No announcement yet.

Eminence crossover with 4 ohm woofer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eminence crossover with 4 ohm woofer??

I've built quite a few PA speakers with these eminence crossovers but have always used 8 ohm drivers. They do clearly specify "for use with 8 ohm drivers". However I am curious about using one with a 4 ohm woofer. It might see 250-300W maximum. Would it die a tragic death?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=290-602

Re: Eminence crossover with 4 ohm woofer??

Using a driver with a different impedance will change the effective corner frequency of that passband of the crossover.

That's academic, though, because stock pre-built crossovers are essentially junk, and they make junk speakers, because they assume the driver already has perfectly flat frequency response and a resistive impedance. If you're crossing over between high-frequency and low-frequency resistors, then they're fine to use, but if you want to use an actual loudspeaker driver, stay away from stock crossovers, unless you don't mind building junk that doesn't live up to its true potential.
    Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by Taterworks View Post
      Using a driver with a different impedance will change the effective corner frequency of that passband of the crossover.

That's academic, though, because stock pre-built crossovers are essentially junk, and they make junk speakers, because they assume the driver already has perfectly flat frequency response and a resistive impedance. If you're crossing over between high-frequency and low-frequency resistors, then they're fine to use, but if you want to use an actual loudspeaker driver, stay away from stock crossovers, unless you don't mind building junk that doesn't live up to its true potential.
      Point taken. I'm actually thankful for your honest advice. I do need to build my own crossovers.

Now, where to start..... Is there any crossover design software that will hold my hand like a baby?

Comment

Simple answer "NO". Most all crossover design software has a large learning curve. One that many use (and its free) is Jeff's PCD, another is SpeakerWorkshop (also free).

Only way to learn is to download one and try copying a known design and see if you can work to the same design. Plus many here will be happy to give help and aid.

(see my WebSite for download locations of above software)
        Ed

Comment

Ok

I was hoping there would be a "crossover wizard". Ah that would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by killersoundz View Post
            I've built quite a few PA speakers with these eminence crossovers but have always used 8 ohm drivers. They do clearly specify "for use with 8 ohm drivers". However I am curious about using one with a 4 ohm woofer. It might see 250-300W maximum. Would it die a tragic death?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=290-602
            That's not a crossover, it's a high pass filter. That being the case the woofer impedance is moot.
            www.billfitzmaurice.com
            www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice View Post
              That's not a crossover, it's a high pass filter. That being the case the woofer impedance is moot.
              Whoops....that is a high pass...

I meant this one:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=290-636

Comment

Originally posted by killersoundz View Post
                Whoops....that is a high pass...

I meant this one:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=290-636
                My assumption is that Eminence takes the rising impedance of a driver with rising frequency into consideration when arriving at their component values. As most pro-sound drivers capable of being crossed that high, sixes and eights, have reasonably similar impedance characteristics it probably works reasonably well, at least as far as pro-sound standards go. Using the right impedance driver, of course.
                www.billfitzmaurice.com
                www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Comment

Working...
                X