Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp suggestions.

Hey guys,

Back again. I'm looking for 5 or 6 channels total I have $400-$500 to spend I only need bout 100watts per channel. The amps are for home use, music and HT. Has anyone used any of the cheaper Pyle amps from PE?

Thanks

Re: Amp suggestions.

I think the best deal in that range may be this:

http://emotiva.com/upa5.shtm

Comment

Great advice. Listen to this man.

I own the XPA-3 and it's an awesome amp. I called Emotiva and got it even cheaper as it was a return. Prior to this used QSC pro amps but got tired of the fan noise, having to turn them on and off, and using RCA adaptors. The XPA is dead quiet, takes up less space, turns on and off with my system, and appears to have even more power. Most likely due to better input voltage match.

They got some killer prices going on right now as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BassMe View Post
        Hey guys,

Back again. I'm looking for 5 or 6 channels total I have $400-$500 to spend I only need bout 100watts per channel. The amps are for home use, music and HT. Has anyone used any of the cheaper Pyle amps from PE?

Thanks
        As this is mostly a DIY site, would you consider building your own?

http://classdaudio.com/index.php/pro...udio-kits.html

You could start off with the CDA254L and CDA1000 kits for your 6 channels of [email protected] ([email protected]). Then later, add one more module for a total of 8 channels or for an extra [email protected] sub channel.
        R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
        Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
        "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

BTW Pete, how's that amp working out for you? Anything you'd do differently?

I'm seriously considering one of their modules but can't decide on one... CDA254 would probably be lots but I'm eyeing up the SDS258 for the better input-stage and the extra headroom for 4 ohm designs. I have read that the CDA versions can be modified to get nearly the same SQ as the SDS versions but I haven't looked into that yet.

Comment

That emotive amp looks great and would be a great solution but might be a bit hard to Ship to Australia. The amp kits seem fun and yes I am open to diy but might bust my budget a bit.

I only asked here cause I am doing diy speakers and making my own htpc.

Comment

FYI, I'm selling my Classdaudio CDA-224 with a souped up power supply (70kuf vs. stock 20k) and bigger toroid on Audiocircle...

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_M View Post

I'm seriously considering one of their modules but can't decide on one... CDA254 would probably be lots but I'm eyeing up the SDS258 for the better input-stage and the extra headroom for 4 ohm designs. I have read that the CDA versions can be modified to get nearly the same SQ as the SDS versions but I haven't looked into that yet.
                If the modifications involve messing w/ the board I'd be careful. Not really a mod-friendly board.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_M View Post

The main advantage to the SDS is higher input impedance due to a buffer stage. It's more compatible with a wider variety of preamps, especially those with high output impedance, like the Pass.

In my application, I have a relatively low source impedance, so driving the input of the CDA version is a breeze.

I've got both the CDA258 and CDA254 on hand. I'll be sending the 258 back for a gain modification. I want full output with 1VRMS input, or a gain around 45. The default gain is 25, which is pretty standard for a [email protected] amplifier. And if you intend on driving a 4 Ohm speaker, it will deliver the full 500W/ch. They're clean, quiet, and powerful. They run cool, with perhaps 5W consumed when idle, and maybe 25W when delivering full output. 6 channels would fit in a chassis 1/3 or less the size of the admirably constructed, and great value Emotiva.
                  R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                  Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

"Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by BassMe View Post
                    That emotive amp looks great and would be a great solution but might be a bit hard to Ship to Australia.
                    Sorry, didn't realize you were in Australia. Yeah shipping would most likely be completely ridiculous as the Emotiva package I received was HEAVY! :eek:

Comment

BTW. When I was researching the Emotiva's this the post that swayed me into buying an amp without knowing much about it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...7&postcount=43

This guy has a $45,000 system and wished he had known about Emotiva before dropping 9 grand on Anthems!

Comment

Those Class D amps look great. Any idea on a chassis to mount them in?

Comment

Originally posted by vlad335 View Post
                          Those Class D amps look great.
                          Indeed they have glowing reviews. Even converted some tube guys... and you know how those guys can be! :p

I think everyone is just using stand offs - like what you mount a motherboard on. Only you might want something a little taller for some clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by vlad335 View Post
                            Those Class D amps look great. Any idea on a chassis to mount them in?
                            I think they offer a full chassis setup for an upcharge.

I'm using my PC case to mount them, next to the motherboard, and using the PC as the source. 24-bit audio as the platform to handle 16-bit audio is about as sweet as it gets.

Check my signature for the thread to the 500W amp build.

Comment

So Pete those amps are they running off the psu in your computer or a separate power supply? I'd be very interested in doing a setup similar to yours seeing as I will be feeding from my HTPC to the amps. Are you running the outputs from your sound card to the amp inputs or how have you got it arranged? Thank you for your help btw

Comment

Working...
                              X