Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turnberg
    replied
    Re: Core 2-Way - Build Tread

After living with these speakers for a while what are your long term thoughts? I'm thinking about doing these as a first build. I've been reading a whole lot on the forums, in books, in designs, and I think these would be a good first build for me.

Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Brewski
    replied

Nice Job on the speakers they look great.

Take it easy
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by MrkCrwly
    Me: Well so far I haven’t attended any DIY events, but some of the forum members that have met him have over 12,000 posts..
    Yes. Yes I have! :D

Friends and Family: Wow, those are absolutely amazing. You really need to thank that nice guy you don’t know that lives somewhere in Illinois and has a website. He is obviously a genius.
    Me: Thank you Mr. Carmody.

Lessons learned:
    1-You can always trust a guy whose parents like Stickley furniture.
    2-Paul can design a great speaker.
    I don't think Paul would state he's a genius, but he def has his own knack for it. I'm glad to call him friend and peer.

Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Hunter12
    replied

How come you changed the tweeter?
    I like the look of the RS Tweets and Paul offered to design it.

Are you getting a full range of sound out them?
    IIRC Paul designed these to hit in the 30's on the low end. I can only hear to 12,000 so the top end is way more than enough.

Do you need a subwoofer for listening to Pat Metheny's/
    Charlie Hayden "Under Missouri Sky"?

Haven't listened to that CD but I have no doubt that it would sound good. These are setup for music only (without a sub) and in my opinion they do not need a sub. Bass Guitar, Kick drums and tympanies sound fantastic on these speakers. Not sure what to call it but, very crisp and clean. i.e. not muddy in the least (if that means anything).

How come you didn't buy the Totem Forrest's for $4000
    Canadian dollars?. Your speakers look a lot more expensive
    than the Forrests

Thank you. It was a tough descision. As much as I love throwing money out the window when driving on the freeway, I also enjoy woodworking.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, it has been helpful
    in getting my thinking more focused.

Leave a comment:

• keith_correa
    replied

As much as I love throwing money out the window when driving on the freeway, I also enjoy woodworking.
    Please let me know which freeway and when you will be driving by when your fingers and wallet feel itchy. I'll be there. :D

Leave a comment:

• MrkCrwly
    replied

I like the look of the RS Tweets and Paul offered to design it.

IIRC Paul designed these to hit in the 30's on the low end. I can only hear to 12,000 so the top end is way more than enough.

Haven't listened to that CD but I have no doubt that it would sound good. These are setup for music only (without a sub) and in my opinion they do not need a sub. Bass Guitar, Kick drums and tympanies sound fantastic on these speakers. Not sure what to call it but, very crisp and clean. i.e. not muddy in the least (if that means anything).

than the Forrests

Thank you. It was a tough descision. As much as I love throwing money out the window when driving on the freeway, I also enjoy woodworking.

Leave a comment:

• Hunter12
    replied

Super job, reminds me of Frank Loyd Wright's style of homes.
    It's also kinda like a "light house" the port at the bottom is the
    door for the light house keeper to enter, the 7" driver is the
    high powered candle and of course there is a roof on top to keep
    everyting dry and cosy for the lonely guy. Neat stuff.

Of all the enclosure I have built out of cardboard the "Amiga's"
    are my wifes favorite. She says Amigo guys love to sing and
    dance and are always happy.

than the Forrests.

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Well, I can tell you that I think the OS MTM's have great presence and get better and better. About to pair them w/ a variation of your Pony sub (build thread to come).

My sister has commented frequently on how much she likes the Swope MTs I gave her for Christmas. Combined them w/ a DTA-100 amp for a ncie compact package.

I'll be heading down the core road as well.

Originally posted by Paul Carmody
    Anyway, I like to share my talents, and I like to entertain--and I REALLY like music. I don't see this as a viable source of income anyway. I can make much better "side money" just playing a few nights in an orchestra pit.

I'm very glad the speakers have been well-received, Mark. It's time to update my website and post this design.

Leave a comment:

• theLinks
    replied

What a great story! There are so many good and kind people on this forum.
    Tim

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

That's really funny. Let me tell you my counterpoint story...

(my parents come over to visit)
    My wife: Paul's been doing lots of speaker designs lately for people all over the world!
    My parents: Are you charging for it?
    Me: No.
    My parents: Well, Paul, that's nice that you want to be so generous, but your time is worth something.
    Me: I know. But I like it. I like the experience of it.
    My parents: But you gotta charge something. Even if it's just an hourly fee.
    Me: Well, sometimes people "pay" me in drivers.
    My parents: Well, I suppose that's good that they're paying you in goods. But still, wouldn't it be nice to make some extra money?
    Me: I don't know. I have a day job. This is my hobby. I like the creative challenge of it; it keeps my mind active.
    My wife: But Paul likes doing this.

...and the conversation kind of dwindles from there. Anyway, I like to share my talents, and I like to entertain--and I REALLY like music. I don't see this as a viable source of income anyway. I can make much better "side money" just playing a few nights in an orchestra pit.

I'm very glad the speakers have been well-received, Mark. It's time to update my website and post this design.

Leave a comment:

• BarryV
    replied

Core 2 Way Build Reactions and Lessons Learned

When I tell the Core build story to family and close friends they all had the same bewilderment.

Friends and Family: Wait a minute, you bought $200 worth of speakers and had them delivered to a guy in Chicago?
    Me: Yes. Actually I believe it’s a suburb of Chicago.
    Friends and Family: Is he friends with Aryn? (My Nephew who lives in Chicago.)
    Me: Nope.
    Friends and Family: You only know him because he posts on a forum?
    Me: Well yes, but he also has his own web site.
    Friends and Family: So this guy you never ever met said he would be glad to design a speaker for you for “free” if you send him $200 worth of speakers?
    Me: Well no I never personally met him, but others on the forum have met him at DIY speaker events.
    Friends and Family: So you have met the other forum members that have met the Chicago guy.
    Me: Well so far I haven’t attended any DIY events, but some of the forum members that may have met him have over 12,000 posts.
    Friends and Family: We always knew you had more money than brains but till now you were to too cheap to prove it. You aren’t also on a forum with the son of the King of Nigeria are you?

At this point I play them some music thru the Cores.

Friends and Family: Wow, those are absolutely amazing. You really need to thank that nice guy you don’t know that lives somewhere in Illinois and has a website. He is obviously a genius.

Lessons learned:
    Is there a "Favorite Tech-Talk post" thread? This one will be hard to beat.

Leave a comment:

• MrkCrwly
    replied

Core 2 Way Build Reactions and Lessons Learned

When I tell the Core build story to family and close friends they all had the same bewilderment.

Friends and Family: Wait a minute, you bought $200 worth of speakers and had them delivered to a guy in Chicago?
    Me: Yes. Actually I believe it’s a suburb of Chicago.
    Friends and Family: Is he friends with Aryn? (My Nephew who lives in Chicago.)
    Me: Nope.
    Friends and Family: You only know him because he posts on a forum?
    Me: Well yes, but he also has his own web site.
    Friends and Family: So this guy you never ever met said he would be glad to design a speaker for you for “free” if you send him $200 worth of speakers?
    Me: Well no I never personally met him, but others on the forum have met him at DIY speaker events.
    Friends and Family: So you have met the other forum members that have met the Chicago guy.
    Me: Well so far I haven’t attended any DIY events, but some of the forum members that may have met him have over 12,000 posts.
    Friends and Family: We always knew you had more money than brains but till now you were to too cheap to prove it. You aren’t also on a forum with the son of the King of Nigeria are you?

At this point I play them some music thru the Cores.

Lessons learned:

Leave a comment:

• MrkCrwly
    replied

Originally posted by Paul Carmody
    Wow! You hit that one out of the ballpark. Really tastefully matched to the fireplace--which is also beautiful, by the way. These will be going on my website soon. :D
    That would be an honor. Let me know if you need any info or higher res pics.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

Wow! You hit that one out of the ballpark. Really tastefully matched to the fireplace--which is also beautiful, by the way. These will be going on my website soon. :D

Leave a comment:

• james_e5
    replied

Those look awesome! Perfect match for the fireplace!

-j

Leave a comment:

Working...