Projects for under 800$?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projects for under 800$?

Im looking to build myself some speakers, purely for music, no movies. I have been eying the MillenniumIII here in the projects showcase.

http://www.parts-express.com/project...=MillenniumIII

they are something like $816, so right on, but there is not a lot of literature on them, just what is written in the showcase, which, is describing speakers that i see as very good ones.

What im looking for is speakers that will fill the room with Very detailed lifelike music that will simply do what other everyday speakers cant. I want to listen to music i have been listening to for years and hear things i never noticed before.

Do any of you DIYers know of a project that i could check out?

Re: Projects for under 800$?

$800 will get you lots of options.

What is it in a speaker you want?
    size of your room
    tower or bookshelf
    type of music

Give us some more info...and we should be able to help you out.
    Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

For sure a tower speaker, I listen to alot of acoustic music, some rock and Folk/Folk rock/folk punk. Most of it is pretty well recorded. Im not too familiar with how the different types of speakers will affect the sound (tower vs bookshelf, dipole, other) because im pretty new. If you have any links you might share with me it would be appreciated.

Also i was hoping for something around or Under 800.

Comment

Originally posted by Patches9412 View Post
        For sure a tower speaker, I listen to alot of acoustic music, some rock and Folk/Folk rock/folk punk. Most of it is pretty well recorded. Im not too familiar with how the different types of speakers will affect the sound (tower vs bookshelf, dipole, other) because im pretty new. If you have any links you might share with me it would be appreciated.

Also i was hoping for something around or Under 800.
        Let us know the size of the room you're putting them in. If it's a small room, it wouldn't be ideal to build a large set of towers like Curt C's Statements, which are highly regarded.

Comment

As Wolf said, $800 is a plethora of ideas. Define some things and we can narrow the list. On a careful endeavor you could build the Khanspires or Statements for a bit over $800....
          Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Lots of projects that would suit your taste over at HTGuide...
            http://www.htguide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php4?f=39

Personally, I'd take a pass on that Millennium III, and go for a project by a more experienced designer.
            Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
            Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
              Personally, I'd take a pass on that Millennium III, and go for a project by a more experienced designer.
              Your results may vary.

Comment

:/

Comment

Originally posted by kmibb View Post
                  :/
                  MattP designed the Millenium III.
                  Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Personally I don't take any personal slight to any of this, but I can't understand why someone would say that about someone who has designed 46 speakers over 10 years, works every single day in the industry, and has probably helped over 45,000 people with speaker choices (figuring for 50 calls/day for 3 years). He may be the most experienced speaker designer/builder I know... and he's only 25!

I'm not trying to criticize, only it's that some people know/do a lot more than post. ;)

Would you believe I've been actively involved in audio for almost 20 years now?

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                      Personally I don't take any personal slight to any of this, but I can't understand why someone would say that about someone who has designed 46 speakers over 10 years, works every single day in the industry, and has probably helped over 45,000 people with speaker choices (figuring for 50 calls/day for 3 years). He may be the most experienced speaker designer/builder I know...
                      He probably didn't know that. I certainly didn't. I was kind of thinking the same thing as Paul since I didn't realise MattP and that guy were the same person. And maybe it comes from only having been here for 2 years or maybe its his changing avatar, but for whatever reason I hadn't really thought of him as a prominent designer in the community.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                        Personally I don't take any personal slight to any of this, but I can't understand why someone would say that about someone who has designed 46 speakers over 10 years, works every single day in the industry, and has probably helped over 45,000 people with speaker choices (figuring for 50 calls/day for 3 years). He may be the most experienced speaker designer/builder I know... and he's only 25!

I'm not trying to criticize, only it's that some people know/do a lot more than post. ;)

Would you believe I've been actively involved in audio for almost 20 years now?
                        OK, OK. Sorry, guys! Guess I really put my foot in my mouth on that one.

I honestly didn't know Matt was still active in the community, but apparently he's very active, indeed. My bad.

So Matt, what would your advice be to Mr. Patches? Should he do the Millennium, or are there any other projects he could consider?
                        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

The room is 12 by 14with 8ft ceiling. its not crampped but its not huge.

Also, i was checking out some smaller speaker designs and came across http://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/diy-trs-80 he describes thease speakers as some of the most detailed he has made, I love detail, they are also smaller than them MTMWW. Might work really well in my space.

also, im sure everyone has heard of those mini statements. http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/MiniStatements_3.html how about them?
                          Last edited by Patches9412; 10-11-2010, 11:44 PM.

Comment

OK, OK. Sorry, guys! Guess I really put my foot in my mouth on that one.

I honestly didn't know Matt was still active in the community, but apparently he's very active, indeed. My bad.

So Matt, what would your advice be to Mr. Patches? Should he do the Millennium, or are there any other projects he could consider?
                            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                              MattP designed the Millenium III.
                              I'm aware. That was my awkward face.

Comment

Working...
                              X