Assembling Crossovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assembling Crossovers

I've finally got my parts in, but i've got some questions, this being my first time.

1) Here's my schematic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Crossover.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	1176818

Do I parallel the L2 and C4?

And, I didn't realize the 0.1uF caps I got were polar. Can I use these, or do I need to order different ones? If I can use them, do I place the positive on the amplifier or speaker side of the flow?

That's all I can think of for now.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Re: Assembling Crossovers

Wow, I think I'll just do a 5 star sudoku puzzle and go to bed, but you do need non polarized caps.

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
      I've finally got my parts in, but i've got some questions, this being my first time.

1) Here's my schematic:

[ATTACH]11919[/ATTACH]

Do I parallel the L2 and C4?

And, I didn't realize the 0.1uF caps I got were polar. Can I use these, or do I need to order different ones? If I can use them, do I place the positive on the amplifier or speaker side of the flow?

That's all I can think of for now.
      Yes, the cap/coil in parallel apparently are notching out the woofer cone's breakup mode, or ringing, if it's metal. So . . . a "series" crossover. Not very common. "Polarized" (electrolytic) caps are (obviously?) to be used only in DC circuits. Speakers are fed with AC (at various frequencies). You need "non-polar" (sometimes referred to as "bi-polar") caps, like the kind PE sells.

You CAN run these w/out the 0.1uF (notch) caps without wrecking anything (if you're in a hurry), but even though they're tiny, in the right location, they can do mighty things, like knocking some nasty resonances down 20dB or more. You really WILL need the proper caps in place here for the long run.

Chris

Comment

Yes, they're paralleled.

You need two of these: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=027-452
        "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.diy-ny.com/

Comment

Did you mean to not pad your tweeter?

A lot of builders that do a SXO typically wire in a 'central-line' for the rail attachments.

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Hopefully you decide to not use electrolytic capacitors, then you'll never have to worry about polarity. Use film caps, mylar or polypropylene.

Comment

Are you certain your schematic is drawn correctly?

Comment

I'm working on a budget, kinda, and I've sunk $220 into this so far with no return, yet.

I'm just trying to keep the costs down for now. I got the "100v Non-polar caps" and 20ga Jantzen coils.

I can still pad the tweeter, but they're both rated at 89/89.5dB, so I figured I wouldn't need to.

Let it be known that I can still modify the crossover, because I don't plan on putting it together for some time, still.

Any and All suggestions are welcome, this IS my first project, and I want to get it right.

Thanks guys!

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                return to the source
                leviathan system thread
                deadhorse thread
                shockwave build thread

Comment

Originally posted by 50 watt head View Post
                  Are you certain your schematic is drawn correctly?
                  Yes- I assure you it is.
                  Later,
                  Wolf
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                    Yes- I assure you it is.
                    Later,
                    Wolf
                    Hmmm.... it's such an odd-looking circuit (to my eyes, anyway: I've examined very few x-overs).

What is the name of this project? I just want to take a look at the whole thing, out of curiosity

Comment

Hmmm.... it's such an odd-looking circuit (to my eyes, anyway: I've examined very few x-overs).

What is the name of this project? I just want to take a look at the whole thing, out of curiosity
                      You're looking at a series crossover. That's why it looks so unfamiliar. It is not as common as parallel crossovers are, for many good reasons.

The biggest issue with them is that when you need to alter the woofer response, changing one value also affects the tweeter transfer function. But, once you get it "right" it stays right and works just as well as the more common, and easily adjusted, parallel crossover.
                      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

You're looking at a series crossover. That's why it looks so unfamiliar. It is not as common as parallel crossovers are, for many good reasons.
                        Gotcha -- That explains what I was (and what I wasn't) seeing. Thanks!

Comment

Gotcha -- That explains what I was (and what I wasn't) seeing. Thanks!
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?b=124

That should make it crystal!

As to one being better than another- it's a wash. I just prefer to use both. :D
                          Later,
                          Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Slant, I started out the hard way, lol, designing my own crossovers and enclosures. Just search my user name and it's "My first decent build"

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                            return to the source
                            leviathan system thread
                            deadhorse thread
                            shockwave build thread

Comment

Working...
                            X