Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkwitz explains

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/What_is_n...inkwitzlab.htm
    "It suggests that there is something that is happening in the real system that is not quite captured in the models."

Re: Linkwitz explains

Oh no, not again

Originally posted by Deward Hastings View Post
    (for the Orion, specifically), and why some high frequency rolloff is necessary for natural sounding stereo reproduction (for the Orion, specifically).
    FIFY.

Of course, the Orion has anything but a smooth, linearly decreasing off axis (flares at/above 1/3 WL of both pistons), so it is a poor example for a generalization. The Pluto OTOH, does have a smooth, linearly decreasing off axis. The same universal HF shelving filter for it, is where???

I don't believe this is the "last word" on the subject (and I doubt that SL does either . . .) . . . but it's a start . . .
    Not if you have a say.:rolleyes::p

Comment

Originally posted by ajinfla View Post
      Being deaf, and there being no transcript of the presentation, I'm having a hard time understanding what Linkwitz is saying . . .
      I can see how that disability would pose a problem, AJ, both for this lecture and pursuing an audio hobby in general. More power to you for trying . . .

If a transcript becomes available I'll send you a link . . .
      "It suggests that there is something that is happening in the real system that is not quite captured in the models."

Comment

PLUTO

A person would have to be stone deaf not to hear the excessive brightness of these "flat" speakers above. Then maybe hypocritically spin why they bought them but could not hear this brightness. Until now.
        Agreed.

cheers,

AJ

Comment

Originally posted by ajinfla View Post
          While some people do regard my inability to hear as a "handicap", I find that charts and cartoons are sufficient to let me know what speakers actually "sound" like. And it's vastly more convenient than actually listening to them . . .
          Well . . . perhaps . . . but it doesn't seem to have helped you understand what Linkwitz said. And you may still be missing some subtle . . . details . . . of what speakers really sound like.

Just sayin . . .

I can't help you with that, of course, but I will still send a transcript (of the presentation) if one appears . . .

Comment

Live action
            Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Well . . . perhaps . . . but it doesn't seem to have helped you understand what Linkwitz said. And you may still be missing some subtle . . . details . . . of what speakers really sound like.

Just sayin . . .

I can't help you with that, of course, but I will still send a transcript (of the presentation) if one appears . . .
              You know, it's fairly obvious that what AJ posted concerning the actual measured responses of the Orion and Pluto, is in stark contrast to the words you posted to open this thread.

Being that the case is now laid out before us, I submit that it is your opening assertions that need refinement, not AJs display of actual data concerning the systems that SL produced himself.
              R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
              Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
              "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I submit
                Submit all you want (though it's really not necessary) . . . but do listen to what Linkwitz said . . .

Comment

I disagree with Linkwitz, making me a dimwit, or perhaps brilliant?

Who knows! But I think rolled off speakers sound very poor, even if god himself farted them out of his own bum.

I have my explanations as well, all have to do with actual sounds and their existence in the real world, and why a 5KHz cymbal crash sounds nothing like a 5KHz piccilo note, but I will save the flames and end it at that. :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
                    I disagree with Linkwitz
                    Well at least you listened to the presentation, and have some answer to his theories about HRTF and phantom image formation . . . which puts you ahead of AJ and Pete, right?

Right ? ? ?

Comment

Well at least you listened to the presentation, and have some answer to his theories about HRTF and phantom image formation . . . which puts you ahead of AJ and Pete, right?

Right ? ? ?
                      Pete's Cool... But AJ, Man, I hope so. ;)

And to keep it OnT, the acoustical enegery at HF is weak at best. In theory, it needs to actully be slight elevated above 12K or so just to get to your ears with any authority, regardless of beaming, etc.

Comment

I consider modern mastering very bright. A "flat" speaker comes through extremely sibilant on produced music, so I agree.

On the other hand I believe for live sound, an extra bit of brightness for FOH speakers is welcomed (as long as they still have a strong mid range). Raw instrument sources do not have anywhere near the presence of a final mastered album and have extra bass from proximity effect (as everything is generally close miked). Of course EQ comes in to play but not typically anywhere near the level of mixing/mastering in a studio.

Comment

Originally posted by killersoundz View Post
                          I consider modern mastering very bright. A "flat" speaker comes through extremely sibilant on produced music, so I agree.
                          You are correct, but that's not what Linkwitz is talking about. He is addressing an interesting consequence of attempting to produce a full left-to-right (phantom) acoustic image from two loudspeakers . . .

It's worth a listen . . . he covers a lot of ground.

Comment

You are correct, but that's not what Linkwitz is talking about. He is addressing an interesting consequence of attempting to produce a full left-to-right (phantom) acoustic image from two loudspeakers . . .

It's worth a listen . . . he covers a lot of ground.
                            Lol, glad you could tell I didn't listen to it. I didn't, I posted pre-maturely. I don't have a free hour and a half tonight. I'll give it a listen through later on.

Comment

I just listened to the presentation in ZilchLab. It sounded good over EconoWaves. ;)

I agree with many of the concepts expressed, however it doesn't yet appear he gets that he is taliking about power response, and I have serious doubts that any one curve may be prescribed as "optimum."

We are once again on the same page with respect to the importance of controlled directivity, but he contradicts himself when stating that the ideal source is omni, and like a bare light bulb, should illuminate the entire room.

I also note that he is now prescribing a diffuse front wall to mitigate direct reflections from that direction, and they do not appear in his ray diagram slide. That may have been the case all along, and I am only just now recognizing it, tho.

[Be good if we had Orion polars from SL.... :rolleyes: ]

Comment

Working...
                              X