• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete Basel
    replied
    Re: OS MTMs... a plan... finally!!

Originally posted by WWWJD View Post
    Got the finish coat on the baffles this weekend, and also test fit all of the drivers. The finish I landed on was just 3M undercoat, (IMO) it really does look nice in the end.
    Those look fantastic, is this the 3M Undercoat that you used?
    http://www.tcpglobal.com/AutoBodyDep...FUbe4Aod7lTamA

Did you use a primer or just the 3M Undercoat?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• RINNAV
    replied

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
    Well Mr. Sarcasm, you could be clearer. Since you have a box program, you have all the info you need to calculate for yourself. You came in to an essentially dead thread with an open-ended question. If you couldn't read the drawing, send the originator a pm and ask a question.

Next time don't bother with the "Any help is appreciated!" and do your homework.
    Noted--I thought it was clear when I referenced a single port. I do intend modeling as noted in my post above and my intention was to see what “worked” in this design. I do appreciate the response, it just seemed that you did not really read my post and assumed that I did not do my "homework", which is contrary the fact. I did read a condescending tone within your reply so I responded--next time I will spell it out a little better. No worries and my response was not meant to personally offend you... Thanks again!

Jason
    Last edited by RINNAV; 02-23-2011, 01:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Well Mr. Sarcasm, you could be clearer. Since you have a box program, you have all the info you need to calculate for yourself. You came in to an essentially dead thread with an open-ended question. If you couldn't read the drawing, send the originator a pm and ask a question.

Next time don't bother with the "Any help is appreciated!" and do your homework.

Originally posted by RINNAV View Post
    Of course I did... While Paul states a 2 or 3 inch diameter port will work [in place of the two 1.25" diameter ports] I was specifically asking about the diameter and length of the port used in this design, hence the reference to the 'single' port (singular form in my last post) used in this configuration as shown in the drawings at the begining of the post.

But thanks for your insight:rolleyes:
    Jason

Leave a comment:

• RINNAV
    replied

Thanks Paul! The cabinet will be slightly different so I may go with that...

Jason

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

Well, a single 2" port is too long in the current cabinet. However, you could adjust the dimensions (shorter and deeper--keeping the interior volume the same) and make the cabinet deeper, and then a 2" vent would probably fit.

A 2" vent would need to be 7.5" inches long.

Leave a comment:

• RINNAV
    replied

Of course I did... While Paul states a 2 or 3 inch diameter port will work [in place of the two 1.25" diameter ports] I was specifically asking about the diameter and length of the port used in this design, hence the reference to the 'single' port (singular form in my last post) used in this configuration as shown in the drawings at the begining of the post.

But thanks for your insight:rolleyes:
    Jason

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Have you never gone to the designer's site?

http://sites.google.com/site/undefin...htsensationmtm

The port(s) are 2 6" long 1.25" i.d Sch 40 PVC tubes.

Originally posted by RINNAV View Post
    Bump...

WRT the port diameter and length--I have looked via the forum search fuction and cannot find a ref to a single port in the OS MTM. Any help is appreciated! I will most likely model in Bass Box but this being my first build in years, and the fact that I cant read the measurements on the jpg I want to make sure...

Thanks,
    Jason

Leave a comment:

• RINNAV
    replied

Bump...

WRT the port diameter and length--I have looked via the forum search fuction and cannot find a ref to a single port in the OS MTM. Any help is appreciated! I will most likely model in Bass Box but this being my first build in years, and the fact that I cant read the measurements on the jpg I want to make sure...

Thanks,
    Jason

Leave a comment:

• RINNAV
    replied

What size port did you end up using for these? I am going to start a OS MTM soon and am looking at the different design options WRT the porting... Thanks!

Jason

Leave a comment:

• WWWJD
    replied

Thanks guys! And yea.. I definitely veneered these prior to baffle attachment. The veneer was unbacked and extremely brittle. Trimming made me a nervous wreck, so I was very relieved to get it done without too many snafus.

Leave a comment:

• captainobvious99
    replied

VERY nice craftsmanship. They look terrific.

Leave a comment:

• brianbunge
    replied

I assume he veneered the cabinet and then attached the black baffle afterwards. Either way, they look amazing!!

Leave a comment:

• tomzarbo
    replied
    Re: Almost there...

Originally posted by WWWJD View Post

After much deliberation, I decided to finish these in Sapele just like the gainclone. After all, they'll be sitting on the same desk and truth be told, the prices I was coming up with for veneer were really steep. Three pieces of Sapele 10" x 80" only cost me $26 including shipping. It was kind of hard to argue with vs. the $60 to $70 I was going to have to spend for the other species. Finish is the same as the gainclone as well; three coats of high gloss tung oil. Regardless, I'm pleased. These will be running this weekend. Psyched.
    Those are beautiful!
    Was it hard to get the veneer line up to the black baffle nice and neat? It looks like it might be a little tricky.

TomZ

Leave a comment:

• WWWJD
    replied
    Almost there...

After much deliberation, I decided to finish these in Sapele just like the gainclone. After all, they'll be sitting on the same desk and truth be told, the prices I was coming up with for veneer were really steep. Three pieces of Sapele 10" x 80" only cost me $26 including shipping. It was kind of hard to argue with vs. the $60 to $70 I was going to have to spend for the other species. Finish is the same as the gainclone as well; three coats of high gloss tung oil. Regardless, I'm pleased. These will be running this weekend. Psyched.

Leave a comment:

• WWWJD
    replied

Got the finish coat on the baffles this weekend, and also test fit all of the drivers. The finish I landed on was just 3M undercoat, (IMO) it really does look nice in the end.

I experimented around with Rustoleum's hammered metal for it's texture over the last week or so. I never could find a happy spot, so I sanded it all off and went the 3M route.

All that's left is veneer! These should be up and running in the next two weeks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X