Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First timer TriTrix/DIY speaker question

Hello All,

For those of you who haven’t seen, I have spend the last few weeks putting together a pair of the TriTrixes using the kit from PE. This was my first go at DIY. My progress can be found here: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222073 I was going to buy a set of Monitor Audio BR5’s or BR6’s, but ended up finding all of these great comments about the TriTrix speaker set (the price helped too).

At this point I have everything put together with the exception of putting on the final enclosure side. I have been changing the stuffing and then re-clamping the side then listening to the speakers. This brings me to my questions; again I am very new to this DIY stuff so please excuse my rudimentary question.

1. Is there a way to “test” everything to make sure is wired and working properly besides just listening?

I want to make sure I didn’t make any mistakes in the build and all of the components of the XO are working correctly. I was expecting a little lower end from the speaker. However, let me be clear, I have GREATLY enjoyed the speakers up to this point. They are much cleaner and clearer than the speakers I will be replacing.

I really appreciate any comments or help!

Later,
    Mike

Re: First timer TriTrix/DIY speaker question

Well, as I'm sure you've read in other Tritrix threads, the woofers have to break in to achieve full output.

I'll catch up to you this weekend!

Old DIY's vs. new. :D

Comment

Thanks for the reply Steve; I appreciate you taking time to help a newbie out!

It's all a new learning experience for me. Maybe, my ears haven't a chance to listen to "real" speakers before and they need a little more refining.

Later,
      Mike

Comment

When I first built my Tritrixes, I used a whole bag (1 pound) of Accustuff per speaker. They didn't have much low end even after a week or so of break in. Then Curt C. suggested that I had them way over stuffed and to only use about 1/2 pound per speaker. I did that and WOW they really sounded good. I didn't need to have a side removable to change the line stuffing. Just removing both woofers allowed me to reach in and pull some out or add some... but I don't have huge frying pan hands :D
        Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Thanks for your input Craig,

I think you have just reminded me about one of my own personal flaws; I worry and think to much. :p I must be scared to seal everything up. I put alot of thought into the build that will allow me to make changes if necessary. I just need to seal them up and start listening to them. Let them break in and adjust the Accustuff as I feel necessary...

Later,
          Mike

Comment

How much Accustuff did you get with your enclosure kit? I know in the pics and description I'm supposed to get two, but I only received one.

Comment

I received 2 bags when I ordered the parts kit about 18 months ago (no knock down enclosures, just the drivers, crossover components, stuffing, and binding posts). I remember Curt saying he didn't know why they included so much in the kit.
              Craig

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB123 View Post
                How much Accustuff did you get with your enclosure kit? I know in the pics and description I'm supposed to get two, but I only received one.
                Like you I only received one bag.

Comment

I received one bag. I called them and they shipped out another. Just arrived today. While I might not need two bags it is listed on the site as included in the kit.

Duane

Comment

I wanted to give you guys an update. Yesterday I made some slight additions using Accustuff. I have pictures of the final suffing before sealing everything up (see the link at the top of the thread). After letting everything cure over night, I got a chance to listen to them. All I can tell you is I am extremly happy!!!!

There was clearly a difference in clamping the side on vs. glueing and screwing. They were also placed closer to the wall.

They sounded Great!!!! Thanks for everyone's commments and suggestions.

Now I need to get them finished

Later,
                    Mike

Comment

Mike.. thank you for your posts.. I too am about to order the Tritrix kit. You have answered sooo many of the questions I've had about this build especially in regards to the fill and XO build and placement. So .. you ended up with eggcrate foam along the top and the back with a little less than half a bag in each? I'm about to place the order.. any suggestions on any other items I should order (have the eggcrate foam already, and have the security bit in the cart when I pull the trigger on the order)?
                      Thanks again,
                      Chris
                      Also... please post pics of the final product!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cwad8505 View Post
                        Mike.. thank you for your posts.. I too am about to order the Tritrix kit. You have answered sooo many of the questions I've had about this build especially in regards to the fill and XO build and placement. So .. you ended up with eggcrate foam along the top and the back with a little less than half a bag in each? I'm about to place the order.. any suggestions on any other items I should order (have the eggcrate foam already, and have the security bit in the cart when I pull the trigger on the order)?
                        Thanks again,
                        Chris
                        Also... please post pics of the final product!!!
                        Speaker gasket tape, perhaps some spikes.

Comment

Done.. thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X