Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dayton Reference Series - Non-shielded

Folks,

Dayton has "new" reference series - the none shielded version of RS150, 180, 225, .....

Would these be drop in replacement for the popular shielded version that many RS based designs used? From the spec, I wasn't sure.

And the added bonus is all shielded version are on sale. I just grabbed a few. :D

Re: Dayton Reference Series - Non-shielded

you mean like these?: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-374

those have been around a while. Very popular in car audio diy. Notice 4ohm too

And the truncated ones are slightly newer
    www.ebaudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by erikb View Post
      you mean like these?: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-374

those have been around a while. Very popular in car audio diy. Notice 4ohm too

And the truncated ones are slightly newer
      No, like this:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-354

New picture as well (colored...) It took me a while to realize this is a "new" none shielded version.

Is PE retiring all shielded version?

Comment

yeah, it doesn't have the magnet boot like the 4ohm version. hmmm
        www.ebaudio.com

Comment

So I picked up a few RS225. Last time I collected 4 TB. This is going to be a very reasonably priced Statements. ;)

With all shielded version of RS drivers on sale, my guess is PE is retiring these. There is less need of shielded drivers b/c all TVs are going to LCDs. It's probably more cost effective for none-shielded version.

What about all time popular RS based designs?

Comment

Hrm, well I think a non-shielded 8ohm version has been requested for a while so that is kind of neat. As LCDs replace CRTs shielded drivers are less and less relevant these days, however a lot of designs call for those old shielded guys so hopefully the continue to offer them, or the designers update their designs for the non-shielded version.

Having said that the shielded drivers seem cheap right now, get em while they're hot.

Comment

Originally posted by evilskillit View Post
              Hrm, well I think a non-shielded 8ohm version has been requested for a while so that is kind of neat. As LCDs replace CRTs shielded drivers are less and less relevant these days, however a lot of designs call for those old shielded guys so hopefully the continue to offer them, or the designers update their designs for the non-shielded version.

Having said that the shielded drivers seem cheap right now, get em while they're hot.
              Is there a reason to request non-shielded 8 ohm version?

Comment

Originally posted by parodielin View Post
                Is there a reason to request non-shielded 8 ohm version?
                Dunno actually, maybe because its got less junk behind the basket restricting its breathing? I also figured the TS parameters would be a bit better, because they are on the 4 ohm non-shielded version, but maybe thats due to the 4 ohm voicecoil and not the lack of shielding. (4 ohm version has more xmax and lower fs, among other things)

Comment

From what I can tell, the RS150-8 doesn't appear to be drop in replacement for the RS150S-8. I think you could and it might sound fine but it wouldn't be optimized. The RS150-8 is 1db less sensitive and it's midrange possess some significant dips that will lower that number more. Vas is also 16L for the new one, vs. 12L for the S.
                  - John

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Dr. M. L. King
                  www.BuildTheDream.org

Comment

CRAP!! Figures the shieldeds go on sale right after I have collected all mine.....
                    Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by evilskillit View Post
                      good thing that no one would be putting these large unshielded magnets near home theater components with hard drives and things that can be even more sensitive to magnetic fields than the few CRT's still around... not sure i'd agree with the rationale for a decision to retire these just yet.
                      TM (RS125/TB25-302), TM RS150S / Vifa BC25SC06, RS150-4 / Vifa ML-TL, 3CR-AL Ultra Budget: Electric Blue TM, TMM, MTM, Dragonflies , Mounties: Mini HT Satellite,sub for minions

Comment

Originally posted by patrickm View Post
                        good thing that no one would be putting these large unshielded magnets near home theater components with hard drives and things that can be even more sensitive to magnetic fields than the few CRT's still around... not sure i'd agree with the rationale for a decision to retire these just yet.
                        Yeah, that would NEVER happen!

FWIW I have my unshielded towers within 3 feet of my music PC. The PC just runs windows and foobar2000 all the music is on the hard drive of another PC in another room, its been this way for a year or two, I'll let you know when the magnetic field from 4x seven inch woofers and two tweeters hoses my hard drive. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
                          CRAP!! Figures the shieldeds go on sale right after I have collected all mine.....
                          I'm in the same position as you. Been just over 3 weeks. Not happy! 48% off???!!!

Comment

If those were 10"+ or such woofers, your HD might have a different opinion about it.

That said- I have RSS210HF-4's about 1.5' away from my CRT, and there is no ill effects. At your distance, it would probably never become a factor.

Later,
                            Wolf
                            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                            https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

i had a feeling this might be coming when i saw the rs28as-4 go on sale a month or two ago. i'm in the same boat. picked up rs150's at the tent sale in july, anticipating my cjd mtm build. just now doing the build, so i easily could have waited on the drivers and saved a good deal of money. oh well. now the question is: how many drivers that one has no plans for does one buy just because they're a good deal? answer: probably too many. someone needs to take my credit card away...

lotta good designs are gonna need to be tweaked now, if they're gonna stay current .

Comment

Working...
                              X