X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• davidB
    replied
    So Chris,
    What did you end up using your 15Ms for?

Leave a comment:

• critofur
    replied
    Well OK then - I was responding as such because the thread is about the "M" model, not the Discovery range in general. I also prefer to "say what I mean and mean what I say", but it seemed like a good idea to clear up any confusion as to which drivers we're talking about. I also got one of the 15W/4434G00 woofers to test but found it didn't work well for my application. That said, I'm a little surprised to hear your evaluation of it considering how "good it looks on paper".

Sometimes it can be surprising how bad a driver can "sound" when it measures amazingly well with the measurement techniques we have available to us. Did you update your build thread after that project (renovating your speaker with the 15W woofer)?

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    I say what I mean, and mean what I say. There are better options in the $65 range for the driver I mentioned. Hell, there are better options in the $30 range. I don't care about the 4624 insofar as I have not used it - which is why I did not express an opinion on it. If I use the 4624, I will express an opinion on it. Like many of my opinions, I am positive fanboys might be butthurt, but that is hardly my problem - like I said, I say what I mean and mean what I say.

Leave a comment:

• critofur
    replied
    Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    Re: Nice curves... - Scan-Speak 15M/4624G

Just wanted to post that I have finished up the Driscoll overhaul using the 4434G00 and XT25. The Discovery driver is nice and all, but there are better options in the $65 price range.

The 4434 is not the same as the 4624! I don't agree that it's correct to say there are "better options" than the 4624 - some are different, and some cost more, but I doubt "better" unless you are saying that in the context of a specific application where another driver suits your particular need. In what way is another (any other) driver "better" than the 4624 ScanSpeak Discovery 15M? Certainly many drivers are "better" if your context is a 2-way speaker - the "M" is not a woofer, it's a Midrange.

(This driver

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScanSpeak Discovery 15M.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1319128

Leave a comment:

• akarma
    replied
    What sound 15M/4624G00 puts out comparing to 15M revelator? Is it much worse?

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Just wanted to post that I have finished up the Driscoll overhaul using the 4434G00 and XT25. The Discovery driver is nice and all, but there are better options in the $65 price range.

Leave a comment:

• Face
    replied

I know, I was just commenting how it's xmax isn't an issue since it's a midrange.

Leave a comment:

• critofur
    replied

Originally posted by Face View Post
    In a small, sealed chamber and crossed LR2 @ 400hz, it will 250 watts without exceeding xmax(114db).
    Heh... your ears will MELT if you subject them to 250 watts at 400 Hz.

Leave a comment:

• Jay1
    replied

Originally posted by Face View Post
    In a small, sealed chamber and crossed LR2 @ 400hz, it will 250 watts without exceeding xmax(114db).
    I dont think that's the application used in JR's Driscoll

Leave a comment:

• Face
    replied

Originally posted by Jay1 View Post
    Johnny, you arent concerned with the extremely limited xmax?

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Originally posted by Jay1 View Post
    Yeah, I guess I would be if those were indeed the drivers I have *smacks forehead*

I have a pair of the 4434G00, much more better useful for what I intend to do.

Leave a comment:

• Jay1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

I have a pair waiting for me at home. Going to re-do my old Driscoll project with them, and a ring radiator Vifa.

Leave a comment:

• Jay1
    replied

I guess this is the only relevant thread for the discovery 5.25" mid....

Name:	ss discovery 15m distortion.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1149175
    24", 5 msec, 1/12th smooth, drive level not checked.

Name:	ss discovery 15m response.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1149178
    24", 15 msec, 1/12th smooth, drive level not checked.

These were in room on my Nova Forte baffle, YMMV.
    Last edited by Jay1; 04-27-2013, 01:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ttan98
    replied

Originally posted by GranteedEV View Post
    Troels Gravesen really looked into foam surrounds here
    I don't understand the point you are trying to make here. I understand you have some experience with constant power directivity can you comment on my Post 72

Leave a comment:

Working...
X