'aftermarket' phase plugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'aftermarket' phase plugs?

Wondering if anyone makes them. I've seen people make them out of wood, but I would like to get some in aluminum.

Re: 'aftermarket' phase plugs?

Google "Planet10" they sell modified Fostex drivers and phase plugs.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Couple weeks ago I was looking for phase plugs (metal) on the net myself and could find nothing. Planet10 as mentioned sells a set as well as Decware.

http://decware.com/newsite/phaseguide.htm

Emailed Decware a couple times about the possibility of buying three which must have been a ridiculous request to them. A question that didn't even warrant a reply. guess they thought I should buy 2 pair. Anyway, started experimenting to make my own.

Did a few out of wood and it is surprising how different shapes and lengths change the sound. Then I realized I have metal phase plug shaped cones sitting under my sub. (Dayton speaker spikes)

Have not listened to them yet as I am finishing the cabs but it should be interesting.

Comment

I had a friend make me up a pair from clear acrylic.

Attached Files

Comment

I had a friend make me up a pair from clear acrylic.
          Hmm... How did he go about making them? Or better yet, could he be my friend too and make me some as well? :D

Comment

Originally posted by vlad335 View Post
            Then I realized I have metal phase plug shaped cones sitting under my sub. (Dayton speaker spikes)
            This actually crossed my mind, but something about the cone shape just doesn't look right. Maybe just because most phase plugs are rounded to a point. After I read your comment, I took a look at some and thought, 'maybe I could grind them in to a rounded shape.' But I'm not sure if they are solid, or how I would go about it. I'm sure it should be shaped specifically for the speaker its going onto, but I'm not going that far into it.

These are the only ones that would seem to work, as they are one piece rather than two. The price is great but they are too small in diameter, and I'm wondering if the fact they are steel would have any effect on the speakers performance, not sure if it makes a difference but they usually seem to be aluminum. If only I could get some aluminum plugs for 50 cents each. :(

Comment

Originally posted by vapor602 View Post
              Hmm... How did he go about making them? Or better yet, could he be my friend too and make me some as well? :D
              He has a (metal) lathe. I gave him a drawing with dimensions and he made a pattern/template to follow.

Comment

Working...
              X