dvd dilema.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dvd dilema.

My old DVD player is dying. It's about 7 years old so, god bless it.
    So here's my dilemma. I have an old Sony CRT and eventually will upgrade to plasma but not in a few month. TV is connected via BRG and optical to a SS receiver. Soooo, do I get OPPO now or just look for a $50 deal in a best buy to hold me for a year? TV technology gets upgraded very quickly as well. Opinions?
    http://www.diy-ny.com/

Re: dvd dilema.

Vid chips are constantly improving almost daily. In 6-8 months a new version Anchor Bay may make the Oppo obsolete. Most BR players have excellent DVD upconversion and some even include SACD for under $100. I haven't bought a SD DVD in about a year now as BD discs are falling and price and slowly but surely will replace DVD. Your Plasma will be capable of High Def so might as well capatilize on it now. I picked up my most recent BD player, the Pioneer BFD-320 for under a $100 and it has 7.1 Analog outs for my older Sony ES receiver that i can't see replacing just because it doesn't do HDMI audio. Look for one with 7.1 analog IMO. At least you can enjoy Dolby HD while you wait for the flatscreen!

Comment

I have a full blown home made HT set up. DVD is connected to the Marantz receiver via digital cable. I am guessing any under a $100 DVD players will have digital or optical out. So, I think I'll get el chipo DVD player and wait till I have $ for a plasma and then upgrade to the latest and greatest within the reason.

Comment

That's why i suggested a BD with 7.1 analog outs as the newest high definition codecs ARE NOT bit streamed via coax or optical....only HDMI audio or with built in decoders and sent to the multi ANALOG outs.

You can find the Pio and others with analog outs for $100 or less new.

If you crave SD DVD, i've got a barely used Sony that also does SACD i'll sell ya.....i'm right across the island in Linden NJ....cheap. I just look at SD DVD players now like i look at VHS.

Comment

I have a Philips dvp3xxx series that was like $45. It's a great unit that will play virtually anything without complaint.

bb

Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything.
          - Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)

Comment

sorry, at the risk of sounding dumb, what is SD DVD player?

Comment

sd dvd is standard def dvd. as opposed to high def dvd, which is a dead format. i agree on the sd dvd = vhs. heck, discs aren't even relevant in my world anymore. rip and stream... rip and stream.

however, i also realize that not everyone's requirements are the same as mine. and on that note, i second the phillips players being decent, reliable, and playing pretty much anything. or, when my parents old dvd player just recently died, i had them pick up one of these. cheap, readily available, and has done fine so far. pretty much any dvd player made is going to have at least one form of digital audio out, regardless of how cheap it is. and don't worry about paying extra for any upscaling capabilities if you've still got a crt tv and you plan to go to blu-ray when you get a high def tv.

Comment

Originally posted by r-carpenter View Post
                sorry, at the risk of sounding dumb, what is SD DVD player?
                Not dumb at all! tech is changin so fast who can keep up?

SD DVD is standard definition 480i or p depending. The upscaling capabilities in the newest crop of BD players are excellent so when you DO get that plasma, you'll have all the resolution you need from either a BlueRay disc or your current DVD collection. I chose the Pioneer for it's excellent scaling to 720p or 1080i of regular (SD) dvds. As good as cable HD but not as good as blueray native.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem13 View Post
                  That's why i suggested a BD with 7.1 analog outs as the newest high definition codecs ARE NOT bit streamed via coax or optical....only HDMI audio or with built in decoders and sent to the multi ANALOG outs.

You can find the Pio and others with analog outs for $100 or less new.

If you crave SD DVD, i've got a barely used Sony that also does SACD i'll sell ya.....i'm right across the island in Linden NJ....cheap. I just look at SD DVD players now like i look at VHS.
                  This is partially true. Dolby Digital EX will stream over optical/coax, but Dolby True HD will not. DTS-ES will stream over optical/coax, but DTS HRA and DTS-HD Master will not. However, he will not be losing anything from his current system, as the player will down convert to the next lowest codec. So not gaining anything, but also not losing anything.

Either way, I totally agree with you that the 7.1 analog out player is the way to go in any case. It's nice to have it there in case you need it. Even before Blu-Ray, analog outs were always a requirement for my purchase of an SD DVD player.

The Toshiba BDX 2500 might be one of the cheapest with 7.1 analog at the moment. It could be had for $89 a few weeks ago... but has since bounced back up to $110ish. Just keep an eye one it, it keeps fluctuating.

I personally went with the Panasonic BD85K, as it's several other features were better suited for my intended use.

IMO, another big perk of the newer, lower priced Blu-Ray players over buying another DVD player just to get you buy is the streaming media. Netflix is an amazing service for the money. Amazon movies can even be streamed in HD.

The up conversion is another plus... but I have found that the up conversion on some of the lower priced Blu-Ray players (or even up converting DVD players for that matter) almost make the movie worse. Some add very undesirable artifacts that make you want to just watch the movie in 480p.

Comment

The DACs in lower end players may be inferior to the DACs in a decent receiver...not always, but often. I'd put the extra $50-100 for analog output on a player toward a newer receiver and use the HDMI connection.

Unless you need SACD/DVD-A capability, I'd consider a $100 BluRay player with HDMI a better long-term investment than any SD player...plan your purchases in the direction of a complete HDMI system.

Comment

I have a bottom of the barrel Sony SD DVD that I got at Wally World for about $30. Every time I watch a movie I wish I had spent more.

Maybe it doesn't like the Sony Trinitron it's playing through. I dunno but there are artifacts showing up when the screen should be black. Otherwise it sounds just fine.

Comment

So here's my dilemma. I have an old Sony CRT and eventually will upgrade to plasma but not in a few month. TV is connected via BRG and optical to a SS receiver. Soooo, do I get OPPO now or just look for a $50 deal in a best buy to hold me for a year? TV technology gets upgraded very quickly as well. Opinions?
                        I am in the same transition. I have a great but old Pioneer Elite rear projection tv that will be replaced for a flat panel as part of a remodeling project soon. But until that happens I wanted the ability to view blu-ray as well as my large collection of SD DVDs. Three things influenced by ultimate decision to go with the Oppo:

1. I don't care about 3D (I don't feel like wearing glasses over my glasses, never mind the present absence of content)

2. The Oppo will (by all reports) upscale my 300 plus disk collection effectively. I believe it will require the HDMI connection to do that though. They look great now via the component connection.

3. My older Anthem processor doesn't have HDMI ports, but it will accept multichannel audio output from the Oppo so that I can enjoy the latest audio processing available on blu-ray. My old Anthem is a great machine and has many years left in it.

Even though I am only using the Oppo through the analog component video ports, going up to 1080i, blu-ray looks great. Operation is very quick. I probably could have got 2 of the 3 needs above with any number of perfectly competent blu-ray players for a lot less money, but I'm not sure about getting all 3. If you have SACD or DVD Audio discs, it will decode those as well. They sound great.

A feature I had not considered was networking the thing. I've got it plugged into my network, so software updates are painless. I've turned off the extra blu-ray network 'features' because they are mostly just ads and spam, and slow down disc loading. BUT, and this is kind of cool, I can view the zillion photos I've got stored on a network drive via the Oppo onto my TV. Way better than even my large desk top display. You can easily rotate and zoom on them too. I've spent hours looking at photos I haven't touched in ages. Some other players probably have this feature as well.

Video streaming from outside sources, such as Netflix, is not supported, at least yet, by the Oppo. The new flat panel might do that though, or if you are into it, you can add a dedicated box. I'm not sure the streaming technology is there just yet, but I've not experienced it personally. This feature wasn't even on my list, but I think others like it. I think in the future it will be the primary means of distribution.
                        I've got zero regrets on the Oppo-BDP83. Worth the bucks.

Edit: I just looked at the Oppo website. They've posted a note that the 83 is out of production due to availability of major parts. Not sure if this means temporarily or permanently. I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see them coming out with a new product aimed at 3D. Beats me.

Ahh... seems there is a new product coming out dubbed the BDP-93. Specs not finalized. The fanatics over here have been discussing it... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post19267707

Comment

I got a flatpanel TV last year and bought a cheap upscaling DVD universal player (Denon DVD-1940CI) to hold me over, while I wait for bluray player prices to drop. But DVD's upscaled to 1080p look so good (film-like), I'm not in any rush to get a bluray player, eventhough prices have indeed dropped since then.

Anyway, if you decide to go the cheap DVD route. There are bargains to be had. Harmon is directly selling off DVD 48's on ebay. Auction prices vary but are in your range:

http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio/...=p4634.c0.m322

The plus side is that you would get what some say is a great audio player too, for CDs and SACDs as well. Some comments on this player:

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=hirez&m=268609

Comment

FWIW, here is what I did:

A while back, I purchased a 2nd hand RCA 38" CRT that happens to be high def. That is fed from an Oppo DV-981HD player, which is routed through a box, HDFury, which converts HDMI to RGB or component video (does both), and provides HDCP functionality. The player is programmed to output 1080i, but doesn't provide component video outputs.

Net-net, I can watch upscaled DVD's. I was about to do the same with Oppo's BD83, as the DVD player developed a power supply problem, but this was repaired by Oppo for few $.

I would get the Oppo now, rather than a transitional piece, as the BD83 has component video outputs. You just won't be able to enjoy blueray software at high res rates if your CRT can't support that resolution. But, this should get you up and running until you decide to upgrade the TV and receiver.

Regards,

Rob

Comment

Working...
                            X