Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrkCrwly
    replied
    Re: Core 2-Way - Build Tread

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the comments.
    I learned an important tip last night. When drilling thru the cabinet that has foam on the back, don't drill into the foam. Especially when your drill is set to high speed going full tilt. It tried its darnest to pull the entire matress pad thru the 1/8" hole. I also learned how much harder it is to patch the foam inside thru a speaker hole than it was without a baffle. Gotta thank Undef for using a 7 incher on this design.

Leave a comment:

• PWR RYD
    replied

The veneer looks great! I'll have to try that sometime :eek:

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied

Nicely done, Mark, nicely done.

Leave a comment:

• Filius
    replied

Very nice. This is an excellent example of why I will never do a build thread.

Leave a comment:

• MrkCrwly
    replied

Veneering is now complete. This was my first veneer job and I am very pleased and shocked by how smooth it went. My method was very simple. I wet the paper backing of the veneer with a sponge and then spread a coat of Titebond II on it with a mini foam roller. I then spread Titebond II to the cabinet and placed the veneer. I placed 2-3/4" mdf cauls on top and clamped tight. I was surprised with how well the corners matched.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0330.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1132601 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0328.jpg
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1132602 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0332.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1132603 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0331.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1132604

Leave a comment:

• MrkCrwly
    replied

Originally posted by Mayhem13
    Coming along very nicely i must say! Really like the plinth cap too.
    Thanks. Plinth is the Merriam Webster word of the day.

Leave a comment:

• Mayhem13
    replied

Coming along very nicely i must say! Really like the plinth cap too.

Leave a comment:

• kmibb
    replied

Originally posted by MrkCrwly
    Good point. I could probably get a "factory refurbished" bracelet on the cheap.
    You'd better hope they did it properly, you wouldn't want the hologram in your bracelet to be matched to someone else's energy waves.

Leave a comment:

• marvin
    replied

Originally posted by MrkCrwly
    ............ I decided on the Core's (Amiga Family) because Paul said they had a "boutique" sound. (I figured anybody that can use french words to describe a speaker must know what he is doing.:D)
    Ooooooh I'm not too sure french words are a valid qualifier for fine work........I can imagine many a speaker builder using french words during a build followed, of course, by the requisite "excuse my french":D

Wave guide or no, I find the design very attractive. Nice work!

Leave a comment:

• MrkCrwly
    replied

Name:	IMG_0305.jpg
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1132493
    Cabinet lined with $13 KMart twin size bed topper foam pad. It is probably better as a speaker liner than a bed topper.

Name:	IMG_0310.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1132494
    Foam lining at top of cabinet.

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1132495
    View from inside of cabinet without baffle.

Name:	IMG_0317.jpg
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1132496
    Baffle installed with biscuits and glue.

Name:	IMG_0322.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1132497
    Cold press veneering of removable panel. Trying Titebond II. Put a thin coat on both the veneer and the cabinet using a autobody plastic spreader.

Leave a comment:

• Filius
    replied

I agree on the look of the tall cabs with the 2-way drivers. I wanted a floorstander this time. Plus the fact that I have built Paul's OSMTMs and love their sound, and he says the Amigas sound similar (but presumably even better).

Leave a comment:

• MrkCrwly
    replied

I love my TriTrix. It is pretty much a dedicated 5.1 home theater setup and I wanted a music system upstairs. I decided on the Core's (Amiga Family) because Paul said they had a "boutique" sound. (I figured anybody that can use french words to describe a speaker must know what he is doing.:D) Actually my reason for building the Core is I like the tall slender cabinet 2 way look. I was also considering Marty's elegant Coppers.
    The TriTrix are an absolute bargain at $120 a pair. Just the other night my wife said that the TriTrix make Glee a must watch program. (OK that is a downside, but you get the point.)
    So yes, I just had the itch.

Leave a comment:

• Filius
    replied

The pictures will be a big help once I get started building, so thanks.

By the way, how do you like your Tritrix, soundwise? When you decided to build the Amigas/Cores, was it because of anything lacking in the Tritrix, or just the itch to do another project? I ask because I'm still not 100% decided on what to build, though leaning heavily toward the Amigas with your cab design.

Leave a comment:

• MrkCrwly
    replied

Baffle routed for speakers. I will knock out the centers after the laminate is trimmed. I cut the speaker recesses 1/8" shy to allow me to route a little mdf when I trim the veneer. Intent is to minimize the possibility of veneer tearout. Not sure if it is a good idea but I dont see how it would hurt. Picked up some heavy polyester batting at JoAnn's to line the cabinet walls.

Name:	IMG_0295.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1132429 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0299s.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1132431 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0298.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1132433 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	1132432 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0303.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1132434

Leave a comment:

• MrkCrwly
    replied

Originally posted by Filius
    Well anyway, the design is ingenious. I hope to make a feeble attempt at copying it. Have you made any further progress since you last posted pics? I especially want to know your listening impressions. I had almost decided to do the Amigas when I heard about the Cores and now I'm in a quandary.
    Thank you. I have the baffle routed for speakers and just will glue it on as soon as I find some open cell foam to line the walls. The oak caps and base are cut and ready to sand.
    Paul Carmody would be better to ask about the sound since he has recently heard the Amigas and designed the Core. The Amiga's tweet costs less so that may be your best bang for the buck. I'm a visual guy and I love the look of the RS28A/F. Not sure there is a wrong or right choice just preferences.
    Here is Paul's Core 2 Way design link that may help:

Leave a comment:

Working...