X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrkCrwly
    replied
    Re: Core 2-Way - Build Tread

Detail pics of the finished cabinet. I sure like the look of the RS drivers.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0400.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1132917 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0402.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1132916 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1132913 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0413.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1132914 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0415.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1132915

Leave a comment:

• MrkCrwly
    replied

Speakers complete.

Name:	IMG_0396.jpg
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1132908 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0399.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1132909 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0404.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1132910
    OK. Complete except for some screws.

Name:	IMG_0405.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1132911
    Goal of the design was to complement the fireplace. (No, that is not where the speaker will be placed.)

Name:	IMG_0410.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1132912

Leave a comment:

• MrkCrwly
    replied

Originally posted by Soundslike View Post
    Mark,
    You are amazing! Your architectural training and experience reaallly shows. Very nice design. I'll have to admit -- I'm envious...

Ron
    Thank you. That is very kind.

Leave a comment:

• Soundslike
    replied

Mark,
    You are amazing! Your architectural training and experience reaallly shows. Very nice design. I'll have to admit -- I'm envious...

Ron

Leave a comment:

• MrkCrwly
    replied

Speakers are done except for the walnut accent strips and tweaking the stuffing and port length.

Name:	IMG_0374.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1132903
    Accent strips after some poly.

Name:	IMG_0391.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1132907 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0386.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1132904
    Attaching the accents strips.

Name:	IMG_0393.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1132905 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0395.jpg
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1132906
    Pieces of the foam that protected the RS180 surround during shipping made perfect glue clamps.

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Ha-Ha. 30 liter NET (no fat finger this time) TRS-80 - Amiga - ZX Spectrum - Core and whatever else box.

It exceeds max excursion below 35HZ (the F3 point), but the peak is broad enough that is it over 20m/s from 25 to 45 Hz.

I don't doubt that it sounds sweet at 75 dB. The box model calculates that volume at less than a watt and port velocity at 8m/s. I don't doubt the design, but I wouldn't have expected velocity that high.

I think Paul uses Unibox and I would be curious to see a port velocity plot form the Amiga or TRS-80. Paul typically doesn't post those results.

Frankly the 2 1/2 in port puts a 2 or 3 dB peak at the tuning frequency.

Originally posted by MrkCrwly View Post
    I'm not big on the technical end of things, but maybe it is because you called it the "30 liter next box" and not the "30 liter TRS80-Amiga-ZX Spectrum-Core box". NeXT may be the next one.:rolleyes:
    BTW Currently I am setup with a 2" dia x 2 1/2" long port. I have been listening in the 70-80 db range and heard nothing but sweet music.

Leave a comment:

• MrkCrwly
    replied

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
    Paul / Mark,

When I model the box in Jeff's Woofer Box, I get extremely high port velocity.
    I have a 30 liter next box 2x3.5 vent whixh tunes the box to 38Hz. Using Zaph's TS params. Response pretty flat. 102dB @30 watts F3/F10 35/29, but port velocity is 39 m/s>

What did I miss?
    I'm not big on the technical end of things, but maybe it is because you called it the "30 liter next box" and not the "30 liter TRS80-Amiga-ZX Spectrum-Core box". NeXT may be the next one.:rolleyes:
    BTW Currently I am setup with a 2" dia x 2 1/2" long port. I have been listening in the 70-80 db range and heard nothing but sweet music.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
    I have a 30 liter next box 2x3.5 vent whixh tunes the box to 38Hz. Using Zaph's TS params. Response pretty flat. 102dB @30 watts F3/F10 35/29, but port velocity is 39 m/s>

What did I miss?
    I think you've gone past the driver's max excursion.

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Paul / Mark,

What did I miss?

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
    Hmm... didn't realize I had changed the bass tuning. Geez, you guys are always pointing out my mistakes--you're like my students! ;)

I looked back over the simulations in Unibox. They're both OK, actually. 2.5" long will give a hint more low end boost, where the 3.5" is maybe just a bit rolled off. The difference is pretty slight, though. Do you have any way of trying both lengths, Mark?

Leave a comment:

• Soundslike
    replied

Very nice. I too love the quarter-sawn oak. Your design has a classic look to it, with modern touches. Great looking, and surely this design will have a very high SAF rating.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

That quarter-sawn white oak is looking great!! I'm going to be using some again on another build.

Leave a comment:

• MrkCrwly
    replied

[ATTACH]13806[/ATTACH]
    Kind of a shame that no one will see the bottom. To get the cabinet to sit on all 4 feet, I taped sandpaper to my table saw top and flattened the bottom of the b a l l s.
    [ATTACH]13807[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]13808[/ATTACH]
    The only thing I have left to construct is the walnut accent strip that is applied on top of this ledge.
    [ATTACH]13809[/ATTACH]
    The solid oak top and bottom are attached to the cabinet with 4 screws each.

Leave a comment:

• MrkCrwly
    replied

I stained all of the wood and coated with about 5 coats of gloss wipe on poly. The feet are beech b-lls (dang censor) painted flat black and secured with 2" screws with head cut off to thread into the base.

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1132798

Name:	IMG_0341.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1132800

Name:	IMG_0346.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1132801

Name:	IMG_0363.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1132802

The ports have been cut to allow flexibility from 2 1/2" to about 4" or so.

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1132799

Leave a comment:

• MrkCrwly
    replied

Originally posted by Soundslike View Post
    Mark,
    I'm really, really, impressed with your wood-working skills, your artistic creativity, and the ingenuity evident everywhere throughout this build. Very nice work. I picked up a bunch of tips -- thanks for taking the time to document your build. You are a true speaker building artist..

Grasshopper

I'd love to hear your listening impressions...
    Thank you. High praise coming from you. I hope to be listening to them in the next day or so.
    You should put a link to your TriTrix build in your signature. Now that is a build thread. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519

Leave a comment:

• Soundslike
    replied

Mark,
    I'm really, really, impressed with your wood-working skills, your artistic creativity, and the ingenuity evident everywhere throughout this build. Very nice work. I picked up a bunch of tips -- thanks for taking the time to document your build. You are a true speaker building artist..

Grasshopper

I'd love to hear your listening impressions...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X