2" Driver Line Arrays - How to Angle Parallel Drivers?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duanebro
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Oct 2010

Re: 2" Driver Line Arrays - How to Angle Parallel Drivers?

Originally posted by mikec
    Question from a novice -- since there's a limit on how close together you can put drivers, and if you get them too far apart there's other problems, is there a "not too close or too far" distance where you minimize the problems??
    Closer the better. This is why they are using smaller drivers...

Comment

• mikec
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by axes4less
      Thanks Bill.
      Probably will require some pretty fancy router work to shave a 15 degree incline every-other driver space :D ...wondering how much improvement in the off axis I could expect to achieve .

Any better or add'l ideas out there?
      If I were attacking the problem I'd go to my drill press and tilt the table to 15 degrees. Use a hole saw to cut the holes and Forstner bit to drill out the flange relief.

I'd also probably use a fly-cutter instead of the Forstner bits, but that's a bit hairy for folks who haven't used them before.

Comment

• NickJ
        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by billfitzmaurice
        Concave. It minimizes CTC distance for minimal combing.
        I may be about to be schooled, but this seems wrong to me. Geometrically, as long as the acoustic center is actually centered on the XY planes and the depth of the cone remains a constant, the distance that sound has to travel forward to meet its "sister" signal should also be constant despite changes in the relative z-angle as it will be a function of cone radius and depth. You should be able to test this practically by putting the two drivers on a hinge and holding a piece of string on the dust cap of each driver. There should be minimal difference in tautness as long as the drivers only change angle on not distance. In addition, in the concave version (where the drivers are crossing over), the more energetic area of the sound waves will be interacting, and thus I would think more potential for larger gating effects. On the other hand, at a "tangent" the less energetic parts of the sound waves would be interacting due to poorer dispersion characteristics for larger cones, no?

Ok, educate away.

Comment

Working...