X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joeybutts
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Oct 2008

MarkK's Rs22528A as surrounds build thread

All panels were cut from 1/2" and laminated together to be approx 1" thick. All panels are laminated, I just need to cut braces and am waiting for Mark to confirm the layout dimensions for the baffle.

uhmmm....These are huge too.
    First though, panels....

And then there were monster bookshelves. The baffle is on top for reference...

Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p
  • joeybutts
    Seasoned Veteran
    • Oct 2008

Re: MarkK's Rs22528A as surrounds build thread

Baffles are cut out and laminated. Need to cut the bracing next.

Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

• joeybutts
      Seasoned Veteran
      • Oct 2008

The bracing is planned, Thursday it will be cut....

Comment

• joeybutts
        Seasoned Veteran
        • Oct 2008

Comment

• FlashJim
          • Nov 2010

Any details on crossovers and dimensions? I'm considering a similar project for my surrounds.

I can't wait to see the finished project!

Comment

• joeybutts
            Seasoned Veteran
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by FlashJim
            Any details on crossovers and dimensions? I'm considering a similar project for my surrounds.

I can't wait to see the finished project!
            This is the site for the design -

The only thing not there are the baffle layout dimensions which are the following -

Originally posted by Mark K
            Hi Joey,

The RS225 is centered on the baffle vertically, and the center of the RS225 is 6" above the bottom edge of the baffle.

The RS28A is offset 3/4" from the vertical centerline (one to the right and one to the left-obvious but lots of folks accidentally forget to mirror one.)

The RS28A center of the tweeter dome is 3" down from the top of the cabinet.

The PE baffle is the standard size for 3/4 cu ft non mtm box.

Hope that all makes sense...

Comment

• joeybutts
              Seasoned Veteran
              • Oct 2008

Bracing done!

Comment

• Paul Carmody
                Seasoned Veteran
                • Nov 2006

That's really cool! I've never seen bracing do that before. I wouldn't even think of trying it without a CNC, myself. But I'm pretty lousy with a jigsaw.
                Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

• Wolf
                  Obsessed & Proud of It
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Paul Carmody
                  That's really cool! I've never seen bracing do that before. I wouldn't even think of trying it without a CNC, myself. But I'm pretty lousy with a jigsaw.
                  You don't need a jigsaw to do that, Paul.
                  You can use a router with an edge-guide, a table saw with a dado blade (or regular blade and a chisel), a hand powersaw with a guide, or lots of other options.
                  You could use a jigsaw, but I wouldn't advise it. The blade will swing out a bit as the length of the blade goes, and you won't get as straight of a cut.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                  "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                  "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                  https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                  http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

• ligs
                    Seasoned Veteran
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by joeybutts
                    This is the site for the design -

The only thing not there are the baffle layout dimensions which are the following -
                    Just thought this may interest you as a reference to a theater surround speaker. This one is from EV TS8-2

Comment

• joeybutts
                      Seasoned Veteran
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Paul Carmody
                      Thanks Paul! Definitely took some time to do, but no CNC required. As Wolf said, this is how I did it.....

Draw it out.
                      Roughly cut out with jigsaw everything but circles, circles cutout with router.
                      Everything cutout with jigsaw then flush trimmed with a straight edge and clamps.
                      Chamfer all cutouts.

That's how I did it. Once I got the hang of it, it's actually really quick and easy.

Now it is time to route the channels for the bracing to be inset.

I wish I had better weather and more time to get things done....

Comment

• joeybutts
                        Seasoned Veteran
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ligs
                        Just thought this may interest you as a reference to a theater surround speaker. This one is from EV TS8-2

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/STA...20EV/TS8-2.pdf
                        Thanks for the read ligs! You certainly don't see materials like that with speaker systems these days!

Comment

• joeybutts
                          Seasoned Veteran
                          • Oct 2008

Pics of one surround bracing channeling done.

Comment

• joeybutts
                            Seasoned Veteran
                            • Oct 2008

Well, finally back up on this horse. Since I'm not having the surgery on my knee because my insurance told me I'm fat, I'm hoping to have these constructed by next weekend.

Comment

• mtmpenn
                              Midrange Member
                              • May 2007

Not sure what your situation is, but if you need the surgery you should talk to your doc. He/she can appeal the insurance company and will often win.

Comment

Working...