am keeping it that way!!!)

Might also be an opportune time to ask if/lobby for PE to update the list, which was a few years old. Lots of new, interesting drivers have appeared since then.
    Would be a great resource for the DIY crowd...

Time to hop out of the coffee shop, and hit the town... check back later...

Re: FRD, ZMA driver data

There are several people who have hosted Darren's CLIO files. Good luck getting PE to measure the new drivers- we have been barking up that tree for quite some time now.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Hmm... back from a long stroll around this little mining town... no linkage yet.

Ah well, maybe I'll try using that SPL Trace if I don't get back to the only Wi-fi spot in town tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by jonpike View Post
        Hmm... back from a long stroll around this little mining town... no linkage yet.

Ah well, maybe I'll try using that SPL Trace if I don't get back to the only Wi-fi spot in town tonight.
        I'm looking around for you, can't find the post where Darren upped them.

Comment

Here, I think...

Comment

Originally posted by jonpike View Post

Colorado?

Comment

johnny's link will work, or if the computer you're on can't handle 7z files, go here for the regular zip version.

Comment

Maybe I can't see the forest for the trees since I'm a newb but I'm really surprised that PE doesn't offer FRD and ZMA files as a matter of standard practice. I mean they are selling a product (I'm assuming) specifically targeted at the DIY community. And as DIYer's we use/need those files to design speakers in which to use their products.

Maybe I'm different than the norm but as a consumer with internet access, before I buy anything I do lots of research of a product, read reviews, etc. And I typically make my purchases on line. Those businesses that don't offer on line pricing or shopping including calculating shipping miss out on my business. I like the idea of supporting the local 'little guy' but if they cant put up an informative website then I see little point in propping up a business that doesn't provide a service I want. So when companies (PE in this case) make every effort to provide me with all the info I may need or want (FRD and ZMA files) then it would probably persuade me to select their product over a competitor just because they made it easy for me - not leaving out that they do provide a great product at a good price mind you. They already had that data since they print it on the spec sheets so why not share the raw data?

Sorry for the ramblings of a newb.

Comment

Re: history

Originally posted by Ryan_M View Post
                  Maybe I can't see the forest for the trees since I'm a newb but I'm really surprised that PE doesn't offer FRD and ZMA files as a matter of standard practice. I mean they are selling a product (I'm assuming) specifically targeted at the DIY community. And as DIYer's we use/need those files to design speakers in which to use their products.

Maybe I'm different than the norm but as a consumer with internet access, before I buy anything I do lots of research of a product, read reviews, etc. And I typically make my purchases on line. Those businesses that don't offer on line pricing or shopping including calculating shipping miss out on my business. I like the idea of supporting the local 'little guy' but if they cant put up an informative website then I see little point in propping up a business that doesn't provide a service I want. So when companies (PE in this case) make every effort to provide me with all the info I may need or want (FRD and ZMA files) then it would probably persuade me to select their product over a competitor just because they made it easy for me - not leaving out that they do provide a great product at a good price mind you. They already had that data since they print it on the spec sheets so why not share the raw data?

Sorry for the ramblings of a newb.
                  I've been here about 10 years. That's just about how old the Project Showcase is. Back then a LOT of the showcase projects were done by a PE employee named Darren K. Typically, when a bi-monthly flyer came out, it featured drivers that Darren had just tested. He might have tested 6 Goldwoods of a certain series, along with a tweeter. He'd come up with a new Showcase design, those drivers would be on sale for the next two months, and we'd get maybe half-a-dozen new frd/zma CLIO files that Darren had made. Then he'd run some (new) RS drivers, the next time a bunch of USHERS, then Tang Band, etc.

He always tested at 1 meter from a baffle of known size with the drivers surface mounted. As long as you kept the drivers relative acoustic centers the same, you could even use the phase data in those files.

He left to go to what had become Tymphany (a merger/buyout of the very well know Scan Speak / Vifa / Peerless brands). No one at PE has ever really replaced him or the services that he routinely provided for us, even though we've begged.

Now, the biggest source of data comes from John Krutke (Zaph Audio). You've got to trace his frd curves and extract minimum phase in PCD in order to design. He also supplies impedance curves, but they're not too useful due to their compressd vertical scale. Still, there are softwares out there that you can sim zma data with, OR you can get a useful data file from your trusty WT3.

Chris

Comment

PE providing measurements for download was probably a single exception. I'm not aware of any other retail site doing so. They were an anomaly. Manufacturers have a difficult time with consistency, only the better ones have been able to get what we might call reasonable results, so don't be surprised that they are no provided by them. There's more to consider, but this alone will likely ensure that they are never provided except by a vendor such as PE when they have someone in their employ who will undertake the effort. I was sorry to see Darren go.

dlr
                    WinPCD - Windows .NET Passive Crossover Designer

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

Actually, Julian, which is a little gold mining town inbetween LA and San Diego...

Well, found that link yesterday, and discovered that you couldn't rename a .7z file to a .zip file...

Bummer...

Then, did a more thorough search of my hard drive, and turned up a copy of Darren's PE Clio files. Woohoo... :rolleyes:

Wondering if it's the last one or not, but it does have the drivers I was looking to play with. So for now, I'm good... I'll cross check against the .zip file from PE. I couldn't find it on the site, wondering if there's a section where it's kept?

This PE collection of FRD and ZMA info would be a good addition to the speaker designer bible page... probably should go in the resources list.

I seem to recall Madisound having their own setup and testing drivers the sell, but not sure if they went to the FRD/ZMA level of data.

On more FRD/ZMA data... one of the things is that it takes a lot of time, effort and equipment. It likely was Darren's (at least) full time job, to measure the incoming drivers, and produce designs on a regular basis. I'd imagine that you'd be hard pressed to find someone to do that, as well as they'd probably want more money than you'd be likely willing to pay them.
                      Also seems they're getting in more buyout drivers than they used to.. the workload is going up.

That said, it would be great if they could do a smaller number of drivers, especially the new Dayton offerings. It would facilitate more people trying them out and using them in projects...

Comment

Working...
                      X