X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Build Thread: SR71-inspired Center Channel

Originally posted by fbov View Post
    Jim,
    BSC requirement is defined by baffle width, but you're primarily interested in the upper bass and midrange wavelengths, so it's small changes from the design width that would define an intermediate BSC. A 5' wide entertainment center would just hold a moderate size flat panel, and affect frequencies below ~100Hz, which is just about sub territory.

I used the in-wall, no BSC design in a similar application because the BSC design is boomy.

HAve fun,
    Frank
    I'm assuming "Baffle width" to be defined as the width being the shortest dimension regardless of whether it's in the horizontal or vertical plane. Sure, the cabinet might be 6' wide, but the drivers are only a matter of inches away from the top of the cabinet, which then of course holds a 50" tv which is set back a foot. To me, that becomes a much more complicated baffle step issue than an imaginary speaker box that's 6' wide... but maybe I'm over complicating things. I intend to measure this, but because the setup sits so close to the floor, I'm not sure how meaningful my low frequency measurements can be.

Comment

You're right about what defines the baffle width, but only in clear space.

The furniture, floor and TV - all surfaces near the speaker - become part of the baffle, and thus the LF response. There are big waveform interactions with other nearby objects, but not at low frequencies; the complication is not resolved by long wavelengths.

The complication, if you measure FR, is to resolve room/placement effects independently of the speaker design. Fortunately, BSC is a broad-band effect, superimposed on the room modes and surface bounces peculiar to your relative speaker-room interaction. In my case, I'm sensitive to overall tonal balance, so my ears knew about the problem long before I understood BSC.

Have fun,
      Frank

Comment

Originally posted by fbov View Post
        I used the in-wall, no BSC design in a similar application because the BSC design is boomy.
        It is? Are we talking about SR71's here?

The original SR71 BSC design I found to be a tad too warm and heavy in the midrange, but IMO "boomy" is not accurate.

This was with the speakers on stands, with nothing around them to act as baffle.

A very slight decrease in BSC (reducing woofer inductor from 3.3 mh to 3.0 mh) was all that was required to solve the slightly heavy midrange.

To my ears, anyways, and of course other aspects of the setup (the room, the components, the source, etc) could have a big impact here.

"boomy" is light years away from how I would have described the original bsc.

Form does not follow function
        Form is simultaneous to function

Comment

Working...
        X