A TB 'big-dog' has arrived....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A TB 'big-dog' has arrived....

A little le$$(!) than I wa$ thinking they would $ell for but $till...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...TOKEN=51106626

Drool!!
    Wolf

PS- the Xmax spec I believe is questionable....unless it's truly 'even-hung'.
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Re: A TB 'big-dog' has arrived....

Gotta be a non-zero number of some sort, no matter how it's hung... :eek: Uh, lets not go there...

I especially like that "FOR BETTER HUMAN BEING VOICE, IT'S AVAILABLE FOR LOW X-OVER DESIGN". (from datasheet)

Sounds like an entry in a Singles site... :rolleyes:

Comment

No- it CAN be "0", if the coil and gap are the same length. That's even-hung.

But- you are correct that it sounds like a singles-posting...
      Later, heh,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I wonder if that wiggle in the impedance is a nasty FR dip/distortion spike like it's 4" brother has.
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Oh darn, like I need another project. Lotsa $$ for not having any third party measurements yet. TB has not been extremely accurate on their spec sheets.

If PE would just resume measurements, new drivers might move faster.

BTW, Solen is stating 5mm Xmax in their tables.

Comment

TB lists a 6mm gap.
            R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
            Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
            "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

yeah, those look sweet
              www.ebaudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by erikb View Post
                yeah, those look sweet
                ...except for the hiccup in the impedance around 1.5k Hz...

I would not drop $130 on one of these just yet, but that's just me.
                Charlie's Audio Pages: http://audio.claub.net

Comment

I wonder what the meat in the aluminum honecomb sandwich is?
                  Vapor Audio

Comment

Originally posted by charlielaub View Post
                    ...except for the hiccup in the impedance around 1.5k Hz...

I would not drop $130 on one of these just yet, but that's just me.
                    On the 4" version tested by Zaph, it has a big dip and a huge distortion spike - and I bet this one does as well.

Comment

I had a pair of the smaller 4" W4-1757SB and they were pretty nice. They would suit a full range project pretty well. Sensitivity was very good, off axis response was pretty good and they were pleasant sounding overall. Im not a huge fan of the look with the attached grill, and they arent cheap either, but they definitely would make a solid mid in a 3-way design.

The W6 version looks interesting as well. Pretty pricey though. The TB fr charts look a bit optimistic for the upper end response, but if can stay composed it could make an interesting full range option.

For the price though, theres alot of options out there. Some killer 2-ways can be built for the price of these. Heck, I'd rather try the W8 neo full ranger but alas...that one is quite pricey too.

Anyone planning on picking up a set of these? BTW- I have emailed TB on several occasions and they gladly respond back with additional charts on their drivers if requested including off-axis response and HD measurements. Its at least a bit more info to have on them...

Comment

Unfortunately I have to agree - the motor is brilliant, but that flat cone seems to cause trouble. 1.5-2Khz is a bad place to put a big old distortion spike. SCREEECH

It does, however, just beg to be modded somehow .. perhaps cone damping or coating? If you could cut the resonance even 6 dB, you'd be a lot better off.
                        I am trolling you.

Comment

Keeping with the new TB products theme...check out their page with the new products http://www.tb-speaker.com/tbn.htm

Specifically, I find the new bamboo paper full range line (including a W6 version) very interesting...especially that W3-1878. Neo motor, 4.2mm xmax, good looking FR. Curious though that they only have a 12W/25W power rating with an 88db and 4.2mm xmax Thats about what the W3-1364 bamboo cone model has, except it has like 0.5mm xmax...

Its no secret, Im a fan of their bamboo paper cone. Both the current W3-1364 and W4-1320 make terrific midranges. I personally prefer their sound over the W4-1337, although I may be in the minority there...

Comment

Originally posted by captainobvious99 View Post
                            KNeo motor, 4.2mm xmax, good looking FR. Curious though that they only have a 12W/25W power rating with an 88db and 4.2mm xmax Thats about what the W3-1364 bamboo cone model has, except it has like 0.5mm xmax...
                            Probably because they both do have similar power rating, from a thermal standpoint.

Manufacturers cannot know what alignment their consumers are going to use, so they rarely post mechanical power handling since it can change dramatically with a chosen alignment. So they post thermal or magical or anything, because if they didn't, they would be inundated with questions.

Comment

Could someone give me a quick insight?

... on why this is a good driver? I saw the great FR and there is a small hiccup on the impedance. It looks really cool and reminds me of Accutons.

I've read Ray and Vance's book so I have a basic understanding of what each parameter is but I don't have a strong sense of telling this is a good one or excellent one or bad one by telling the parameters.

What is the combination on the datasheet that surprises or enlightens you on this driver?

Any advises are helpful. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X