• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ckmoore
    replied
    Re: Build Thread: SR71-inspired Center Channel

Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
    Hell yeah.

Wait til you see how I mill the baffles holes and recesses with the rotary table... pix coming soon
    I think a video is in order....

Leave a comment:

• PassingInterest
    replied

Okay, I'm calling a Foul, but only because I don't have acess to an end mill.
    Just kidding.
    Cool build!

Leave a comment:

• lunchmoney
    replied

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
    A milling machine!?!? Are you farking kidding me? That's gotta be the ultimate build tool.
    Hell yeah.

Wait til you see how I mill the baffles holes and recesses with the rotary table... pix coming soon

Leave a comment:

• Paul Carmody
    replied

A milling machine!?!? Are you farking kidding me? That's gotta be the ultimate build tool.

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Originally posted by MrkCrwly View Post
    Great build as usual Lunch. You had better not be soldering on that pretty white oak table. :D
    I am thinking of using the same (or square) speaker terminal in my build. Looks good in your picture.
    Those Binding post plates are really nice, I have a pair of the black ones currently, they're heavy too. Quality

Leave a comment:

• johnlinvell
    replied

Another great build thread. Keep up the great work.

Leave a comment:

• MrkCrwly
    replied

Great build as usual Lunch. You had better not be soldering on that pretty white oak table. :D
    I am thinking of using the same (or square) speaker terminal in my build. Looks good in your picture.

Leave a comment:

• lunchmoney
    replied

Leave a comment:

• greywarden
    replied

Lookin good! How does that sonic barrier stuff work? I've contemplated buying it a few times, just can't bring myself to spending that much, not that I've actually got anything else to use or used anyhting else, yet...

Leave a comment:

• lunchmoney
    replied

Wall lining installed... 2" fiberglass knauf board on the back panel, .5" PE Sonic Barrier on the top, bottom, and sides... hiking boots by Lowa :rolleyes:

Inside end of the precision port installed, solvent-bonded with MEK...

Crossover compartment door...

Crossover ready for voicing... 4 of the components aren't installed yet, I'll be trying different values when the time comes. The loose wires trailing off of the board are for connecting components via test leads. That's a Matrix board from Madisound (the green square, not the Radio shack board behind it), first time I've tried one. I'm a fan, will use these from now on. Made layout and soldering a lot easier. $7 well spent...

Leave a comment:

• lunchmoney
    replied

Braces and crossover compartment divider glued in...

Here I used the milling machine to face off the edges of the walls and braces... did this on both sides... this ensures an absolutely flat surface to glue the front and back onto...

Back panel and the back of the precision port clamped up. Used 5 minute epoxy for the port...

Leave a comment:

• mzisserson
    replied

Looking good! How do I know??? I was there! Amazing to have such a shop at your fingertips. It was also a lot of fun to hang with another builder... and build!

Leave a comment:

• lunchmoney
    replied

Top, bottom, and sides glued up...

Cutting out the braces...

Leave a comment:

• lunchmoney
    replied

Originally posted by djg View Post
    The grille should cancel any psycho-acoustic effects from looking at the asymmetrical layout. And keep fingers out too.
    Ha!

Yeah, I can't help wondering how many center channels out there have less than optimal performance because of a pointless requirement that they be visually symmetrical.

If all goes well, this should perform better than many MTM center channels, despite the asymmetrical layout.

Leave a comment:

• lunchmoney
    replied

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    if your avr is crossed low, i think youll notice a big difference. nice build. nice of john to help out.
    My Yamaha receiver crosses at 90 hz.

The mains are also high-passed, I noticed a big difference in mid bass when swapping the Tritrix mains for the SR71 mains.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X