DIY Iowa 2010 Honorable Mentions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Iowa 2010 Honorable Mentions

Although it was not a contest this year (that's a good thing), I made sheets of paper for people to fill out during the day for "Honorable Mentions." Here are the results.

If you were there during the day, and did not cast your vote, but would like to now, just email me at [email protected]

Attached Files
    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
    Twitter: @undefinition1

Re: DIY Iowa 2010 Honorable Mentions

Attached Files

Comment

:(last again.
      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        :(last again.
        The "Worst WAF" nomination is a badge of honor, Arlis. Wear it with pride.
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

I guess my final wax rubbing during the drive up paid off
          Vapor Audio

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleTap View Post
            I guess my final wax rubbing during the drive up paid off
            Made the miles go by quickly. Next time, lets leave the windows up!!! :D

I'm honored to have something that others wouldn't mind having themselves.

Props to Ed Rosenquist (D,Rose) for the awesome cabinets, and to Ryan Scott (DoubleTap) for some great advice during the final voicing.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

The last two are the ones I really want to know and think give the best heads up for possible builders. Thanks Paul, I like the way you think.
              Brad
              piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

Comment

Heh, I got a "Worse WAF" I'm not sure if thats just because my speakers were naked and unashamed or because they were so big, but thanks whoever voted for me ;). Its good to be mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                  The "Worst WAF" nomination is a badge of honor, Arlis. Wear it with pride.
                  Yes, absolutely.

Unless they were speakers you built for your wife. :D

Comment

So did I , but I suppose with multiple boxes for xovers and such, they would've been bad for wives in general.

However- my wife likes them! Said she didn't like them at first, but now that she's lived with the look for a bit, they are appealing to her.

Shoot- If they weren't that appealing, maybe Pete and Karen should paint his mom's pair a different color.... :rolleyes:

And I got so many compliments and questions on the finish I thought they were better liked.

Oh well- to each his own.
                    Later,
                    Wolf

"Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                      So did I , but I suppose with multiple boxes for xovers and such, they would've been bad for wives in general.

However- my wife likes them! Said she didn't like them at first, but now that she's lived with the look for a bit, they are appealing to her.

Shoot- If they weren't that appealing, maybe Pete and Karen should paint his mom's pair a different color.... :rolleyes:

And I got so many compliments and questions on the finish I thought they were better liked.

Later,
                      Wolf

Hey Wolf

My wife, Debbie, really liked the way your Attitudes looked, and I really liked the way they sounded. Was your cost including the fancy switchbox and all the redundant caps (and cables), or could they be built for considerably less? I think you said that the mid is NLA, but do you have a write-up on them? That vent must be wrapped up inside like a pretzel to tune a box that smaal, that low.

Chris

ps - good meeting you, btw (that goes for all the "characters" we met over the weekend - VERY enjoyable, and thanks Doug)

Comment

I would imagine if you got a Worst WAF nomination it was probably due to the fact that while your design looked good the colors were polarizing and wouldn't work with all decors. Also there was a giant red cable running all over the place between two blue/gray boxes. I thought the whole thing looked pretty slick but in a typical beige home maker living room I could see some lady saying "Its me or those things." Heh.

Comment

Later,
                          Wolf
                          Aw geez, Ben. Don't take it so bad. It's not like there were wives voting. We (us dudes) like the finish. Like Johnny said, it's a badge of honor. Let's face it, for most of us this hobby is the equivalent of parking a hot rod in the living room. :D

Comment

Later,
                            Wolf

"How I wish, How I wish I was there, I am just stuck on the east coast... Year after year... Running around in the same ol' sounds, which I found a way to get outta here, which I was there... "

No doubt they sounded great, Someday... I just want to mention how flat out impressed I am with the crossover work.

I am not a huge fan on their finish, but my wife said "they are certinly not the worst looking out there. She also said the x-overs can be hidden, so there was no worry there. Sorry, you are just going to have to live with well acccepted, great performing speakers. :rolleyes:

Comment

Does highest score indicate Worst-est SAF, or lowest score???
                              Dan was the hands down winner here, but I'm not sure at what....

cheers,

AJ

Comment

Working...
                              X