X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf
    replied
    Re: A TB 'big-dog' has arrived....

The larger you get, the lower the 'blemish' comes into play. These all have that resonance issue I've mentioned before.
    The 1805 has the least Xmax and I would not use it myself for that reason alone. The 1757 sounded great in the 'Mavericks' CurtC designed.
    I used a quad of W4-1798S in my 'Glucinium Amor' MTM's. Very clean, articulate, and wonderful.

The front half of the frame on the 1757/1805 is aluminum, the 1798 only has a ring of aluminum screwed to the polymer frame.

What else you wanna know?
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• critofur
    replied

Any idea how the 1850 and/or the 1798 compare to the 1757?

1757: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-881
    1850: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-890
    1798: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=264-889

Leave a comment:

• captainobvious99
    replied

Got a little info from TangBand... Here are Off-axis and HD plots for :

W6-1916
    W6-1914S
    W3-1878

I got the others because they looked interesting and I love those bamboo cones. Unusual phase plug too.

Here ya go...

W6-1916

W6-1914S

W3-1878

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

I may be finding out that info soon...
    ...but not with the 'big dogs'.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• MagicO309d
    replied

Could such flat face drivers help reduce the typical MTM cavity effect frequency response wiggle? If so, maybe they'd be useful that way for WMTM designs.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

FWIW, guys, I have measured impedances on the W3-1797, W4-1805, and W4-1798. All of them but the W3 have a spike in the 1-2k Range. The W3 is higher, and would still be viable as a mid.

I'm betting the TB Zplot does not show the resonance, as the drivers I tested did not have the resonance on the impedance plot from TB that I got. It was in a higher magnitude than spec.

I heard the Mavericks, with the newer revision of the 1757 driver last year at Iowa. Curt did not treat the blemish, because off-axis it wasn't even there. AND- it was not audible to me.

Listening to tones on them, or even just music, you can see that it will need comped on-axis. However, the distortion might not be bad enough that you have to suppress it into oblivion. Maybe just a bit below nominal level, and you'll be fine. It's not sounding like a dip at all on the ones I measured. It sounds like an outstanding peak.

Since zaph's plot shows it as a strong magnitude in a single location, I can't see why this is not easily resolved. And the peak for the 6.5" might not even be on the plot to know where its location is.

As to the diaphragm- it looks like a flat honeycomb circle with aluminum-foil bonded on both sides. Really light, and really stiff.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• maynardg
    replied
    Re: Could someone give me a quick insight?

Originally posted by parodielin View Post
    I headed over Zaph's and it's Tangband W4-1757S. Just in case anyone doesn't know yet...
    Used in Curt C's original Mavericks I believe. Replace by SB version.

Leave a comment:

• parodielin
    replied

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    No, it is not in the statements.
    I headed over Zaph's and it's Tangband W4-1757S. Just in case anyone doesn't know yet...

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Is the 4" midrange the one in the Statements? or another sandwich cone?
    No, it is not in the statements.

Leave a comment:

• parodielin
    replied

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    It is hoped that the harmonic distortion is similar to the 4" midrange tested by Zaph. They share a motor design and over-all construction, but the 4" has a really nasty peak in the distortion in a range very sensitive to our ears and it is assumed to be related to cone geometry.
    Is the 4" midrange the one in the Statements? or another sandwich cone?

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

... on why this is a good driver? I saw the great FR and there is a small hiccup on the impedance. It looks really cool and reminds me of Accutons.

I've read Ray and Vance's book so I have a basic understanding of what each parameter is but I don't have a strong sense of telling this is a good one or excellent one or bad one by telling the parameters.

What is the combination on the datasheet that surprises or enlightens you on this driver?

Any advises are helpful. ;)
    It is hoped that the harmonic distortion is similar to the 4" midrange tested by Zaph. They share a motor design and over-all construction, but the 4" has a really nasty peak in the distortion in a range very sensitive to our ears and it is assumed to be related to cone geometry.

Leave a comment:

• parodielin
    replied
    Could someone give me a quick insight?

... on why this is a good driver? I saw the great FR and there is a small hiccup on the impedance. It looks really cool and reminds me of Accutons.

I've read Ray and Vance's book so I have a basic understanding of what each parameter is but I don't have a strong sense of telling this is a good one or excellent one or bad one by telling the parameters.

What is the combination on the datasheet that surprises or enlightens you on this driver?

Any advises are helpful. ;)

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Originally posted by captainobvious99 View Post
    KNeo motor, 4.2mm xmax, good looking FR. Curious though that they only have a 12W/25W power rating with an 88db and 4.2mm xmax Thats about what the W3-1364 bamboo cone model has, except it has like 0.5mm xmax...
    Probably because they both do have similar power rating, from a thermal standpoint.

Manufacturers cannot know what alignment their consumers are going to use, so they rarely post mechanical power handling since it can change dramatically with a chosen alignment. So they post thermal or magical or anything, because if they didn't, they would be inundated with questions.

Leave a comment:

• captainobvious99
    replied

Keeping with the new TB products theme...check out their page with the new products http://www.tb-speaker.com/tbn.htm

Specifically, I find the new bamboo paper full range line (including a W6 version) very interesting...especially that W3-1878. Neo motor, 4.2mm xmax, good looking FR. Curious though that they only have a 12W/25W power rating with an 88db and 4.2mm xmax Thats about what the W3-1364 bamboo cone model has, except it has like 0.5mm xmax...

Its no secret, Im a fan of their bamboo paper cone. Both the current W3-1364 and W4-1320 make terrific midranges. I personally prefer their sound over the W4-1337, although I may be in the minority there...

Leave a comment:

• MSaturn
    replied

Unfortunately I have to agree - the motor is brilliant, but that flat cone seems to cause trouble. 1.5-2Khz is a bad place to put a big old distortion spike. SCREEECH

It does, however, just beg to be modded somehow .. perhaps cone damping or coating? If you could cut the resonance even 6 dB, you'd be a lot better off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X