Wanna build a little full range, advice on components

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna build a little full range, advice on components

Well I'm mostly in the pro audio field and I don't mess with home theater stuff but since I've been on here I feel itchy to do something. Want to start off real light weight here with a little powered full range speaker set.

Here are some of the drivers I scoped out for this (haven't plugged any of these into bass box pro yet by the way):

Dayton RS100-8 4" Reference Full-Range Driver
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...number=295-352

Seems ok, great price, only worry is the FR goes up 6dB at 16khz, ewww. And you can bet that's a laser beam.

Tang Band W4-1052SD 4" Driver 4 Ohm
    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...28&ctab=2#Tabs

Not as sexy as the Dayton (which counts), has a rising freq. response, but it is a tang band.

I think those are my choices as of now, unless someone wants to talk me into something else (and probably smaller). I do realize the smaller full range drivers will typically sound better overall but I do want a little bass. Although that is at the cost of distorted midrange at any respectable volume. Overall I just wanna build a little pair of speakers.

For an amp I was hoping to get by with this:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=320-304

Even though it's only rated at 25 watts at 4 ohms, 10% THD (lol).

Whats up with the friggin' power supplies on these things? They recommend this one:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=320-314

Cost more than the amp board itself! You have to be able to get away with a cheaper power supply, no?

Re: Wanna build a little full range, advice on components

Alright I might spend a little more dough and add these to the running:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...number=264-898

Look like winners.

Edit, Ok, well if I'm going to spend that much I might as well go for the 6.5" Daytons,

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-344

The freq. response looks rubbish on axis, but atleast I could resell the speakers on craigslist because they would be extra sexy, and these two are the same price (for me). What would you pick?

Comment

Alot of people start out with the Hivi B3 speakers. It'd probably be easiest to pick one of the Projects.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
        Alot of people start out with the Hivi B3 speakers. It'd probably be easiest to pick one of the Projects.
        Thanks, but I don't wanna be like everyone else :(

Comment

I have an Alesis power amp for sale for not too much cash, and various vintage gear (including some very inexpensive cosmetically impaired vintage gear I haven't listed yet.)

I'm personally not a fan of full-range drivers in general - the small ones aren't capable of sufficient output, and the big ones give me a headache. That said, unless you build some horns, you're not likely to be getting much bass out of any of these - excursion is poor on pretty much all of these drivers, and the maximum output of some of them is below 100dB due to low power handling or poor efficiency.

The FR88/FR89 seems to be the bargain king at the moment - the price is very reasonable, and distortion is lower than most. Pair 'em with a small sub (did I mention I have parts for one of those, too?,) and you should have some rather nice little speakers

Comment

Originally posted by spasticteapot View Post
            I'm personally not a fan of full-range drivers in general - the small ones aren't capable of sufficient output, and the big ones give me a headache. That said, unless you build some horns, you're not likely to be getting much bass out of any of these - excursion is poor on pretty much all of these drivers, and the maximum output of some of them is below 100dB due to low power handling or poor efficiency.
            I totally agree with you and know where you're coming from. I guess I could just build some little cheapo 2-ways and crossovers....hmmmm let me look.

Comment

I have to say these 5.25" look really nice for a single driver. If you were going to try to make a good full range this would be a good start.
              I like the looks of the new 6 1/2" and 8 " full range drivers. But the price is just too much for me to pony up for a my first real full range project too.
              Thanks ,
              JB

Comment

For your enclosure considerations, The Frugel Horn:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...ta-builds.html
                Mongo only pawn in game of life
                ____
                Ed

Comment

Aurasound NS3 on sale at madisound for $12.50 each on their specials page, here.

Wolf has a design with them in a 4" internal cube. XO is just a 500mfd capacitor wired in series with the driver.
                  Read Wolf's build description in my recent thread, here.

Comment

I have a pair of the Mark Audio CHR70 (v1) and love listening to them. The current (v2) model doesn't have the peak at 12kHz. I built a dual-chamber reflex (DCR) enclosure for them. F3~50Hz with better power handling. These can get surprisingly loud. There are several different possible enclosures for these drivers. If you prefer paper, check out the CCS EL-70.

Check out Jed's F4 over on HTGuide to see how to deal with the cone break-up of the RS100.

If I were to do another full range, I'd be inclined to try the Fountek FR-88/89. It looks like a good inexpensive driver.
                    - John

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." - Dr. M. L. King
                    www.BuildTheDream.org

Comment

I second the recommendation of Mark Audio drivers, in particular the Alpair 7 or 10. They have a large Xmax (like the more expensive Jordan JX92S driver) and the spec sheets seem to be dead accurate based on my measuremetns of three different models (Alpair 10, 6, and CHR-70).

I have a pair of the Fountek FR88 drivers in an OB over a pair of Eminence Alpha 15A woofers and have been underwhelmed. They do nothing really wrong but they just don't seem to have much life, not a very dynamic presentation. A pair of Fostex FF85K drivers in the same set up blow them away.

If you chose a single full range driver in a small cabinet, don't forget to address the baffle step. Without a BSC filter they will sound very lean in the bass output.
                      Martin

Quarter Wavelength Loudspeaker Design
                      www.quarter-wave.com

Comment

Whats a BSC filter look like? It can't be a first order low pass, that would be too steep...

Comment

If you go to my site and look under the "General Speaker Related Articles" link there are a series of short write-ups on sizing and building BSC filters.
                          Martin

www.quarter-wave.com

Comment

Cool, so it's just an inductor and a resistor. Does this create a shelf filter? Sucks to think about reducing the sensitivity of the speaker though, but for improved sound quality.

Comment

Originally posted by killersoundz View Post
                              Cool, so it's just an inductor and a resistor. Does this create a shelf filter?
                              Yes.

Sucks to think about reducing the sensitivity of the speaker though, but for improved sound quality.
                              Left alone, for a full range driver the sensitivity of the bass below the baffle step is always less than the sensitivity of the treble above the baffle step. So which sensitivity describes the speaker, the bass or the treble? The BSC filter balances the two by reducing the treble sensitivity to match the bass sensitivity. In multi-way designs the choice of crossover frequency and the relative levels of the bass driver(s) and tweeter can be used to match the sensitivities and avoid/solve the baffle step issue.
                              Martin

www.quarter-wave.com

Comment

Working...
                              X