Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone good at circuit boards ? Resistor hell !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone good at circuit boards ? Resistor hell !

OK ... as if I am not having enough problems today ... I just broke a resistor on a circuit board

I have NO CLUE what I am looking at ... Can anyone identify this broken resistor, and maybe a link to a replacement ( any brand ) ?

This is definitely a Tequila night !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Anyone good at circuit boards ? Resistor hell !

Any chance that resistor can still work looking like that ? LOL

Why me ? :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by BELAMP View Post
      Any chance that resistor can still work looking like that ? LOL

Why me ? :rolleyes:
      It's a diode.

And it looks quite dead.

but not expensive.
      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

It's a diode.

And it looks quite dead.

but not expensive.
        Yep! A very dead but very inexpensive diode.

If you're careful, you won't have to remove the pcb from the chassis to do the repair (I'm assuming you've not already removed it). Just snip the leads of the old diode leaving as much of the old leads as possible sticking out of the top of the pcb. You can wrap the leads of your new diode to the old ones, apply a bit of heat and solder. Won't look pretty, but it will work just fine.

However: the difficult part may be figuring out what replacement part you need. If you can get a schematic or help from manuf. tech support, that would be a big plus. It might be a zener, or a signal rectifier.

What kind of equipment is this?

Comment

Oh hell .... This is an obsolete piece of gear, with absolutely NO schematics.

C'mon someone, please tell me someone can tell me what replacement diode to get for this .... Cause if you can't , I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay screwed !

Comment

Originally posted by BELAMP View Post
            Oh hell .... This is an obsolete piece of gear, with absolutely NO schematics.

C'mon someone, please tell me someone can tell me what replacement diode to get for this .... Cause if you can't , I am waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay screwed !
            If you post what the piece of gear is, that might help get the ball rolling.

Also: if you can discern the numbering on the immediately nearby diodes (in your photo) that might help to narrow your search.

If you want to just dive right in and install a random replacement: you might start with this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062576

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by 50 watt head View Post
              If you post what the piece of gear is, that might help get the ball rolling.

Also: if you can discern the numbering on the immediately nearby diodes (in your photo) that might help to narrow your search.

If you want to just dive right in and install a random replacement: you might start with this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062576

Good luck!
              I can name the amp ... but there is NO WAY anyone will be able to help better by knowing what it is : A BEL 1001 MKV

There is NUMBERS on those things ??? LOL Anyone know the phone number to the Hubble telescope :p

Comment

Chances are, it's identical to the surrounding diodes. Are you comfortable with a soldering iron? If so, my suggestion would be to remove the PCB (sometimes easier said than done), and remove one of the nearby diodes so that you can check the component ID. Let us know what those markings are if you can't figure out the ID. Order up a few replacements - they're cheap, buy a few spares, in case something goes wrong during the replacement process.

Comment

I see the number 448 stamped on the outside of the diodes in photo #1.

That might help narrow it down.

When you reinstall, pay attention to the end of the diode on which the stripe is painted. Match the orientation of the damaged one when you replace it.
                  Bill Schneider
                  -+-+-+-+-
                  www.afterness.com/audio

Comment

Originally posted by williamrschneider View Post
                    I see the number 448 stamped on the outside of the diodes in photo #1.
                    That's what it looks like to me, too. Which leads me to think it's a garden-variety 1N4148 (the RS part I linked to above).

Comment

Originally posted by 50 watt head View Post
                      That's what it looks like to me, too. Which leads me to think it's a garden-variety 1N4148 (the RS part I linked to above).
                      Looks like they're associated with the 555 timer as well, so not critical to the signal path.

The 4148 should be a fine substitute.

By the way, if that's really an old amp, you might want to have someone replace all the older electrolytic caps with something new.
                      R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                      Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                      "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Nice closeup pictures. You used a Panasonic LUMIX. Did you manually select "macro" or did the camera do it automatically?

Comment

Looks like they're associated with the 555 timer as well, so not critical to the signal path.

The 4148 should be a fine substitute.

By the way, if that's really an old amp, you might want to have someone replace all the older electrolytic caps with something new.
                          Christ he's having enough problems without worrying about potential caps going bad which they prob aren't. Let him replace the diode, button it up and don't touch it ever gain.....ever :D

Comment

Nice closeup pictures. You used a Panasonic LUMIX. Did you manually select "macro" or did the camera do it automatically?
                            Woah .... My ignorance shows again ... HOW IN HELL did you know what kind of camera I used ?????????????? Voodoo ? LOL

Yes I did use the top of the line LUMIX, and in a dining room with NO lights on. Automatic mode all the way for me. Funny ... although this point and shoot is crazily adjustable, I have NEVER taken a bad picture with it in regular Auto mode ...

Comment

Originally posted by davidl View Post
                              Christ he's having enough problems without worrying about potential caps going bad which they prob aren't. Let him replace the diode, button it up and don't touch it ever gain.....ever :D
                              LOL ... You sir, have me down pat bud ! LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X