want small single driver ideas for 2.1 pc rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• want small single driver ideas for 2.1 pc rig

I know this has been beet to death but I cant find much in the archives. Any how, I 'm looking for a 3-4inch single driver set up that will cost $75 or less preferably including drivers and X-over materials.

I would like them to be crsip and articulate and decent power handling.

I know wolf had some he built, I just cant find his stuff.

thanks

Pete

Re: want small single driver ideas for 2.1 pc rig

I've been wanting to build the Whetstones for a while; I may throw down on them now that my project list is empty. I believe you could run these without the contour filter if you've got equalization on the source (with PC, you do). Later you could add the filter as funds permit.

http://sites.google.com/site/taterworksaudio/whetstones

For $60 in the pair plus cabinet materials, you might as well give it a whirl.
    ~Mark

Stuff I've builded http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...lies/smile.png

Comment

thats type of project I'm looking for....

maybe something with a simpler x-over though...

Comment

Although these neo-nano are two way speakers, you might find them interesting. The $55 price on them was when the speakers were on sale, but they should still be in your price range. I heard them at DIY Iowa 2010 and they were pretty amazing. Great speakers.
        If you need to stay strictly with a full-range, I used a NLA driver, which is very close to this one 264-809 in a ported box. It sounds great for near-field listening, such as on my desk at work. I can send you the measurements of the box if you want.
        And then if you want to do a 1.5 way, check out Brian Powers' design High Efficiency 1.5 way. I built a pair of these and they sound very good on my desk as well.
        Mike
        "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
        Bismarck, North Dakota
        My Current System: HiFiMe DIY T3 Amp, Kenwood Basic C1 Preamp, and Paul Carmody Sunflowers
        My Garage System TPS3116D2 Amp, DIY PS 95 Speakers, DC 130 Sub

Comment

Hey, Pete-
          Look in the sig'...

Dragon Foals
          3CR-Ti
          etc...

Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

The Whetstones may not be the right speaker for a 2.1-channel PC system. I currently use the Whetstones at my PC in a 2.0 configuration driven by the 12wpc NuForce Icon-1, but using them with a subwoofer may sell short their own bass response, which is one of their real strong points. The choice to use a 4" driver in a reflex enclosure that isn't necessarily the most compact size possible was intended to improve their bass response when used by themselves, without a sub. They remain strong to about 60 Hz, which lets them thump along with technical electric bass lines very nicely. The contour filter isn't the most simple one possible, but the goal was the best possible performance from the driver, and the result was an award-winning performance at DIY Dayton 2009.

If the goal is to use the speakers with a subwoofer, then it may make sense to go with a design using a smaller driver, for the sake of maximizing top end extension and detail. While the Whetstones get up there nicely, their tonality is on the warmer side and they get fairly directional. Wolf's Dragon Foals use the M3N, which has an aluminum-magnesium dish cone, and that might be better for treble extension and dispersion, even though that is also a larger enclosure than what you might want. Somewhere on here is a design using the black cone version of the Fountek FR88 in a sealed box, and I think a smaller sealed box would be the best possible match with a sub.
            Best Regards,

Rory Buszka

Taterworks Audio

"The work of the individual still remains the spark which moves mankind ahead, even more than teamwork." - Igor I. Sikorsky

If it works, but you don't know why it works, then you haven't done any engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by Taterworks View Post
              Somewhere on here is a design using the black cone version of the Fountek FR88 in a sealed box, and I think a smaller sealed box would be the best possible match with a sub.
              I don't know if this is the one you're referring to, but I built a pair using the Fountek FR89-8 and Madisounds recommended 1.5 liter ported enclosure. Everyone who has heard them has been impressed and I think you would find them to be crisp and articulate.

Here's a measurement. This was my first measurement and was taken with the speaker on a table in my basement, so take it for what it worth.

Here is a thread at diyaudio for the FR-88. I'd like to try this enclosure sometime:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...ml#post2371641

Comment

Try Wolf's PC(perfectly compact) speaker. It's an AuraNS3 (or Dayton ND90-8) in a 4" internal cube. A 500uF cap is wired in series with the woofer to extend the bass in such a small sealed enclosure.

Comment

Working...
                X