Favorite Small Tang Band Drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Small Tang Band Drivers?

OK all you seasoned DIY'ers, with all TB drivers currently 25% off, what are your favorite small TB drivers 5" and smaller? If you have a favorite that goes with an existing design please post links to build threads!

Re: Favorite Small Tang Band Drivers?

Originally posted by superspeeder View Post
    OK all you seasoned DIY'ers, with all TB drivers currently 25% off, what are your favorite small TB drivers 5" and smaller? If you have a favorite that goes with an existing design please post links to build threads!
    W3-315E Xenums
    W2-803SM Mr. East/&roids
    W5-704D Canvas
    W6-789E Flames
    W4-1337 3CR-Ti, and all of the Statement series
    W3-594S essentially the W3-871, which was a stellar driver.
    W3-881 Olives
    W5-1138SG Triumph/Biumph, Shticks
    W4-1757S Mavericks
    W4-1320 Bandits
    W3-1364SA Tesseracts

I'm sure there are others....and some I even have on hand and will be using soon.

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

The best I have used is the W4-1720 4" Underhung Midbass,
      The 5" W5-1685 is also a great driver.
      The 5" & 6.5" neo subs are great too.
      W4-1052SD 4" Neo
      Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
      "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
      Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

Concur with Lou, the W5-1685 is a good deal at $48...not so much at $65. We've used it in the Tun-dar's and the Coppers and we're both happy.

Comment

This was my first build using TB's and was quite surprised at their perfomance. The little 4" TB Bambo along with TB's 5.25 sub made for a nice build! Great for music and surprisingly good for HT, gets down low when it needs to....
          Last edited by jerryanderson; 01-09-2011, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Which are good for single driver configs with the least amount of components? I have a pair W3-879s I put in a vented box I built off a WinISD suggestion. Just the drivers, a box, and a vent. They're on my desk at work and I think they sound great.
            Mike

(Sorry if this sounds like a hijack. Not my intention...)
            "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
            Bismarck, North Dakota
            My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers
            My Garage System TPS3116D2 Amp, DIY PS 95 Speakers, DC 130 Sub

Comment

I'm a big fan of the bamboo coned mids, teh W3-1364SA and the W4-1320SJ.
              Both excellent dedicated midranges. Of course the W4-1337 titanium mid is also a favorite around here too. I just prefer the slightly warmer sound of those bamboo/paper cones. VERY nice.

Comment

Originally posted by mikejennens View Post
                Which are good for single driver configs with the least amount of components? I have a pair W3-879s I put in a vented box I built off a WinISD suggestion. Just the drivers, a box, and a vent. They're on my desk at work and I think they sound great.
                Mike

(Sorry if this sounds like a hijack. Not my intention...)

The W4-1337 titanium coned drivers could be used in a simple full range design. very versatile.

Comment

Mike- the W4-1337 is not easy to get to be pleasant in a full-range app, just see my 3CR-Ti project.

The easiest would be the W3-881, W3-594, W3-517(NLA), W3-1053, and W3-926. All of those can basically be placed in a certain box with a simple notch and maybe a bit of BSC.

If you look at the writeup for the W3-517S1 DCR in my blog, you can probably use that box for most of the 3" TB drivers; or omit the DCR and make the port 1" diameter and the 3/4" thick as before. Al Wooley of the defunct RAW Acoustics recommended this enclosure to me, and said most will work in it of the 3" variety- and that I would be surprised. I was.

Later,
                  Wolf
                  "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Anyone tried the W4-1879 yet? Not much info out there, but looks interesting at the sale price, even if it is quite expensive for a small TB.

Comment

I can say definitively that this is the worst possible time for this to happen to me, because I have zero disposable cash. Nada. Which sucks, because if I had $140 to burn, I'd totally snag a pair of the 4" underhung bamboo cones with the bizarre orange-anodized phase plugs (which I guess was supposed to be cheaper than copper-plating but really looks a whole lot cheaper, but it's not an issue because that driver is just beastly.)

Were it my design decision, I'd have picked a cobalt blue anodize for those phase plugs. Just sayin'.
                      Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                        Mike- the W4-1337 is not easy to get to be pleasant in a full-range app, just see my 3CR-Ti project.

The easiest would be the W3-881, W3-594, W3-517(NLA), W3-1053, and W3-926. All of those can basically be placed in a certain box with a simple notch and maybe a bit of BSC.

If you look at the writeup for the W3-517S1 DCR in my blog, you can probably use that box for most of the 3" TB drivers; or omit the DCR and make the port 1" diameter and the 3/4" thick as before. Al Wooley of the defunct RAW Acoustics recommended this enclosure to me, and said most will work in it of the 3" variety- and that I would be surprised. I was.

Later,
                        Wolf
                        Thanks for the info. The first DIY project I did was your 3CRTi's, which I'm sure you remember because of the number of questions I had.
                        I checked out your W3-517S1 DCR blog, and I think that's what I'm looking for. If I can ask one more question, any particular 3 inch'er better for this type of application than another, or what should a guy look for: low QTS, higher xmax, wider FR?
                        Thanks.
                        Mike
                        "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
                        Bismarck, North Dakota
                        My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers
                        My Garage System TPS3116D2 Amp, DIY PS 95 Speakers, DC 130 Sub

Comment

Originally posted by mikejennens View Post
                          Thanks for the info. The first DIY project I did was your 3CRTi's, which I'm sure you remember because of the number of questions I had.
                          I checked out your W3-517S1 DCR blog, and I think that's what I'm looking for. If I can ask one more question, any particular 3 inch'er better for this type of application than another, or what should a guy look for: low QTS, higher xmax, wider FR?
                          Thanks.
                          Mike
                          The better Qts would be 0.3-0.4 for the vented box, and the larger Xmax is definitely a plus if you can hav that too. Stay away from metal cones if you don't want it more complex. The FR spec is always questioanble, so take those with a grain of salt. I would look for an Fs closer to 100 Hz if possible to work in the cabs I built. You do want a fairly smooth response, and even TB's plots might give you that info.

For protection on the bass end, I would think a set of ~200uF NPE caps would make them stress a lot less. You can always included an SPST switch to bypass them from the circuit.

I do recall you building the 3CR, but it was more of a reference point than anything else.

Later,
                          Wolf

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:

Comment

Oh yea! How did I miss those beacons...they look like they're giant sized Lego pieces.

Originally posted by Taterworks View Post
                            I can say definitively that this is the worst possible time for this to happen to me, because I have zero disposable cash. Nada. Which sucks, because if I had $140 to burn, I'd totally snag a pair of the 4" underhung bamboo cones with the bizarre orange-anodized phase plugs (which I guess was supposed to be cheaper than copper-plating but really looks a whole lot cheaper, but it's not an issue because that driver is just beastly.)

Were it my design decision, I'd have picked a cobalt blue anodize for those phase plugs. Just sayin'.
                            audioheuristics isn't around right now...

Comment

Working...
                            X