Check this potential build out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check this potential build out!

I have a customer who wants me to build him the best possible stand mount 2-way. The catch is he wants a woofer bigger than 7" for more 'scale' and extension, and he wants a ribbon ... and it has to be a 2-way. Budget isn't much of a concern for him. So look what I've suggested, and what it looks like I'm going to get to work with.

These - http://www.e-speakers.com/-strse-378...rce/Detail.bok

and these - https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8793

They'd be crossed in the 800-1000hz range, in a new design CNC cut translam cabinet with a paper phenolic baffle ... and probably using the matching 8" Accuton passive radiator.

I'd work for free just to have the chance to play with drivers like that!
    Vapor Audio

Re: Check this potential build out!

Originally posted by DoubleTap View Post
    I have a customer who wants me to build him the best possible stand mount 2-way. The catch is he wants a woofer bigger than 7" for more 'scale' and extension, and he wants a ribbon ... and it has to be a 2-way. Budget isn't much of a concern for him. So look what I've suggested, and what it looks like I'm going to get to work with.

These - http://www.e-speakers.com/-strse-378...rce/Detail.bok

and these - https://www.madisound.com/store/prod...oducts_id=8793

They'd be crossed in the 800-1000hz range, in a new design CNC cut translam cabinet with a paper phenolic baffle ... and probably using the matching 8" Accuton passive radiator.

Can I come over and help?
    R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Can I come over and help?
      I'll let you do some sanding ...
      Vapor Audio

Comment

Looks like a super fun job. I wouldn't even touch the drivers in Xavier's Accuton WMTMW figuring I'd put a hole in one of em.

At 26 lbs,:eek: that ribbon might deserve special attention for mounting! You think you might spring for good baltic or appleply on that build? ;)
        Lou's Speaker Site [speakers.lonesaguaro.com]
        "Different" is objective, "better" is subjective. Taste is not a provable fact.
        Where are you John Galt? I may not be worthy, but I'm ready.

Comment

Originally posted by LouC View Post
          At 26 lbs,:eek: that ribbon might deserve special attention for mounting! You think you might spring for good baltic or appleply on that build? ;)
          Check out this pic for some scale of the sheer size of that tweeter. The cabs will be Baltic Ply, baffle would be phenolic ... so strength wouldn't be a problem.

Vapor Audio

Comment

What about a 2.5 way instead? If you look at the price differential in terms of a percentage, it would be a cheap upgrade! ;)

Comment

Do not work for free!

I don't know how much you need to make to quit your job at the weather service, but if you are stepping into a clientele of this level charge what you want to be able to break away from your day job. This guy has friends who will want to outdo him.
              DP

Comment

See, now THAT would be fun.
                Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

DT,

Since I do not know I will ask. What will that ribbon provide that say a RAAL would not? Thanks.

James

Comment

Perhaps you should inform your customer there are plenty of 6.5 - 7" drivers that will do everything that accuton does, and probably better? Add in the high-end extension, and you could use the RAAL OEM driver, which is the only ribbonesque driver that appears to be made properly ...
                    I am trolling you.

Comment

I take it you haven't actually heard an Accuton driver, have you?

Ryan- if you invite Petey over to play, make sure he knows 'no touchy!', 'Mine!' :D:p

Later,
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by exojam View Post
                        DT,

Since I do not know I will ask. What will that ribbon provide that say a RAAL would not? Thanks.

James
                        An 800hz crossover point ...

Originally posted by MagicO309d View Post
                        What about a 2.5 way instead? If you look at the price differential in terms of a percentage, it would be a cheap upgrade! ;)
                        We'd be talking floorstander then ... it has to be a stand mount

Originally posted by MSaturn View Post
                        Perhaps you should inform your customer there are plenty of 6.5 - 7" drivers that will do everything that accuton does, and probably better? Add in the high-end extension, and you could use the RAAL OEM driver, which is the only ribbonesque driver that appears to be made properly ...
                        Please show me a 7" driver that can do everything the Accuton does. High sensitivity, great extension, tons of detail and virtually no distortion.

If you read my first post of the requirements given, I can't see any other way to meet them. The RAAL 70-20XR is limited to ~2000hz crossover, the bigger 140-15D can go a bit lower and could be an option. But he wants a stiff cone 8" woofer which means the crossover really needs to be more in the 1000hz range, and there's no other ribbon I know of that can get close to going that low other than the Raven.
                        Vapor Audio

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                          I take it you haven't actually heard an Accuton driver, have you?

Ryan- if you invite Petey over to play, make sure he knows 'no touchy!', 'Mine!' :D:p

Later,
                          Wolf
                          Not that particular one, I have heard the ferite magnet C220 Accuton though many times. Since his budget accomodates, I like the Neo option in this application since it'll allow the final speaker to be around 3+ db more sensitive. The guy has some crazy looking monoblock tube amps that he sent pictures of, they look like something out of Dr Frankensteins lab and are about $20K each.
                          Vapor Audio

Comment

Those speakers suck!

...sorry, just thought I'd throw that out there. Now you go ahead and prove me wrong.
                            I'm not deaf, I'm just not listening!

Comment

Not that particular one, I have heard the ferite magnet C220 Accuton though many times. Since his budget accomodates, I like the Neo option in this application since it'll allow the final speaker to be around 3+ db more sensitive. The guy has some crazy looking monoblock tube amps that he sent pictures of, they look like something out of Dr Frankensteins lab and are about $20K each.
                              I was saying that to MS, as I know you've heard at least a pair of mids. The bottom comment was for you.
                              Later,
                              Wolf
                              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                              https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                              X